Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

Hi Smurf welcome back it's taken me 25 months from initial application to receiving the call at the start of the week in the latest 1509 campaign.  

Fingers crossed the new campaign is quicker for you guys

Thanks letsdoit2013, congrats by the way-  I bet you're eager to finally get started!

Thanks a lot, really looking forward to it although nerves are starting to set in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Smurfmaster1

Hi Smurf welcome back it's taken me 25 months from initial application to receiving the call at the start of the week in the latest 1509 campaign.  

Fingers crossed the new campaign is quicker for you guys

Thanks letsdoit2013, congrats by the way-  I bet you're eager to finally get started!

Thanks a lot, really looking forward to it although nerves are starting to set in now!

All the best! Everyone I know that has been through it say it can be tough but a really rewarding experience. Even one guy I know who didn't even want to be a police officer and applied for the job is now saying that its the best job in the world (Still properly annoys me though as he applied not even interested in the role - taking the place of someone else who would do anything for it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

Hey guys, 
    Posted on here a while back but haven't logged on for a while! 
    Looking forward to applying on October 23rd, been offered a position with NIPS but PSNI is where I've always wanted to be, so hopefully will get through the process eventually! Thanks to everyone here for the help so far, been great to get an insight into what the process is like, even though this one is going to be a bit different. 
    Would 12-18 months be a reasonable estimate from first application to first day at Garnerville? (Not getting ahead of myself - know I may not be successful during this application but as a general estimate)

Thanks,
    Smurf

Hi smurf welcome back, just wondering was your nips offer made during the last recuirtment back in June there? Do you know if many people got offered it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Smurfmaster1

Hey guys, 
    Posted on here a while back but haven't logged on for a while! 
    Looking forward to applying on October 23rd, been offered a position with NIPS but PSNI is where I've always wanted to be, so hopefully will get through the process eventually! Thanks to everyone here for the help so far, been great to get an insight into what the process is like, even though this one is going to be a bit different. 
    Would 12-18 months be a reasonable estimate from first application to first day at Garnerville? (Not getting ahead of myself - know I may not be successful during this application but as a general estimate)

Thanks,
    Smurf

Hi smurf welcome back, just wondering was your nips offer made during the last recuirtment back in June there? Do you know if many people got offered it?
    Thanks

Hi Sparky,

Yeah it was. No idea how many people got offered it to be honest as I didn't see any recent posts on here about people applying for it really. HR connect said they had done quite a few interviews though

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Very anxiously waiting, only 11 days to go until applications open! I have been organising information for weeks so that all i have to do it retype my experiences and qualifications rather than wasting my 90 minutes trying to think about what GCSE and grades I got XD.

Does the IST results go on a Bell Curve or is there a set pass mark? I done a few practice ones provided by someone earlier in the thread (THANK YOU!) and was getting about 53% which I really want to improve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

No set pass mark to aim for. It’ll depend on how applicants perform as a whole. Curved grading yea.

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Very anxiously waiting, only 11 days to go until applications open! I have been organising information for weeks so that all i have to do it retype my experiences and qualifications rather than wasting my 90 minutes trying to think about what GCSE and grades I got XD.

Does the IST results go on a Bell Curve or is there a set pass mark? I done a few practice ones provided by someone earlier in the thread (THANK YOU!) and was getting about 53% which I really want to improve!

Hi lockie can you remember what page the link to the practice tests was on? Save me scrolling through them again lol

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Lockie101 wrote: »

Hi lockie can you remember  what page the link to the practice tests was on? Save me scrolling through them again lol

Thanks
    The 2 sections of the IST test are called Verbal Reasoning (True, False and Cannot Tell) and Situational Judgement (Most Effective/Least Effective). If you google these you should find websites where you can get many examples of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slimmboyfat

Hi guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. I know the medical assessment is a long long way off, however can someone clear this up for me. It states that your BMI should be no more than 30. Now being a rugby player this is particularity difficult as you can imagine however I am not in any way over weight!
    However it also says that body fat is not over 5% above the predicated maximum. What exactly does that mean and how is it calculated?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slimmboyfat

Hi guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. I know the medical assessment is a long long way off, however can someone clear this up for me. It states that your BMI should be no more than 30. Now being a rugby player this is particularity difficult as you can imagine however I am not in any way over weight!
    However it also says that body fat is not over 5% above the predicated maximum. What exactly does that mean and how is it calculated?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. Pretty sure that's not the guidance in this campaign because people were over thinking it.
    It now says 'It is expected that you will already have been adopting a healthy lifestyle etc. You may not meet the the medical standard if you are clinically obese.'

As a guide if you can pass the PCA you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

To be honest im more worried about being too skinny than anything else lol im trying to gain weight and muscle for the PCA, anyone suggest a good weight gaining supplement to help along with a high calories diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

KN1231999 wrote: »
    To be honest im more worried about being too skinny than anything else lol im trying to gain weight and muscle for the PCA, anyone suggest a good weight gaining supplement to help along with a high calories diet?
    Just sent u a private message.

Just sent u a private message.

Replied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

weight gainers are terrible. Full of sugar and all sorts. Can make you fat.

