Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

Yeah ur right. Better to declare it to be sure, don't want them to think I'm hiding it as u say they have it all anyway.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hoping the main PSNI facebook page keeps giving a weekly update on how the 'greens' are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Hoping the main PSNI facebook page keeps giving a weekly update on how the 'greens' are doing.

I heard that is the plan. It is supposed to show what student's go through so people have a better idea on the job/GV etc. Basically the next recruitment video but in slow time.

First time applying. Can anyone give me a general idea about the assessment centre it's the part of the recruitment I'm worried about most..
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Cbm27 wrote: »
    First time applying. Can anyone give me a general idea about the assessment centre it's the part of the recruitment I'm worried about most..
    Thanks in advance
    Honestly we are now all in the same boat, because there is so many changes to this new campaign. There used to be 3 role plays and a writte assesment. But this time around we know we will be sitting a secondary mini IST during the AC. So arnt sure what else has changed.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've read up on their website about the IST. Just worried about the role plays and how hard they are going to be, what they will consist of ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

I'm sure many of you guys have already watched the video on the new website but can't believe I only found it today and thought some of yous might like it.
    https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/first-three-years
    Interesting to get an insight into life in garnerville and really makes me want to be their right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Cbm27 wrote: »
    Yeah I've read up on their website about the IST. Just worried about the role plays and how hard they are going to be, what they will consist of ect.

For those who have been through it before we can't go into details about it. Other than is what's stated on the website. Sorry. However someone who has never done it before but knows the process they didn't sign an agreement so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I see the new campaign is now being posted by PSNI on Facebook.

Always fun to see everyone tagging their mates or announcing that they're applying lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

Homer01 wrote: »
    I see the new campaign is now being posted by PSNI on Facebook.

Always fun to see everyone tagging their mates or announcing that they're applying lol
    I was just thinking this when I saw that. A great way to advertise it for the PSNI, but a terrible idea for people trying to be discreet when showing interest or applying.

• Advertisement

Really hope this tattoo polkcy is more lenient once reviewed.

Personally I think it's discrimination if they aren't offensive or mental.

What is the policy?

I thought as long as it was not on hands, face and neck you were good. And of course nothing 'unpleasant'.
    As long as your tattoos can be covered with uniform then everyone is happy.

Why should someone with full sleeve have to sweat their bollocks off just because he/she has some artwork when everyone else gets to bounce around in short sleeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KnightRider21

Doubt an extra bit of shirt will make much difference when you have a jacket and bulletproof vest on lol

Got ya now. So it's more about the actual employee tattoo policy rather than the recruitment side.

What's the English forces policy? Have they moved with the times?

Doubt an extra bit of shirt will make much difference when you have a jacket and bulletproof vest on lol

You'd be surprised. Layering does work.

It is a very sticky subject because who are we all to judge what is offensive to others? Yes people should take less offense to things but sure.

Not sure if anyone can remember about a member of staff at A local train station a number of years ago, the person was a native from northern Ireland but was a worshiping Buddhist. A complaint was put in against the person because they had a swastika tattoo on their arm, along with other religious tattoos. (The proper non-nazi type).
    There was an outcry that this person was a white supremacist and should be fired. All of this before anyone even asked the person why they had the tattoo. If they are on show they can cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Don't really want to go into too much detail but I knowof two people who were turned down at the vetting stage in the current campaign for tattoos that I honestly would in no way shape or form class as offensive.

There has to be a better way of handling the tattoo situation instead of letting people get to the almost waiting room stage before crushing their dream.

A simple tick box at application stage with pictures uploaded with the application for a person/persons to sift through and approve/deny at the application stage would be much fairer IMO.

Don't really want to go into too much detail but I knowof two people who were turned down at the vetting stage in the current campaign for tattoos that I honestly would in no way shape or form class as offensive.

There has to be a better way of handling the tattoo situation instead of letting people get to the almost waiting room stage before crushing their dream.

A simple tick box at application stage with pictures uploaded with the application for a person/persons to sift through and approve/deny at the application stage would be much fairer IMO.

Was probably location or size rather than content.

• Advertisement

It wasn't.

New video up on YouTube for anyone who hasn't seen it.

https://youtu.be/qbETs9IJucA

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chase1

Random question, I know a lot of officers use different cover stories when encountering people they don't know off duty. But for the likes of different services (motor insurance, health insurance, etc) what do you tell the company? The truth?

If it's an english company just put doen police officer. If it's Hughes, Axa NI etc say civil servant with industry being law and order.

Just use Newforge...

It wasn't.

I also know three guys who have went through GV today with significant tattoos and they all were passed at vetting. Muat just depend on whos on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Chase1 wrote: »
    Random question, I know a lot of officers use different cover stories when encountering people they don't know off duty. But for the likes of different services (motor insurance, health insurance, etc) what do you tell the company? The truth?
    The only time you are legally bound to disclose your profession is on your mortgage. For insurance, loans, finance agreements etc you can just put down civil service as your occupation. Having said that, there isnt a single firm in NI that wont be able to guess you're a police officer anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Hey guys
    I was just looking at the timescale of the new recruitment process on the guidance for applicants booklet and seen that vetting is due to commence as soon as you pass the assessment centre. Is this new ? If so hopefully it will help to speed up the process

Razor3677 wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I was just looking at the timescale of the new recruitment process on the guidance for applicants booklet and seen that vetting is due to commence as soon as you pass the assessment centre. Is this new ? If so hopefully it will help to speed up the process

Yeah the vetting after assessment is new in this campaign it used to be one of the last things they done. Think they aim to speed up the process and get people into GV asap so hopefully this works and the process isn't a long drawn out one! 6 months I think the aim is but suppose this depends on how long each individual vetting takes..

They used to do that back in the Consensia days and it was an even bigger farce than it is now.

Hopefully for the 2017 applicants it is much improved if that is the case.

• Advertisement

Just getting a proper read at the application guide and it says that at the vetting stage you have to provide details of your social media accounts lol that could be interesting for some!

Advertisement