Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 armchairrunner

Hi everyone,
    I had a look through most of the pages there before work. I was wondering does anyone know if they except a BTEC level two as an equivalent. I have GCSE's in English and Maths plus two other subjects which would bring me to four however I know the requirement is five but would a BTEC be an equivalent to make up for the missing one? 

Shouldn't have left school :P
    Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pixiestark19

Hi everyone,
    I had a look through most of the pages there before work. I was wondering does anyone know if they except a BTEC level two as an equivalent. I have GCSE's in English and Maths plus two other subjects which would bring me to four however I know the requirement is five but would a BTEC be an equivalent to make up for the missing one? 

Shouldn't have left school :P
    Cheers guys!

A BTEC Level 2 is equivalent to GCSE Level. So your fine you'll meet the criteria to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chase1

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a bit nervous now that the information is available and before long, we'll be doing ISTs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eejitry

My only concern is braining myself during the weird duck-while-climbing movement in the fitness test. And digging out long-forgotten GCSE certificates.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

With the data sheet which was clearly the hardest part of the old IST being removed, that IST looks a hell of a lot easier than the written ones we've all been used to.

However, they obviously cant have 3/4/5k people turning up for ISTs so just my opinion, but I personally reckon the pass mark will have to be much higher than usual to narrow that down to the usual 2000ish people they look to take to the assessment centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

'no more than 57 years on 10th May 2018.'
    The date they expect to have the first batch start at GV? Or do they need be be through GV at that point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

As long as you are under 57 on 10th May 2018 you are fine.

So if you get in at 56 but wait a year on the merit list you are still fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

So the 10th May is just an arbitrary date? Probably me just trying to read too much into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Hope you are all as excited as I am. At least it seems they will be moving quickly. Application closes 10th Oct and IST links will be sent from 20th Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Chase1

NiK9 wrote: »
    Hope you are all as excited as I am. At least it seems they will be moving quickly. Application closes 10th Oct and IST links will be sent from 20th Oct.

Just to clarify, the applications don't open until 23rd Oct and close noon of 10th Nov :)

No more maths

No more maths

No more maths

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marsh93

With the data sheet which was clearly the hardest part of the old IST being removed, that IST looks a hell of a lot easier than the written ones we've all been used to.

However, they obviously cant have 3/4/5k people turning up for ISTs so just my opinion, but I personally reckon the pass mark will have to be much higher than usual to narrow that down to the usual 2000ish people they look to take to the assessment centre.

I agree

No more maths

No more maths

No more maths

Its great

Anyone else been hitting refresh on a certain webpage for the last 30 mins?

?

Chase1 wrote: »

Just to clarify, the applications don't open until 23rd Oct and close noon of 10th Nov :)
    Sorry you're right. That excited I'm just babbling crap now lol

So the maths is gone? Does this make it easier?

Marsh93 wrote: »

So the maths is gone? Does this make it easier?
    The way it is worded on the new site is...

"The IST is made up of two assessments especially designed by Deloitte for this recruitment process; a situational judgement test and a verbal reasoning assessment."

Not sure if this will make it easier or not.

Personally reckon that makes it far easier. The data sheet was hard because of the volume of questions and the timeframe in which to do it.

Like i said earlier, I can see the pass mark for this in its current form being set very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I think they set the pass mark based on the results. So if everyone does brilliant then it'll be a higher pass mark.

I think the new IST comes with its own challenges such as managing your time and working on your own.

Personally I'd prefer the old, sit in a hall with a bunch of weirdos, test (no offence lol). Although doing it online rather than losing a couple of hours at the IST venue has a lot of advantages.

• Advertisement

Doing it online is just a way to streamline the process I think. After all they have stated we will have to do a resit of the ist at the a.c anyway.. so the initial online one will just be to thin the herd.

Theybare obviously taking heed from the NIFRS and NICS selection tests regarding the situatuonal judgement aspect. Which seems like a common sense exercise.

In case anyone hasnt had the time to read all the documents on the new website. On the "Guidance for applicants" document it lays out a timescale for the Deloitte portion of the recruitment.
    Online application: 23 Oct - 10 Nov
    Online IST commencing week: 20 Nov
    AC commencing week: 8 Jan
    Merit list handed to PSNI: Last week of March.

Further down is states your 57th birthday must not be before appointment on 10 May 2018.

So hopefully that lays out a rough timeline for us all.

With them dates it will likely be May PCAs with June medicals for the top scorers. Plenty of time for 1509ers to get our turn first.

Seems pretty rapid as long as the existing merit pool is exhausted. Bearing in mind that may mean binning people for PCA 2nd attempt fails, medical fails (including appeals) and vetting fails. Are they any 2014 folk still in the waiting room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Henno47

Hi Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have had a look at the practice IST questions provided but there doesn't seem to be any info on how many questions there will be or how long we will have to do the actual test. Does anyone know the answer to this or have any idea how we might find out?

Many thanks! ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Henno47 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have had a look at the practice IST questions provided but there doesn't seem to be any info on how many questions there will be or how long we will have to do the actual test. Does anyone know the answer to this or have any idea how we might find out?

Many thanks! ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Hello and welcome :)

You'll not find out how many questions or how long you get until you do it.
    Same as previous IST's. Suppose it stops folk over thinking it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Henno47

Cheers, appreciate your response! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

Hi everyone.
    Just a quick question, I got caught speeding 5 years ago (37mph in 30 zone)
    I didn't get any points on my licence as I done the young driver course. Do I need to declare this even if I have a clean licence?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

I’d declare everything with rationale. They have it all anyway. Failure to disclose would be worse than over sharing.

Advertisement