Hi guys/girls

I'm just after running 2km tonight with 1 minute break at 1km I haven't ran in ages and I totally surprised myself I ran that far. I'm no running expert but do this sound quite good for somebody starting running or should I be able to run more? I'm starting to get fit now hopefully be in shape if i make it to the pca:)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Hi guys/girls

I'm just after running 2km tonight with 1 minute break at 1km I haven't ran in ages and I totally surprised myself I ran that far. I'm no running expert but do this sound quite good for somebody starting running or should I be able to run more? I'm starting to get fit now hopefully be in shape if i make it to the pca:)
    It’s a good start. Keep at it. Gradually increase your run times, decrease your rest times. Couch to 5k is excellent, look into it if you haven’t already. You may find he first few weeks easy enough. Practice intervals training too.

blueboat wrote: »
    Hi guys/girls

It’s a good start. Keep at it. Gradually increase your run times, decrease your rest times. Couch to 5k is excellent, look into it if you haven’t already. You may find he first few weeks easy enough. Practice intervals training too.

Thanks!! Il look into that sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Hey everyone just remember that the merit list isn't being handed to PSNI until the last week of March 2018 if it all goes on time. Starting next week that gives you 24 weeks. So don't be doing any crash diets etc as it will hurt you in long run. 24 weeks is plenty of time to get fit and in better shape as long as you are training and eating right.

Best training for PCA would be circuits classes kettlebells classes and interval running. Try having your running at a high intensity for 5 minute intervals to get used to it as PCA is under 4mins.

NiK9 wrote: »
    Hey everyone just remember that the merit list isn't being handed to PSNI until the last week of March 2018 if it all goes on time. Starting next week that gives you 24 weeks. So don't be doing any crash diets etc as it will hurt you in long run. 24 weeks is plenty of time to get fit and in better shape as long as you are training and eating right.

Best training for PCA would be circuits classes kettlebells classes and interval running. Try having your running at a high intensity for 5 minute intervals to get used to it as PCA is under 4mins.

Thanks NiK, will deffo take the advice, you get the call for the last campaign?

• Advertisement

Thanks NiK, will deffo take the advice, you get the call for the last campaign?

No I'm only applying for this new campaign, I just know about the fitness side as I've worked in the health industry.

No I'm only applying for this new campaign, I just know about the fitness side as I've worked in the health industry.

Oh ok, Well. Heres to both of us succeeding, hope to see you a the A/C or the PCA :)if were lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

This is the best advice so far. Long steady state cardio at low intensity is a waste of time. It's a maximum effort test, focus on working at near the upper end of your heart rates capability.

Found 400m track sprints mixed with some circuit classes etc to be perfect preperation.

Oh ok, Well. Heres to both of us succeeding, hope to see you a the A/C or the PCA :)if were lucky

I'm hoping so too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Thanks!

There will certainly be a bad boy some where in the near future that'll regret annoying you lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 first_timer10

Hi guys, never thought I would be back on here!  Second time applying after getting through ISTs & AC back in 2010 to be told that due to budget cuts our applications would be cancelled (heartbroken after getting through both!)

Just looking some advice from FIveOTrainer with regards to promotion/pay?  Do internal promotions occur regularly?  Is there a possibility to jump pay points depending on performance?  

Money isn't everything but with a family and kids to support it is a huge factor.  Over the last 7 years I have focused all my efforts into a new career, with a current salary on par to what a experience Sergeant within the PSNI would be paid. I am willing to make a sacrifice to be in a career that I have always wanted.  Just want to know is there possibilities for progression quickly within the force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Hi guys, never thought I would be back on here!  Second time applying after getting through ISTs & AC back in 2010 to be told that due to budget cuts our applications would be cancelled (heartbroken after getting through both!)

Just looking some advice from FIveOTrainer with regards to promotion/pay?  Do internal promotions occur regularly?  Is there a possibility to jump pay points depending on performance?  

Money isn't everything but with a family and kids to support it is a huge factor.  Over the last 7 years I have focused all my efforts into a new career, with a current salary on par to what a experience Sergeant within the PSNI would be paid. I am willing to make a sacrifice to be in a career that I have always wanted.  Just want to know is there possibilities for progression quickly within the force?

From a serving officer who is a family member

There will be no promotion until after probation, then you are free to sit the sergeants exam. However even if you pass the exam theres no guarantee you will be allocated a post immediately.

He said "How long is a piece of string"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Your pay will increase in line with the 7 year payscale as a constable which you can find online. Other than that, there are no other pay rises. Once you complete probation you can apply for a Sgts post which involves sitting an exam and now an interview too - as Banterbus said, no gaurantee that passing the exam even gets you a post as hundreds can pass and there may only be a few vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 officerready11

Hello everyone, from the Belfast area,

I'm new to this thread applied back in the last recruitment campaign when I was just turning 18. Just turned 20 and now at university doing an LLB Law with Policing degree.

I want to join the PSNI - in fact - it is the only police service I am interested in joining.

Would it be worth it applying while at university because I know if I get through the recruitment process I would happily drop out and resume my degree on a part time basis.

Need advise guys

Cheers

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Hello everyone, from the Belfast area,

I'm new to this thread applied back in the last recruitment campaign when I was just turning 18. Just turned 20 and now at university doing an LLB Law with Policing degree.

I want to join the PSNI - in fact - it is the only police service I am interested in joining.

Would it be worth it applying while at university because I know if I get through the recruitment process I would happily drop out and resume my degree on a part time basis.

Need advise guys

Cheers

M.

Apply but definitely stick at uni! You never know what could happen. Those of us left waiting in 1509 have been in the process over 2 years now and there were people from the previous campaign waiting years to get in as well. I have few regrets but I regret not applying for other jobs while going through this process.

Advertisement