Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Nope. AC once.

Failed IST because at that stage I did not know what it was like.

Just want people to avoid my mistakes.

Yeah the first two stages are tough..and you didn’t do the PCA before then

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

They've added hours and minutes to the countdown on the website. Very exciting !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Cbm27 wrote: »
    They've added hours and minutes to the countdown on the website. Very exciting !!

#buzzing

Deloitte got back to me.

Didn't really answer the question about how long the IST will be available for.

However the website will close for applications on the 10th Nov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Deloitte got back to me.

From the PSNI Guidance for Applicants, "The IST is an online exam that will be available for access for a one week period."

• Advertisement

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Deloitte got back to me.

From the PSNI Guidance for Applicants, "The IST is an online exam that will be available for access for a one week period."

Doesn't define Mon-Fri or Mon-Sun

Could be a working working week 5 days

Or a calender week 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Could be a working working week 5 days

Or a calender week 7 days.
    True, hopefully it's the latter.

On another note. Anyone else hoping this reviewed Tattoo policy is a little more.... liberal....

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

On another note. Anyone else hoping this reviewed Tattoo policy is a little more.... liberal....

To be honest I feel the policy at the minute is pretty liberal. I have fairly large tattoos in areas that would be visible in short sleeve uniform and I cleared vetting no problem and fairly quickly. I'll have to wear long sleeves, although that would have been my preference anyway.

• Advertisement

Thank god for that. Yea tattoos on show make you identifable. Long sleeves it'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Thank god for that. Yea tattoos on show make you identifable. Long sleeves it'll be.

I actually thought they would be a problem so started getting them lasered just after applying in the 1509 campaign but I passed vetting so stopped, should really start again they look horrendous now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Quick question.

I've been looking up some role play scenarios and for example if you say you would call the police/ambulance would you actually pretend to call them or is it enough to say that is what you will do?

So much going round in my head with the process.

Slo85 wrote: »
    Quick question.

I've been looking up some role play scenarios and for example if you say you would call the police/ambulance would you actually pretend to call them or is it enough to say that is what you will do?

Pm me

I cannot go into details of what actually happens at the assessment centre. But whatever book you got that from ignore.

I cannot go into details of what actually happens at the assessment centre. But whatever book you got that from ignore.

There's me thinking I was preparing myself 🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Quick question.

That is the plus side of the world of make believe. You can promise you'll do A, B and even C. You'll get points for saying you'll do it, you don't have to actually do it.

The trick is knowing what A, B and C is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Glock's safety is on the trigger. Hands down one of the safest pistols in the world.

Lol no it isn't the safest. The safety is on the trigger, yes, but it's a weighted safety (a certain amount of force must be applied) and far from the safest option considering there are pistols with physical safety catches.

And yes, the PW who shot herself accidentally was cleared of all wrongdoing but it's still a discharge of a firearm due to negligence ie not applying the lanyard before holstering the weapon.

majgreen wrote: »
    Lol no it isn't the safest. The safety is on the trigger, yes, but it's a weighted safety (a certain amount of force must be applied) and far from the safest option considering there are pistols with physical safety catches.

And yes, the PW who shot herself accidentally was cleared of all wrongdoing but it's still a discharge of a firearm due to negligence ie not applying the lanyard before holstering the weapon.

Thanks once more for setting us newbies straight. Always good to get it from the voice of experience.

On a side note - having spoken with Five0Trainer I'd be fairly confident he is legit. I will not commit to saying 100% sure but has definitely provided enough info that should only be accessible to police officers via police systems

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »
    Quick question.

That is the plus side of the world of make believe. You can promise you'll do A, B and even C. You'll get points for saying you'll do it, you don't have to actually do it.

The trick is knowing what A, B and C is :)

Thank you. Will have to brush up on my buzz words. God love all the policemen i know.

majgreen wrote: »
    On a side note - having spoken with Five0Trainer I'd be fairly confident he is legit. I will not commit to saying 100% sure but has definitely provided enough info that should only be accessible to police officers via police systems

He's actually closed his account. Take from that what you will.

Serving officers are not allowed to tutor...

Ah well. I wouldn't have advised anyone to take up his offer anyway and there would be very little he could offer unless he was aware of what the recruitment stages were.

Probs was gonna charge a high fee as well

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Hye guys, I just read the last few pages and have a few questions  from them so bear with me:
    1. It was earlier mentioned to "revise hard" for the IST... I have looked at all the websites previously mentioned and done their IST's but in my opinion, there is no definitive preparation (feel free to disagree and prove me wrong).
    2. The tattoo policy (some pm me please) preferably someone who has been through vetting
    3. This is my first time so I do not know the AC in any shape or form, but Slo85, personally I recommend putting an imaginary phone (because no phones are allowed in the AC) up to your ear and verbally saying "I would like A/B/C service". It is a roleplay after all and turning around to the invigilator and saying "I would then phone an ambulance" breaks the roleplay scenario. Again, anyone prove me wrong! Personally, from being in roleplaying situations for other jobs, I would keep my head in the scenario

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Hye guys, I just read the last few pages and have a few questions  from them so bear with me:
    1. It was earlier mentioned to "revise hard" for the IST... I have looked at all the websites previously mentioned and done their IST's but in my opinion, there is no definitive preparation (feel free to disagree and prove me wrong).
    2. The tattoo policy (some pm me please) preferably someone who has been through vetting
    3. This is my first time so I do not know the AC in any shape or form, but Slo85, personally I recommend putting an imaginary phone (because no phones are allowed in the AC) up to your ear and verbally saying "I would like A/B/C service". It is a roleplay after all and turning around to the invigilator and saying "I would then phone an ambulance" breaks the roleplay scenario. Again, anyone prove me wrong! Personally, from being in roleplaying situations for other jobs, I would keep my head in the scenario

The person in the room assessing you is for all intents and purposes invisible; pretend they're not there. You'll not need to do anything like you suggest.

What I meant was for example, you say to the role player that you'll get in contact with the Housing Exec, Youth Clubs or whatever. Obviously you don't actually do that. Or you could pretend to hand your business card etc.

As long as what you say is relevent, within your remit, helps them with their issue, helps the organisation with it's issue and generally gathers relevent infomation around what is presented to you.... you'll be fine

Does the pack you receive about the assessment centre give you a better idea as what to expect?

• Advertisement

It's an email. Just tells you where to be and when then regurgitates whats already in the guidance.

Advertisement