Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

So for applications come September or October, we can expect a 6 month turn around from start to merit pool rather than the long waits everyone else before us have endured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Mike079 wrote: »
    So for applications come September or October, we can expect a 6 month turn around from start to merit pool rather than the long waits everyone else before us have endured?

I wouldn't hold your breath! I would say it will probably still be a case of close to a year for a start date for the highest AC scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I'd say minimum they will get to is a 9 month application to first intake time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

I don't see why they're changing the recruitment time scale. If anything it prepares candidates for the real life feeling of being a police officer. You just wait and wait and wait, the date passes and you're still waiting. 😂

In all honesty though, I can't see it being 6 months. Not a chance that'll happen, and if it does, I'll eat my public order boots

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Divingm

Guys,
    I am going to be applying in the Autumn process and already a cop of 16yrs on the mainland. I know I will have to go through the whole process like everyone else so can anybody enlighten me as to what the written tests are like. Not done anything like that for years
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Well if its true that the first phase will be done online, usually they are harder than tests in the flesh I have found, but google numerical verbal reasoning tests, some very good examples are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I always found the examples from Police Scotland to be quite good.

http://www.scotland.police.uk/recruitment/police-officers/selection-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Divingm

I assume this will be the first time they have done the written tests online
    Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

majgreen wrote: »
    I don't see why they're changing the recruitment time scale. If anything it prepares candidates for the real life feeling of being a police officer. You just wait and wait and wait, the date passes and you're still waiting. 😂

In all honesty though, I can't see it being 6 months. Not a chance that'll happen, and if it does, I'll eat my public order boots
    If it does happen the 6 month wait will only be for the 1st intake. Everybody else will be stuffed in the waiting room.

Divingm wrote: »
    I assume this will be the first time they have done the written tests online
    Lee

As far as I am aware. It should offer a lot of advantages. Technically you could get your results immediately although they'll probably set a pass mark after all tests completed.
    It should definitely shorten the timescales as well as it will all be automated. Also helps those who don't live in the greater Belfast area.

Personally I would prefer the traditional way as it helps focus the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Psni hopeful 2017

Hey guys
    I hope to apply for the PSNI in the next campaign for the first time. I recently found this forum and wasn't sure to post this question in this thread or the medical thread, so I just picked here lol. Can you pass the medical if you are currently on a waiting list for surgery ? Or will you fail ?
    I can't find an answer for this anywhere.

Many thanks

Hey guys
    I hope to apply for the PSNI in the next campaign for the first time. I recently found this forum and wasn't sure to post this question in this thread or the medical thread, so I just picked here lol. Can you pass the medical if you are currently on a waiting list for surgery ? Or will you fail ?

Many thanks

Welcome aboard :)

Depends on the surgery. Have a look at the document on the link below to see possible issues.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-recruitment-standards-medical-standards-for-police-recruitment

Hey guys

Many thanks

Depends on the problem and the recovery time! You may end up with a different offer of employment with slightly different terms

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2017randomguy

When I was 17 (over 10 years ago), I received what is known as an 'Informed Warning' for possession of Cannabis, which was at that time, still a Class C drug. Basically my Mother and I went to the local station and I was given a stern talking to. I was told that if I behaved myself, it would be removed from my record after 18 months. This encounter with fate was a pivotal moment in my life. I regret that it had to happen but I am grateful that it did. I shudder to think what kind of person I would be today, had it not occurred...
    Anyway, my query is this: will this transgression prevent me from being considered as a candidate, were I to apply in the Autumn?
    I am also curious as to when I should disclose the offence - when I first apply or if I made it so far in the recruitment process as to be vetted?
    I would be grateful to anyone who could shed light on these matters.
    I want to join the PSNI. I have for a number of years now. I have finally worked up the courage to apply but my fear is that this one mistake, made so long ago when I was young and stupid, would prevent me from realising what has become a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

When I was 17 (over 10 years ago), I received what is known as an 'Informed Warning' for possession of Cannabis, which was at that time, still a Class C drug. Basically my Mother and I went to the local station and I was given a stern talking to. I was told that if I behaved myself, it would be removed from my record after 18 months. This encounter with fate was a pivotal moment in my life. I regret that it had to happen but I am grateful that it did. I shudder to think what kind of person I would be today, had it not occurred...
    Anyway, my query is this: will this transgression prevent me from being considered as a candidate, were I to apply in the Autumn?
    I am also curious as to when I should disclose the offence - when I first apply or if I made it so far in the recruitment process as to be vetted?
    I want to join the PSNI. I have for a number of years now. I have finally worked up the courage to apply but my fear is that this one mistake, made so long ago when I was young and stupid, would prevent me from realising what has become a dream...

