Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any more information re: next campaign date? I've heard from officers and PSNI staff that it is to be launched in May but this Belfast Telegraph article contradicts that. Is it a mistake perhaps? Can mods confirm?

Maxi are you waiting to get into GV?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Yeah, statement on their website today confirmed an Autumn campaign.

Sigh. Had been working hard ready for May. Bit annoying but sure, what can ye do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Much quicker selection process from 1 year to 6 months sounds awesome.

Also, for those of republican backgrounds like myself, good that the online IST's are coming in. Helps folks like us hide our applications for a little while longer haha

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Surely it will still only be 6 months for the first intake though yeah? So unless you're in that top 50 you'll likely still be waiting anywhere upto a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Divingm

So the autumn campaign that's for new applications? What you guys been doing preparation wise? I am officer with 16yrs service on the arv's and want to transfer to psni but hear it's apply with everyone else rather than a transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Surely it will still only be 6 months for the first intake though yeah? So unless you're in that top 50 you'll likely still be waiting anywhere upto a year.
    6 months for merit pool and 1st intake.

Divingm wrote: »
    So the autumn campaign that's for new applications? What you guys been doing preparation wise? I am officer with 16yrs service on the arv's and want to transfer to psni but hear it's apply with everyone else rather than a transfer?

Contact recruitment. However if it is apply with the rest, you will keep your current payscale and can transfer your pension pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

The last transfer campaign (for current officers in other forces) was in 2011/12. I think the PSNI were trying to increase the number of detective ranks by directly transferring them. There were some threads on other forums that suggested it wasn't too successful. Maybe this is why they haven't ran another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Could it be that the force needs to be employing locally first ? I know when I worked for Sainsburys that agreements are made that when a new store opens i.e. locals get first preference for the job. Is it the same to the PSNI? Do they have to been seen as offering the people of N.Ireland the opertuniry equally rather than opening the flood gates and letting transfers from the the rest of the UK in? Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

I think the PSNI should allow transfers and also recruit new Police Officers as well. It is the only fair way to both parties. I am originally from Northern Ireland but serving across the water. So you could say that I fit into 'Do they have to been seen as offering the people of N.Ireland the opportunity equally'.

However if it comes to it, I will just have to apply like Joe Bloggs off the street. However unfair I feel it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I think the PSNI should allow transfers and also recruit new Police Officers as well. It is the only fair way to both parties. I am originally from Northern Ireland but serving across the water. So you could say that I fit into 'Do they have to been seen as offering the people of N.Ireland the opportunity equally'.

However if it comes to it, I will just have to apply like Joe Bloggs off the street. However unfair I feel it is.

Yeah they should open the opportunity for both or at least ditch the IST and AC stages for transferee officers and replace them with an interview which focuses on reason and motivation for transfer.

Quite frankly I find it ridiculous that we have to play cops and robbers at AC when we already carry out and up hold the office of constable and have a legitimate power to arrest any person at the Assessment Centre for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Found this on Whatdotheyknow this morning. Over 500+ officers entitled to retire this year and thats not taking into account others leaving through their own accord. Big couple of years of recruitment needed IMO.

Question 1
    Since the launch of the last recruitment drive in September 2015 how many officers to date have left
    the PSNI.

Answer
    Your request for information has now been considered. In respect of Section 1(1)(a) of the Act I can
    confirm that the Police Service of Northern Ireland does hold information to which your request
    relates and the decision has been taken to disclose the following.

In the period from September 2015 to February 2017, 464 officers left PSNI.

For information, 296 (64%) officers retired and in the same period 496 officers were recruited.

Question 2
    With the Head of the Police Federation highlighting the potential strain on the force due to potential
    retirements in the next two years, how many officers are eligible to retire in the calendar year 2017?

Answer
    As at 31 December 2016, 310 serving officers had already achieved 30 years pensionable service,
    some as far back as 2001. In 2017 a further 218 officers will achieve or have already achieved 30
    years pensionable service.

