Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda Civic insurance for 19 full licence?

Options
  • 01-12-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey I'm about to have my full licence test soon (hopefully I pass first go) and I'm looking to get insurance on a civic preferably an ej9 1.4 looking a 00-02 , wondering how much it would be on my own policy ,I've had no previous insurance and I tried to get insured on a 1.3 Colt but there offering mad money quotes , anyone recommend or know a good company that will insure me for about 2000- max 3000 looking a nice jap corrola , Colt , civic etc. If anyone can help all advice is welcome thank you !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mike5000 wrote: »
    Hey I'm about to have my full licence test soon (hopefully I pass first go) and I'm looking to get insurance on a civic preferably an ej9 1.4 looking a 00-02 , wondering how much it would be on my own policy ,I've had no previous insurance and I tried to get insured on a 1.3 Colt but there offering mad money quotes , anyone recommend or know a good company that will insure me for about 2000- max 3000 looking a nice jap corrola , Colt , civic etc. If anyone can help all advice is welcome thank you !

I'm 35 and still paying over the odds on a Civic. Insurers just hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

wait until you're 45 that's when the price comes down

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mike5000

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm 35 and still paying over the odds on a Civic. Insurers just hate them.

I know bud but I want something nippy and jap as I'm a fan of japs and older cars , more than 3000 won't pay it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm in my forties and my premium increases when I went from a 2.5 alfa v6 to a 2.0 Honda

Insurance company told me they load them more

I know bud but I want something nippy and jap as I'm a fan of japs and older cars , more than 3000 won't pay it

Those old 1.4 civics aren't that nippy though. Maybe try an 02 onwards Corolla.

I went from a 3.0 jaguar 4 years ago to a 1.8 civic and my insurance went up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I doubt anyone will come in at that unless you looked at boxymo

Lot of companies won't insure older cars full stop

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm in my forties and my premium increases when I went from a 2.5 alfa v6 to a 2.0 Honda

Insurance company told me they load them more

Can't wait until I'm exactly 37 years old when I will get a sex change and lie about my job to get 200 euro insurance

Those old 1.4 civics aren't that nippy though. Maybe try an 02 onwards Corolla.

I went from a 3.0 jaguar 4 years ago to a 1.8 civic and my insurance went up.

One the lads has a 98 ej9 1.4 jap import thing is a bullet no mess

Can't wait until I'm exactly 37 years old when I will get a sex change and lie about my job to get 200 euro insurance

😂😂 haha your to right mate haha

I doubt anyone will come in at that unless you looked at boxymo

Lot of companies won't insure older cars full stop

Wouldn't go near that box mate load of bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wouldn't need a sex change , you could in theory identify as female

By 45 I'm expecting to be driving a skyline no boter with insurance lol

Wouldn't go near that box mate load of bollox

Well then if you get a quote it will be very high

I'd say 3000 would be half of it

Gatling wrote: »
    Wouldn't need a sex change , you could in theory identify as female

I tried to identify as a 37 year old but they weren't having any of it

It's all relative but a jap one might have 100bhp on jap fuel if you get the right engine version, some are 90. Irish ones are 75. Either way none are fast, but it all depends what you're comparing them to. An 02 corolla is 97bhp but is a bit heavier. Older 00-02 corolla is a bit lighter.

Well then if you get a quote it will be very high

I'd say 3000 would be half of it

Got quoted 3,200 on a 2007 s40 1.6D which is one of my options but I'd much prefer a little jap instead for the moment as I much prefer that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

One the lads has a 98 ej9 1.4 jap import thing is a bullet no mess

You will think a b series would be a spaceship so:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's all relative but a jap one might have 100bhp on jap fuel if you get the right engine version, some are 90. Irish ones are 75. Either way none are fast, but it all depends what you're comparing them to. An 02 corolla is 97bhp but is a bit heavier. Older 00-02 corolla is a bit lighter.

The Irish EK 1.4 civics were 90bhp.
    Same as the 1.4 EP versions.

The 1.4 Ford Focus of the same era had 75bho hence the civic was always faster.

For my age and budget those type of cars are best for me to make them fast well even though not much bhp can be gotten from 1.3,1.4 but since there light will make a good enough rocket eith s few bolt on mods

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    LOL, a bullet! Seriously though you are going to get killed trying to get on a Civic. Paying mad money for something that isn't even quick. Why bother? Get something crap for a year or two then buy something nicer.

Wouldn't be able to lol bin driving since I'm 17 I want something decent

• Advertisement

For my age and budget those type of cars are best for me to make them fast well even though not much bhp can be gotten from 1.3,1.4 but since there light will make a good enough rocket eith s few bolt on mods

And will you be declaring the nods to your insurance?

Not being smart, but you're coming across as someone I'd like to see fail the test tbh

What car would you recommend then that would be jap nice and nippy within the 3k insurance bracket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

The only bolt on that will do anything to improve power on (relatively) tiny engines is forced induction - ie a turbo or supercharger.

Insure what you can for now and save the mod money to buy/build a better yoke when you get a few years ncb under your belt.

If you can, go for something like a starlet or corolla of the same vintage as the civic, those little starlets are great craic with the revvy 1.3 4efe in em. They shouldn't have the same insurance loading as the Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The days of ej9 civics and e10 corollas as first cars are gone you will have to pay mad money to insure one and most won't even quote ya.

90bhp 1.4 civics aren't bad the 75bhp ones are dead enough though however the intake is the only difference in them.

What you really need is something above 03 but it's genuinely a case of newer the better with insurance companies.

1.3 yaris or 1.4d4d
    1.4vvti e12 corolla or 1.4drd
    1.3 Honda jazz
    1.3 daihatsu sirion
    1.3 Suzuki swift
    1.4 ep civic (I think i remember hearing these are awkward insure for young drivers)
    1.3 Mazda 3

Slight drop in ride height and nice dished/concave alloys and any of the above can look fairly alright

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nippy is the reason why they are not liked

I'm well aquatinted with the b16s :))and b18s and kseries but there's a better chance Jesus will come than me getting insurance on an em1 :))

I'm well aquatinted with the b16s :))and b18s and kseries but there's a better chance Jesus will come than me getting insurance on an em1 :))

The days of ej9 civics and e10 corollas as first cars are gone you will have to pay mad money to insure one and most won't even quote ya.

90bhp 1.4 civics aren't bad the 75bhp ones are dead enough though however the intake is the only difference in them.

What you really need is something above 03 but it's genuinely a case of newer the better with insurance companies.

1.3 yaris or 1.4d4d
    1.4vvti e12 corolla or 1.4drd
    1.3 Honda jazz
    1.3 daihatsu sirion
    1.3 Suzuki swift
    1.4 ep civic (I think i remember hearing these are awkward insure for young drivers)
    1.3 Mazda 3

Slight drop in ride height and nice dished/concave alloys and any of the above can look fairly alright

Your right mate I totally agree with you but prefer older gen cars not a fan of new styling at all

Just seen the "bolt on comments" the 4zzfe 1.4 vvti Toyota engine can be tuned to 120bhp by using 1.8 1zzfe bits (1.8 injectors, throttle body and intake) they've a self learning ecu so it's handy enough do.

• Advertisement

Your right mate I totally agree with you but prefer older gen cars not a fan of new styling at all

Liberty are your only hope so but at 19 with no Ncb I wouldn't hold out too much hope all ya can do is get the rest the get on the phone with plenty of different regs off examples of cars you want and pray you get a quote

Advertisement