You'll not really have the opportunity to disclose it until you reach the vetting stage. At that point it's best to be open and honest about everything and just explain the circumstances.

If you are worried about it to the extent that you can't wait until the vetting stage, try to contact recruitment and ask for advice.

The only problem with that is they could say each application is assessed on an individual basis at the time and they may not be able to give you a definitive answer.

Personally I'd say it's worth applying in the Autumn and when it comes down to it, just be open and honest, after that it really is out of your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Personally, I highly doubt that they would fail you for that. Read back through the vetting thread, many misdemeanours have been sent to the vetting department over the years and passed :)

I too see no issue with this. Get applying and disclose all when it comes to vetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Conji21

Is anyone in this thread from the Republic going to be applying ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

https://www.iompolice.im/careers/police-careers/

Came across this today if anyone is I interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

Based on the information you've posted, I don't see this alone standing in the way of getting in. Just be honest during the process and declare it as soon as you're given the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 2017randomguy

Thank you all for your encouraging messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

Well after today's news, it doesn't look they will be having a recruitment campaign this year. What a mess!

Cuts, Cuts and more Cuts. The government are bleeding the PSNI dry.

Hopefully someone from the PSNI comes out in the next few days and clarifies if the Autumn Campaign is still running or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Well after today's news, it doesn't look they will be having a recruitment campaign this year. What a mess!

Cuts, Cuts and more Cuts. The government are bleeding the PSNI dry.

Hopefully someone from the PSNI comes out in the next few days and clarifies if the Autumn Campaign is still running or not

I don't think the campaign will be axed. I'm aware that their is a lot of officers expected to retire which will reduce numbers however I expect that they will not take in as much anticipated.

It's absolutely farsical. It's abundantly clear to everyone that the PSNI is understaffed and struggling to cope with demand. It beggars belief that the budget is being further reduced. Hopefully recruitment in some shape or form will continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

Ok folks, so I have just watched the whole meeting with the Chief Con and Policing Board.

The Chief Con has confirmed recruitment will be continuing this financial year and the Autumn Recruitment IS happening!!

The IST will be online by the sounds of it. As barriers to recruitment will be implemented in the Autumn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Excellent work.

Media scaremongering for clicks and paper sales can be undermined by doing some early detective work :)

Ok folks, so I have just watched the whole meeting with the Chief Con and Policing Board.

The Chief Con has confirmed recruitment will be continuing this financial year and the Autumn Recruitment IS happening!!

The IST will be online by the sounds of it. As barriers to recruitment will be implemented in the Autumn!!
    Happy days ! Guess I'll have to knuckle down soon and hit the books to prepare for the IST

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ZXC53

Hello everyone, I'm looking to apply to join the Police later this year and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the policy in regards to operations on the knee. I've just been given the choice of having knee keyhole surgery to see if it will repair my knee or waiting it out and seeing if it will heal naturally (for which I have waited 9 months with no improvement).
    Obviously I would like to take the offer of the surgery but I don't want it to be a hinderance to my application so am just wondering if anyone knows any more? Many thanks.

ZXC53 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm looking to apply to join the Police later this year and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the policy in regards to operations on the knee. I've just been given the choice of having knee keyhole surgery to see if it will repair my knee or waiting it out and seeing if it will heal naturally (for which I have waited 9 months with no improvement).
    Obviously I would like to take the offer of the surgery but I don't want it to be a hinderance to my application so am just wondering if anyone knows any more? Many thanks.

Take a look at the guidelines and see where you fall in. If you can pass the fitness test then you're halfway there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/100695/621216.doc

• Advertisement

ZXC53 wrote: »
    Personally I would advise you to take surgery, during the medical you will have to indicate your problem anyway and if it has not improved that may affect you. Think what's most ideal for you. I too am suffering the same problem and I am also about to take a minor operation on an other part but I guess their is no harm in applying and hopefully see how it goes

Advertisement