Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Phone Unwanted Can't Return

Options
  • 01-12-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a repay smart phone from three. When I got home I realised I didn't want and thought I could return in under 14 day rule as i hadn't opened or inserted the sim. They say I can't - Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Did you buy it in a shop, the 14 day rule applies to online purchases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I recently bought a repay smart phone from three. When I got home I realised I didn't want and thought I could return in under 14 day rule as i hadn't opened or inserted the sim. They say I can't - Is this correct?

Yes it's correct. There's no right to change your mind when buying from a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They are correct. The 14 day rule refers to distance selling (phone/internet sales). There is no such protection for in-store sales

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Damn it

Anybody wanna buy a phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

What model phone is it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Unfortunately they are right. The 14 period only applies to online sales.

If you want to sell the phone, can I suggest www.adverts.ie? No selling of the phone in this thread please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

was the packaging opened? did you pay cash, card etc or a voucher like one4all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Found under a cabbage

In the same boat. Pity sales agent didnt draw my attention to no return policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭28064212

In the same boat. Pity sales agent didnt draw my attention to no return policy.
    Why would they? No returns is the default position. Unless a company chooses to have a specific policy that allows returns, the law says they do not need to accept them (excluding specific cases such as defective or unfit goods). You should never assume you can just return an item you've paid for

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ssmith6287 wrote: »

what difference would any of that make?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That has no impact on his rights regarding a change of mind return of a store purchase.

That has no impact on his rights regarding a change of mind return of a store purchase.

No impact on rights. A lot of shops however will allow a return once the packaging hasn't been opened and its within a certain time period. Also if you have paid with 14all the shop wont have been paid yet, nor will they be able to refund you.

No impact on rights. A lot of shops however will allow a return once the packaging hasn't been opened and its within a certain time period. Also if you have paid with 14all the shop wont have been paid yet, nor will they be able to refund you.

The OP has already said they won't let him return it. What 'a lot' of shops do is immaterial in this case.

The OP has already said they won't let him return it. What 'a lot' of shops do is immaterial in this case.

cool story....

reason I ask is because the OP has just said they never opened or inserted the sim, nothing about the phone. They haven't said which shop but I know Carphone warehouse, Eir/Meteor, and Vodafone will allow you to exchange a product providing the seal hasn't been broken on the box

cool story....

reason I ask is because the OP has just said they never opened or inserted the sim, nothing about the phone. They haven't said which shop but I know Carphone warehouse, Eir/Meteor, and Vodafone will allow you to exchange a product providing the seal hasn't been broken on the box

it doesnt matter what any of those shops do. he bought it from three. it says that in the OP. they will not do a return for change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If it was still in packaging there is a chance store would allow for exchange

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I bought and returned one in a vodafone shop previously with no issue. I know they don't have to, so perhaps it's just the store policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

cool story....

... it's a Three shop that's in the OP.

cruizer101 wrote: »

But, the OP has said that they won't. If and buts etc. don't change the reality of the situation and the fact that it's a change of mind and the store is perfectly within their rights.

cruizer101 wrote: »

are people just skipping to the end of threads these days? its only 2 pages long. from the OP
    They say I can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

The model is Samsung galaxy j5
    The packaging is open but all original packaging and accessories still there.
    I actually never went back to three store just asked online what policy was. Thought it was pointless going back to the shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

In that case it may be worth going to the store and asking them in person?
    Worst that can happen is they also say no... But the may use their discretion and take it back. Worth a shot IMO.

The model is Samsung galaxy j5
    The packaging is open but all original packaging and accessories still there.
    I actually never went back to three store just asked online what policy was. Thought it was pointless going back to the shop!

Once you've opened the packaging you can't return it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yeah, it's not sell-able after you've opened it. OP had originally said not opened, so bit of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Once you've broken the seal it can't be resold so it's definitely not going to be refunded anywhere.

Like was said already OP, sell on adverts and learn a lesson.

Advertisement