Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does every product have it's own code? so stores know you bought it from them

Options
  • 01-12-2016 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

When you purchase something, anything from a retailer, store,
    Wouldn't every product have it's identification code?

Would that be enough for the store to prove you bought an item from them?
    In a situation where you don't have a receipt any more, lost it or whatever.

I have a set of headphones that stopped working after a few weeks,
    Didn't have time to bring them back so it's been 3+ months, they have
    a 12 month warranted, but i lost the receipt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Sounds wrote: »
    When you purchase something, anything from a retailer, store,
    Wouldn't every product have it's identification code?

Would that be enough for the store to prove you bought an item from them?
    In a situation where you don't have a receipt any more, lost it or whatever.

I have a set of headphones that stopped working after a few weeks,
    Didn't have time to bring them back so it's been 3+ months, they have
    a 12 month warranted, but i lost the receipt.

No. How on earth would that happen?
    It's up to you to prove you bought them there, did you pay by card? The card statement is also proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Well no I didn't use a card unfortunately, just thought maybe there would be a product ID code of some sort, serial code.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Even if the item could only have come from one shop without asking for proof of purchase they would be wide open to items being shoplifted and then later returned for full cash refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Pharmaceutical industry is just getting there with every final customer unit having a unique code, called Serialisation. It's to protect the customer and of course the legitimate manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

They have batch numbers that can be traced if they want to go through a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They have batch numbers that can be traced if they want to go through a lot of hassle.

The manufacturer might do. The store itself wouldn't have access to these.

EMar Sounds

Yea I'm just thinking ahead, like tracking the item back to the manufacturers by its serial / batch number.
    It would obviously have only been sold to one retailer, the one I purchased it from, for 60 euro not worth the hassle, to them.
    They don't have to take it back and I understand that, but they could track it back to the day they purchased it if they wanted.
    Might just post it back to the manufacturer in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Other than the receipt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds wrote: »
    Yea I'm just thinking ahead, like tracking the item back to the manufacturers by its serial / batch number.
    It would obviously have only been sold to one retailer, the one I purchased it from, for 60 euro not worth the hassle, to them.
    They don't have to take it back and I understand that, but they could track it back to the day they purchased it if they wanted.
    Might just post it back to the manufacturer in Germany.

The manufacturer is unlikely to deal with this without proof you purchased the item.

• Advertisement

EMar Sounds

They'd prob do the same to me, sounds like it's not worth the hassle..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most products don't have any form of warranty registration at all - the receipt is the golden standard for proof of date of purchase.

If its lost, mentioning registration isn't much help!

EMar Sounds

I went through the Authentication process on the manufacturers site, gonna try register it too,
    Has a two year warranty on it, box has serial and scan code thing which passed their authentication process,
    Yea I know, that doesn't prove I bought the product, without the receipt.. just wanted to dig in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

If it's seinnheiser chance your arm.
    Common sense might prevail if it's a model that was released this year, therefore they'd know it's within warrenty. You need to be smart. Do not say you lost your receipt. It is an easy response. I worked in a mobile shop were I dealt with warranty repairs and any faulty product that was purchased withen 18 months of initial EU release of a model was generally replaced without question of a receipt. Products above that required proof of purchase
    Find a contact/ email and explain how your expectation levels where very high prior to the purchase and you are very saddened that the product has just stopped working bla bla bia

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The law requests that you furnish "proof of purchase" and any retailer is entitled to insist on this. Of course, some will go the extra distance and accept other forms. But they are not obliged to.

Depending on the product, and if it has a serial number, it may be possible to trace that serial number from manufacturer to retailer. However, that would be dependent on serial numbers being tracked at all stages of the supply chain.

EMar Sounds

I think the manufacturer would ask why I didn't send it back to the store I bought it from.
    Unless I just post it back to them and forget about it, it's worth nothing sitting here broken.
    It's only 60 euro but to me that is an expensive pair of earphones, Sennheiser, they shouldn't be that flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Il answer that with my experience dealing with a particular well known watch company. I had a really bad experience in the store who would not replace a watch that was less than a week old. I wrote to the company, they sent out a box and replaced it for me, furthermore they gave me the choice on upgrading to a more expensive option but I preferred the own I bought initially.
    Not all companies will provide that level of service but given your scenario I think it's your best bet.
    My two cents worth anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It depends.

Most large retailers have ERP systems that track stock.
    They know when stock comes in and when it's sold, so restocking is automatic.
    Say you bought an item on a particular date and showed them the credit card receipt. They MAY be able to match it.
    Maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

eeguy wrote: »
    It depends.

Say you bought an item on a particular date and showed them the credit card receipt. They MAY be able to match it.
    Maybe...

OP did not use a card.

eeguy wrote: »
    It depends.

Maybe...

Credit card receipt would be proof of purchase if op had used one.

It's on the customer to provide proof and in the busiest month of the year theres absolutely no chance the store is going to find it for him.

Op contact the manufacturer directly they might help you out of goodwill.

Advertisement