Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Slo85 wrote: »
    I'm excited to apply but absolutely crapping myself about the process. I will be properly gutted if I don't get in.

Same, but i find from the advice of people like blueboat, Homer01and olthers whohave been in the process and succeeded where we should just go inginving full 100% effort, and hopefully it will shine thorugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

KN1231999 wrote: »
    I'm excited to apply but absolutely crapping myself about the process. I will be properly gutted if I don't get in.

Same, but i find from the advice of people like blueboat, Homer01and olthers whohave been in the process and succeeded where we should just go inginving full 100% effort, and hopefully it
    will shine thorugh

I've read over all the comments on the threads and have taken all the info I can get. Fingers crossed we make it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Yeah like in terms of personality I know I have what it takes and would make a smashing officer.... but it’s the IST and exams that I need to buckle down with and show that I have what it takes because it’s all well and good that I know I can do it....but we all have to prove to the examiners that we have what it takes!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

You guys have got it. Your one step ahead of the rest being on the boards. Good luck folks.

With regards to the assessment centre. Is it another IST, role plays and written exam? No formal interview?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

With regards to the assessment centre. Is it another IST, role plays and written exam? No formal interview?

Cheers.

Roles plays, written assessment. And a smaller IST. If your IST results change drastically at the AC they can call you for a third full IST under exam conditions. This is so people can't cheat with the online IST.
    No interview in the process.

NiK9 wrote: »

Cheers.

Roles plays, written assessment. And a smaller IST. If your IST results change drastically at the AC they can call you for a third full IST under exam conditions. This is so people can't cheat with the online IST.

Great thank you. Do you know if the written part is like report writing of an actual exam?

Cheers.

Great thank you. Do you know if the written part is like report writing of an actual exam?

It's not an exam, it will be a something to do with the scenarios. May not be report writing but it will have something to do with the role play exercises.

Cheers.

It's not an exam, it will be a something to do with the scenarios. May not be report writing but it will have something to do with the role play exercises.

Cheers.

Brilliant thank you.

Honestly lads, for the IST i think the best thing you can do is just get used to reading them fast and being able to efficiently extract the information out of them without wasting time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Honestly lads, for the IST i think the best thing you can do is just get used to reading them fast and being able to efficiently extract the information out of them without wasting time
    The time limit is what I'm most worried about.

Use a stopwatch. Take a minute at start- divide number of questions by time you have. Don’t spend over allotted time on each question. Work way through paper efficiently and make sure you have practiced beforehand. Do this and your golden.

NornIron74 wrote: »
    The time limit is what I'm most worried about.

Yea that's the downfall with it being online. When the IST was on paper as soon as the timer started people would go to the end and randomly tick 5 or 10 of the multiple choice answers in case time ran out.
    Which is probably another one of the reasons it was brought online, so that the people who get finished and choose the right answers get through rather than people getting through on luck.
    Just keep a phone with a timer beside you during IST. But make sure it's on flight mode so you arnt interrupted with calls etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I wouldn't try and apply in the first 24 hrs in case servers explode lol

You think so? lol

You think so? lol

Yea give them a day or so to find any bugs or issues

Easy 10,000 people will apply

Easy 10,000 people will apply

Thats alot of applicants, i heard somewhere that this next campaign will intake alot of new recruits due to alot of retirement and stuff so we gotta be sure to get to the finish line, we have good chance this year if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

I was talking to an on-duty inspector last week and he was saying that there are 1300 retirements this year that need filling plus the extra roles due to the expanding squad sizes!

Any idea what time the applications go live next Monday? I’ll probably do mine Monday evening

Lockie101 wrote: »
    I was talking to an on-duty inspector last week and he was saying that there are 1300 retirements this year that need filling plus the extra roles due to the expanding squad sizes!

Any idea what time the applications go live next Monday? I’ll probably do mine Monday evening

Thats crazy, adds a little more pressure to succeed lol.
    If i would say myself it will be live 7/8AM monday morning.
    Ill most likely be doing it around the same time.

• Advertisement

I'll not be doing it till wednesday lol

From what i was told there are up to 800 expected to retire due to the end of the 30 year contract ending in 2018 for the full time RUC reserves. Obviously not all are going to retire though, but then on top of that there is the normal yearly retirement numbers. Wouldn't expect the PSNI to fill all them places within one campaign though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 officerready11

With so many current PSNI serving officers eligible for retirement nearly 2000, does anyone envisage PSNI to recruit on an on-going basis in the next few years, with multiple recruitment campaigns?

Just curious

Cheers

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Not really a question about the process but just in general; are there usually many people applying that have full university degrees? And would they be looked more favourably upon than others? I have my 9 GCSE’s and have been doing volunteer work flat out to show my community involvement (due to that being a large part of PSNI work now) but I worry that I will be up against older people (I am 19) that have degrees and a lot more life experience than me

Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference; that goes for qualifications and experience.

Now that might well help you in the upcoming testing stages but they really don't care as long as you have the minimum. We've had lawyers and even doctors go through the same process along with experienced officers from around the world. Everyone has apply the same way I'm afraid.

The PSNI do have a Fast Track programme for officers that show potential if you're interested. Don't anything about it other than it exists.

Has anyone seen this campaign advertised anywhere?

Obviously we're all police nerds and see it in our sleep but has there been any above the line advertising? I.e Billboards, radio, newspapers etc.?

I've seen plenty on Facebook and Belfast Live but that's about it.

I just wonder if that will affect numbers especially as they have ditched the recruitment sessions (for obvious reasons).
    Previous campaigns have seen anything from 6,000 to 9,000 if I remember correctly.

Ultimately the less in the race the better chance you have :D

Haven’t seen any other advertising

blueboat wrote: »
    Haven’t seen any other advertising

1509 definitely had ads on the back of buses and I'm pretty sure Nolan did a piece on the radio as well.

I guess it's better to get a smaller number of people who really want it than a larger number who only apply because their mates tagged them on FB for a laugh.

Yea. Maybe the budget just doesn’t stretch.

blueboat wrote: »
    Yea. Maybe the budget just doesn’t stretch.

True. I suppose if they're after the younger demographic then social media is the way to go.
    Maybe they have some targeted ads in the certain areas they want people from too.

• Advertisement

Belfast live advertised it electronically. Apart from that... no.

Advertisement