Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbished IPhone 5s problems

Options
  • 01-12-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Bought 32gb version yesterday from Argos for e220. Seemed good but not in an Apple box.

Today, with approx 35% battery left, the low battery warning showed, the phone suddenly died.

Was near Argos, went there. Plugged phone into charger and after 2 minutes it restarted showing 35% battery left. Assistant in Argos said to bring it back if same happened again. Just happened now, with 20% battery left.

I looked up the imei on Apples website where it shows as out of warranty with an unknown sale date.

Is it safe to accept a replacement from Argos? I thought I was buying an Apple refurbished phone,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Same thing happened me last year with a 5s I got for my Niece. Could not get past the Welcome screen as the touch screen was kaput. And on Christmas morning!! Same with a colleague who had issues with the mic. I am not sure where these 'refurbished' phones from Argos are coming from but the quality control sounds crap. I'd just return it and get your money back. They might offer to replace it though, and if you are not up for that you can mention the non existent warranty though presumably Argos offer one as you bought it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think that the term "refurbished" has a whole different meaning when it comes to iPhones. Unless it's directly from Apple I'd avoid.

I've bought truely refurbished tech from the likes of Dell and had no issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Apple refurbishments are basically new phones. 3rd parties don't necessarily have access to OEM parts and can use poor quality or used parts. I'd happily get Apple refurbs, but not 3rd party.

You can play the game again and see, you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Argos exchanged the phone and said tbey will give a refund if any more problems arise.

Apart from the box it could be a new phone. The Argos gusrantee is 12 months.

I plan to ask Apple to reset the sale date so I may get an Apple warranty. Worth an email.

Apple are known to sell new phones as refurbished to avoid being seen as discount sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Oxter wrote: »
    n to ask Apple to reset the sale date so I may get an Apple warranty. Worth an email.

Not possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Not possible

Apple confirmed not possible. Battery has done 225 cycles.

When i got the first faulty phone, i updated to ios10 straight away. Could this have been the cause of the battery behaviour?

I read of similar happening on an Iphone6.

Advertisement