Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Hey guys
    Although the new campaign isn't set to start until autumn, I feel that I should begin to prepare myself, however since the IST is set to be an online exam, im guessing their could be some changes to the exam itself. I'm hoping it is similar to the NIFRS online test, which I thankfully passed. Although completing the test online could allow anyone to take the test for you. What's your take on this change ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Razor3677 wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Although the new campaign isn't set to start until autumn, I feel that I should begin to prepare myself, however since the IST is set to be an online exam, im guessing their could be some changes to the exam itself. I'm hoping it is similar to the NIFRS online test, which I thankfully passed. Although completing the test online could allow anyone to take the test for you. What's your take on this change ?

I am not sure how I feel about the change tbh. In a way online testing would make candidates feel a bit more comfortable. However having sat the written IST before at least I could have said I have experience of doing it.

Now, we will be the guinea pigs and who knows how the test will go. Certainly the data card element of the test will be difficult if not impossible to replicate via an online method.

Is the NIFRS online test similar to the current PSNI IST?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I've done online tests with jobs before and they always add that they'll randomly check and get people to repeat it in person.
    Plus would you trust anyone not to screw it up and would you do it for someone and chance screwing it up for them?

They've bound to have factored all that in before they commit to any new process.

Good thing is in they can easily process thousands of candidates quickly this way.
    Maybe the AC will be done via Skype and the PCA will be on an xbox :D

Razor3677 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I am not sure how I feel about the change tbh. In a way online testing would make candidates feel a bit more comfortable. However having sat the written IST before at least I could have said I have experience of doing it.

Now, we will be the guinea pigs and who knows how the test will go. Certainly the data card element of the test will be difficult if not impossible to replicate via an online method.

Is the NIFRS online test similar to the current PSNI IST?
    This will be my first time applying for the PSNI, so I've never sat the IST, however the NIFRS consisted of 3 tests, which was a situational judgement, a maths and an English test. From what I've heard it is quite different from the current IST exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hoping new recruitment campaign isnt too far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

If those numbers are true then wow. 42 out of 47 left? Madness.

Anyway, hopefully the campaign starts on cue. 6 months to merit pool hopefully then who knows eh? Best of luck to all.

Mike079 wrote: »

Anyway, hopefully the campaign starts on cue. 6 months to merit pool hopefully then who knows eh? Best of luck to all.

Think you may have misinterpreted Mike. They were 47 new officers were attested but elsewhere in the service 42 have left. Mostly through retirement but also other reasons.

Next year is going to be an apocalyptic year with a huge amount of officers eligible to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭recruit099

Mike079 wrote: »

It doesn't mean recruits left...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

My bad. Just read the numbers and ran with it. Thanks for correcting me.
    Hope it is apocalyptic for all our sakes. The wait is excruciating.

Hopefully the powers that be have a masterplan to at least have more going in than out.

They are going to lose a lot of policing knowledge if people leave en masse. Need a nice balance of new recruits and experienced officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

I have done both the Fire and PSNI tests and personally, I much, much prefer the PSNI one. They are both very different.

I found the fire tests extremely difficult - however, everyone is different. I had tried my best to find practice tests for the Fire ones prior to the real thing, I did find some but it ended up they were nothing like the actual tests which could have contributed to me finding them hard! I also hated the fact I had to go through the tests again, which I don't remember having to do with PSNI.

I have been practicing the PSNI tests for months now, so hope they aren't going to change too much about it haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

Hi guys,
    Do any serving officers have any experience as to how (if at all) being English would affect life in the PSNI? (Extra safety concerns etc.).
    Personally, I can't imagine it would cause any extra issues outside those faced by every officer, but others have suggested it may make me more of a 'target'.
    Also, my other half and her family are far from keen for me to follow this career path. Having limited experience of life in Northern Ireland, am I being naive to the dangers that PSNI officers and their family face, or are they overestimating them? If it's the latter, how do I reassure them?
    Obviously I understand and accept the personal dangers whilst in uniform (I'm not that naive!), but what are the implications of this job on the safety and wellbeing of my family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

DonutSquad wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Do any serving officers have any experience as to how (if at all) being English would affect life in the PSNI? (Extra safety concerns etc.).
    Personally, I can't imagine it would cause any extra issues outside those faced by every officer, but others have suggested it may make me more of a 'target'.
    Also, my other half and her family are far from keen for me to follow this career path. Having limited experience of life in Northern Ireland, am I being naive to the dangers that PSNI officers and their family face, or are they overestimating them? If it's the latter, how do I reassure them?
    Obviously I understand and accept the personal dangers whilst in uniform (I'm not that naive!), but what are the implications of this job on the safety and wellbeing of my family?

