Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

majgreen wrote: »
    Honestly, the pca is easy. People fail because they fail to prepare.

I wouldn't say it is easy, but it is not as hard as it is made out to be :)  IF you have prepared.

This is previous post of mine (Post #2,852) with some tips for actually doing the PCA. Hope they help:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057094180/191?

The previous page (190) has a great post from Tackleberry as well!

The push/pull isn't in the PCA this time round, so don't worry about leaving something in the tank for that :)  Don't try and pace yourself though, I did that the first time I took the PCA and failed - it is a max effort test, so push yourself to the max all way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

KN1231999 wrote: »
    Thanks Homer! Definitely possible for anyone to achieve with a good few months headstart and dedication, Is it mainly Stamina and endurance thats tested? Or should i be worrying about getting more core and upper strength?
    I know im getting ahead of myself as i need to get past the IST but it seems like the PCA you have to prepare for it no matter what.
    :)

You will need strength. That drag bag and kettle bells feel like lumps of lead come the third lap. Whilst the push/pull isn't counted towards your result you'll still want to do well.
    But yes primarily you want to build up your stamina and endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Sounds like it will be a good 30 mins n the treadmill for the next 6 months lol

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Think I said this at the time and it was a little unpopular but I stand by it. For me the PCA is the easiest part of the whole process, if you're young and in relatively fit a few weeks specific training and you'll breeze it.

If you're maybe not a naturally fit person a few months work will see you through.

It's a set time to aim for with a course that is the same all 3 times round. You even get to go to a practice day were the PTIs literally allow you to try every aspect of it a dozen times if you so wish.

The PTI at mines said nobody should really be failing the PCA if they were serious about their application and I tend to agree. Sorry if that's not the most popular opinion.

C3POPO wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it is easy, but it is not as hard as it is made out to be :)  IF you have prepared.

This is previous post of mine (Post #2,852) with some tips for actually doing the PCA. Hope they help:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057094180/191?

The previous page (190) has a great post from Tackleberry as well!

The push/pull isn't in the PCA this time round, so don't worry about leaving something in the tank for that :)  Don't try and pace yourself though, I did that the first time I took the PCA and failed - it is a max effort test, so push yourself to the max all way round.

Give it everything; adrenaline will drag you kicking and screaming around the final lap.

I remember the instructor saying that they will guide you as go around the course 'up the wall, around the cone' etc. He said come the final lap you'll not even know they are there. So so true :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Think I said this at the time and it was a little unpopular but I stand by it. For me the PCA is the easiest part of the whole process, if you're young and in relatively fit a few weeks specific training and you'll breeze it.

If you're maybe not a naturally fit person a few months work will see you through.

It's a set time to aim for with a course that is the same all 3 times round. You even get to go to a practice day were the PTIs literally allow you to try every aspect of it a dozen times if you so wish.

The PTI at mines said nobody should really be failing the PCA is they were serious about their application and I tend to agree. Sorry if that's not the most popular opinion.

Backing up Shanevendrell

If you fail the PCA you seriously need to look at your health. It's seriously not difficult. You should not be focusing on "just" getting through the PCA you should be aiming for getting through the PCA with ease.

I would pace yourself for the 1st lap to get your bearings, confirm technique and settle nerves then smash the last two laps.

The girl in the video does a lap in 1 min 15. If you take longer than a min to do a lap then it will be obvious to the staff that you have decided just to wing it.

Personally in my opinion if you fail it you should be dropped right to the bottom of queue but that's me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Backing up Shanevendrell

If you fail the PCA you seriously need to look at your health. It's seriously not difficult. You should not be focusing on "just" getting through the PCA you should be aiming for getting through the PCA with ease.

I would pace yourself for the 1st lap to get your bearings, confirm technique and settle nerves then smash the last two laps.

The girl in the video does a lap in 1 min 15. If you take longer than a min to do a lap then it will be obvious to the staff that you have decided just to wing it.

Personally in my opinion if you fail it you should be dropped right to the bottom of queue but that's me.

Have you done the PCA banter?

Yes.

Backing up Shanevendrell

*yawn*

Must we go through this AGAIN?

We all know your opinions and you know how it divides people.

New applicants have asked for advice and help not judgement.

You could start a new thread to get it off your chest and have meaningful discussions about the 'wrongs' of PCA retests.

My point for new applicants is as pointed out at the start Homer is make sure your fit because

1. One less thing to worry about
    2. It's a competition
    3. If you really really want it, it's the one part of the process that you KNOW what you have to do, what time you have to do it in and they literally give you a video to prepare.

• Advertisement

If you fail the PCA in college you are remedial PT, is that really something you want to be in, in the college? No. Once fit... stay fit... simple really.

Theres potential that the PCA may become an annual thing for all officers, and the potential it could be linked to pay progression, so it's in everybody's interest. Not only that it will make the shift work easier if you are fit

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

If you fail the PCA in college you are remedial PT, is that really something you want to be in, in the college? No. Once fit... stay fit... simple really.