Eligible for retirement has been interpreted as having attained 30 years pensionable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CE34

Been lurking for a wee bit and was looking to apply in autumn but about a year back I was spoken too by a couple of constable's after I had damaged someone's car reversing out and had foolishly drove off thinking nothing off it (actually did about 100 quid's worth of damage to the poor woman's car) they came around to the house and I had a chat with them, they gave me the woman's phone number and I rung her up and apologised and paid for her repair's. Would something like this come up in the application process? I don't think I was given a caution (i wasn't taken to a police station or anything like that) and the woman didn't press any charges or anything like that either. 

Thanks in advance
    Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

Hi Chris
    I am looking to apply in the Autumn too. If there is a section on the application form, where you need to declare anything. I would declare it. They will have a record of your vehicle and details about incident. I wouldn't worry about it. It is better to be honest in everything! You would certainly know if you were given a Caution. Sounds to me that the Officers were allowed to use their discretion by allowing you to pay for damages, bringing the incident to a reasonable conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CE34

Aye, I'd rather not be dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

CE34 wrote: »
    Been lurking for a wee bit and was looking to apply in autumn but about a year back I was spoken too by a couple of constable's after I had damaged someone's car reversing out and had foolishly drove off thinking nothing off it (actually did about 100 quid's worth of damage to the poor woman's car) they came around to the house and I had a chat with them, they gave me the woman's phone number and I rung her up and apologised and paid for her repair's. Would something like this come up in the application process? I don't think I was given a caution (i wasn't taken to a police station or anything like that) and the woman didn't press any charges or anything like that either. 

Thanks in advance
    Chris.
    I'm no expert, but that sounds like a Community Resolution / Discretionary Disposal and it would probably be recorded as such. As the previous poster said, declare everything! It is the 'leaving stuff out' that will get you a vetting refusal!

Good luck with your application :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

CE34 wrote: »

Thanks in advance
    Chris.

I don't imagine you were given a discretionary disposal as technically there was no offence if you were unaware that you caused damage. There's no harm in declaring it but it certainly won't be recorded as a conviction or caution. It will be on police systems as "spoken with other driver who was unaware of collision. He has agreed to pay damages, details of driver are...". Up to you, but like I said, no harm in declaring. Likewise I doubt they will think you're trying to hide it given that it's not a big deal

If you are honest about it and tell them , what can h fault you for? Shows you have courage and integrity.

Nolan show this morning says up to 1000 officers looking compensation for unpaid holiday hours and being over worked. Will have a direct operational impact if they are successful. Only caught the end of the show but my point is, this could be another delay for us with money involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I know it's old news but just a heads up the joinpsni site has been updated to reflect Autumn recruitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

See the wording has changed from "expected to" to "will open". Good news for you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Think I seen this mentioned before but cant seem to find it anywhere. Can you apply to join the PSNI if you have applied or are currently in the application process for another police force ?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Razor3677 wrote: »
    Think I seen this mentioned before but cant seem to find it anywhere. Can you apply to join the PSNI if you have applied or are currently in the application process for another police force ?

Yeah, you can apply even if you have active applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AnUltach

Will an Informed Warning received 10 years ago prevent me from being successfully vetted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

AnUltach wrote: »
    Will an Informed Warning received 10 years ago prevent me from being successfully vetted?

Doubt it'll be an issue, but you should check the candidate guidance booklet on the Deloitte website. It refers to which type of convictions / criminal record will prevent you getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 redsox101

Hi guys can anyone recommend any practices books or papers? I had a really good book which was vet similar to the testing, but it's been misplaced in a house move.

It's more the numerical reasoning side of things I'm wanting to work on.

redsox101 wrote: »
    Hi guys can anyone recommend any practices books or papers? I had a really good book which was vet similar to the testing, but it's been misplaced in a house move.

It's more the numerical reasoning side of things I'm wanting to work on.

From what I read on this- past transfer papers are good. I recently downloaded a mental maths app just to improve speed in calculations in my head,

And finally there are coaching classes out there

Times tables work books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

AnUltach wrote: »

You'll be fine, just make sure you state it on your vetting forms. If it shows on a D1 then they'll know. Be open and transparent and there will be no issues.

Advertisement