Hi Donut,

Trust me - it makes no difference. You're at threat all the same but no more or less. Obviously in certain areas you're going to face more abuse than others although personally for me it's not been that bad barr the odd comment or two. I too was far from clued up before joining but you'll be given full security briefs when you enter Garnerville. Whilst the job can be dangerous, the PSNI has some of the best equipment for the job and we are all armed. You never go out alone (unlike English forces) so in some cases you're actually safer here. If you want to chat more then pm me

I think there is a clear threat Donut; the threat of classic Norn Iron banter from your colleagues :D

majgreen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hi Donut,

Trust me - it makes no difference. You're at threat all the same but no more or less. Obviously in certain areas you're going to face more abuse than others although personally for me it's not been that bad barr the odd comment or two.  I too was far from clued up before joining but you'll be given full security briefs when you enter Garnerville. Whilst the job can be dangerous, the PSNI has some of the best equipment for the job and we are all armed. You never go out alone (unlike English forces) so in some cases you're actually safer here. If you want to chat more then pm me

That's much appreciated Maj! I'll drop you a pm when I get a chance.
    True Homer, good job I'm thick skinned! (or thick headed, not sure which!)

Are you currently in the job in England Donut? And are you in this current campaign or planning to apply in the Autumn?

Homer01 wrote: »
    Are you currently in the job in England Donut? And are you in this current campaign or planning to apply in the Autumn?

No, not in the job, yet! I'll be applying for the first time in autumn. Do we have any clue as to when in autumn it'll actually open?

Wonder which part of Autumn do they mean, getting restless now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Goonerdee wrote: »

Think the past few times it has been announced start of sept with applications from end of sept to end of oct. Hope you're doing well! It would be good to see a new campaign

Timetravel wrote: »
    Goonerdee wrote: »

Think the past few times it has been announced start of sept with applications from end of sept to end of oct. Hope you're doing well! It would be good to see a new campaign

Doing grand thanks. Feel better once the merry-go-round fires up once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

Still says Autumn 2017! It's 4th Sept now...I go on holiday soon and I bet it'll open while I'm away! Has anyone seen any further news? Last I read was the Chief Constables report back in February which hoped for a new pool of appointees by Decemeber this year....there haven't been any other reports since that I can see.

mwat17 wrote: »
    Still says Autumn 2017! It's 4th Sept now...I go on holiday soon and I bet it'll open while I'm away! Has anyone seen any further news? Last I read was the Chief Constables report back in February which hoped for a new pool of appointees by Decemeber this year....there haven't been any other reports since that I can see.
    I heard a while ago that it was meant to start in October, but seeing the amount of times the campaign has been pushed back and the way 1509 is going I wouldn't be surprised if it was held back for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Personally can't see a campaign this year unless the idiots on the hill get their acts together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Only hope is that last time we had rumours of the campaign the website didn’t say anything other than the new year 2017. Now it says autumn 2017.
    So take that as a positive. And yeah the folks on the hill haven’t got the act sorted which could delay but I heard today on the radio that the civil service is palnning for a 5% cut across the board. ( not sure if police are included in this ) however if they are pre planning for the cuts means that once they get confirmation hopefully the campaign will start.

I can’t see them holding off for a year.

Given the time scales that I'm expecting this recruitment process to take (once it eventually starts!), the mounting pressure to settle in to a 'proper career', and also, there being absolutely no certainty that I'll actually be successful,  I'm considering placing an application into one of the English forces too.

Is this permitted and if so, have others considered this?

I know you can't have applications in for multiple English forces at any one time, but does this also extend to the PSNI?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Given the time scales that I'm expecting this recruitment process to take (once it eventually starts!), the mounting pressure to settle in to a 'proper career', and also, there being absolutely no certainty that I'll actually be successful,  I'm considering placing an application into one of the English forces too.

Is this permitted and if so, have others considered this?

I know you can't have applications in for multiple English forces at any one time, but does this also extend to the PSNI?

I checked this with Police Scotland a while back and they allow you to have an application in with them whilst also having one with the PSNI.

I'd like to think it's the same with the English forces but would be worth checking with each individual service as thier policies could differ.

Much appreciated Johannes!
    Perhaps I might be able to get away with an application into each of the Home Nations! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Much appreciated Johannes!
    Perhaps I might be able to get away with an application into each of the Home Nations! Haha.

Maybe haha, perhaps MoD police aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KnightRider21

i bit the bullet and applied for Police Scotland this afternoon, they are okay with already having an application with the PSNI

• Advertisement

I did very briefly considered MoD but it's more of a guarding role than a policing one. 
    From the MoD homepage: 'MOD Police Officers don’t patrol the streets, they protect sites of national importance, plus everything on them and everyone in them.'
    How does the Police Scotland application work in terms of applying for the specific area you would want to work in/around?

Advertisement