Theres potential that the PCA may become an annual thing for all officers, and the potential it could be linked to pay progression, so it's in everybody's interest. Not only that it will make the shift work easier if you are fit

How many times have you applied for the PSNI?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TERRYFOLDS

I agree with both points of view, you need to be serious about getting fit, but it's wrong to be harsh on people that may fail it. With the length of time it can take psni recruitment you can do one of two things use that time to get yourself fit or give up and forget about fitness, I had been chinned off for close to a year and thought there wasn't a chance of me being progressed and I let my fitness slip, then I finally got a progression email to say they going to progress with those on my score, I was close to pulling out because of how much weight I was going to have to lose, the pca didn't overly concern me more the medical standards.
    I wouldn't say it is wrong to pace yourself my issue at pca was I went at it too hard losing orientation and slipping a few times. My fitness was alright at the time, I would have passed first time if not for the mistakes, went a full minute quicker the second time around.

It's heart breaking with the timescales you mentioned above i'm not saying if you fail PCA you should be binned, i just believe that everybody else should get a go before your 2nd attempt. In the cold light of day it's a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KnightRider21

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I understand all views and the opinions on the PCA, as I can see it from their perspective especially if they have taken the test and have experience. For me personally I want to be as fit as I can be and know everything about the PCA, (Best techniques, tips on doing it more efficiently) Sorry if it came off the wrong way it's just I value all your experiences dearly and hope it will help me progress

KN1231999 wrote: »
    I understand all views and the opinions on the PCA, as I can see it from their perspective especially if they have taken the test and have experience. For me personally I want to be as fit as I can be and know everything about the PCA, (Best techniques, tips on doing it more efficiently) Sorry if it came off the wrong way it's just I value all your experiences dearly and hope it will help me progress

Aim to be as fit as possible that way you know in your mind that you cannot fail it.

Really dont see how my views are inflammatory, in the english forces if you fail the fitness you are completely disqualified...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭recruit099

It's heart breaking with the timescales you mentioned above i'm not saying if you fail PCA you should be binned, i just believe that everybody else should get a go before your 2nd attempt. In the cold light of day it's a competition.

Completely agree I haven’t done it yet and I feel if you fail first time you should be binned as you don’t get any second chances at any other part

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TERRYFOLDS

Yes the right frame of mind is important, get off to a good start try not to overshoot the turns, throw yourself through the crawl and straight over the jump a good long step jump should sort that no problem, don't overdo approach to the stairs as its a good point to get composed for the rest of the course, stairs are simple enough can do two at a time just be careful though. Balance is straight forward get the first step to the corner done with on step make sure to touch the lines, on the wall keep arms straight and let your legs do the work. Weave and carry are straightforward again just keep composure, with the drag you will want to throw the bag over the lines can swing it diagonal to get round the cone, then get back to the crawl flat out.

• Advertisement

Today was the first day I have started to revise for the situational judgement part of the IST, got 46% in the first and 78% in the second :O seems hit and miss for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Not true. There are plenty of people who pass through the college who are in bad shape. No one becomes 'remedial'. Those who need it will be given extra help if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

I've been lurking in the background for a while. Applied last time but AC was on we were on holiday and they wouldn't offer an alternative date. Trying again this time round and the AC is what scares me the most. Good luck to everyone applying this year.

Not true. There are plenty of people who pass through the college who are in bad shape. No one becomes 'remedial'. Those who need it will be given extra help if required.

Meant they are expected to do extra PT with the supporr of a PT. They aren't remedial.

They are on remedial PT.

If the staff feel you aren't fit enough coming up to OCA are you telling me that they will not make you hit the gym?

The OCA is the operation competence assessment which is a practical assessment of your knowledge and skills. If you're talking about the final PCA you complete in your last week, then no. I went through Garnerville with a number of people who struggled with their fitness. Only one of those was given extra PT lessons, which were a self assessment, and that was because that particular person really struggled with running and asked for help. The PTI's will know who can and cant pass the PCA, and lets be honest, if you pass it to get in, then the fitness lessons and fitness plan you complete in GV will make it much easier to complete on your final assessment. They cannot 'make you hit the gym', and in fact they wont. Its up to you to maintain the fitness level and ask for help if you need it, but like i said above its near impossible to drop in fitness given the exercise plan and amount of PT you.
    Please remember, there are people reading these forums for advice and guidance. Dont post things you think to be true unless you have been through it, or know it for fact, it only confuses people.

Thanks Maj for clarifying.

It does get confusing when people who haven't been through it say things with no actual working knowledge.

The process is long and confusing enough as it is, this place was a godsend for me for clear and accurate information. It seems to be falling by the way side since Shield disappeared! Hopefully we'll keep it up, along with the positivity.

I'm aware of what the OCA is, the PCA is run concurrently alongside side with the squads split 50:50 half doing PCA half doing OCA the way it was explained to me is that it is all Part of the OCA since if yoi fail either you get one more chance then it's bye bye.

• Advertisement

How long do you reckon this IST link will be live for?

Advertisement