Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Off topic: lgbt open nights for police recruitment.
    Great idea and really support the drive to make the service more inclusive. Sadly people can’t see that it’s not “if your gay” your in. It’s merely to appeal to people from a community that have high rates of hate crime and feel the police don’t represent them.
    AnywAy do you think there will be generic open nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I think this is a two birds one stone approach.

Testing waters to see if open nights are achievable without some dick planting a bomb or making threats. And of they only get to do one may as well target the least represented demographic in the police.

20-25 age bracket. Police family, third atyempt to join as I aleays wanted to be a peeler much to the amusement of my friends and family. Some family don't want me to do it because they remember the dark days. Significant other isn't too pleased but she supports my decision.

I always wanted to help people. Earlier in life it was the army like sparky but you don't really get to help people in the army.

Having worked in the health sector primarily in learbing disability and mental health I have seen some pretty mental **** but i want to help those vulnerable people before they end up in the places I used to work in.

I now work in an office and i'm twitching to be outside. I want to help people. I want to be the ad hoc social worker, youth worker, the first aider, the shoulder to cry on and the protector.

Catching baddies and getting to go on blue light runs will be pretty good to.

Almost exact same rational and background Banterbus. 20-25 bracket and working in family support serivices as a youth worker. Rooting for ya bud as I get what it’s like to want to be able to help
    People more in a first response sense. My first time applying but have contemplated it for about a 2 years now.

Testing waters to see if open nights are achievable without some dick planting a bomb or making threats. And of they only get to do one may as well target the least represented demographic in the police.

Aye fair enough. Hopefully there is one and who knows might I just Turn up to the other ones if they go ahead.

NiK9 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I seen a thing there about recruitment coaching for the entrance tests, I wonder would it be worth doing? Although I was also thinking how much could they really know about the SJT?

Cheers

No coaches are going to know much about the new IST as it has completely changed. Anyone offering coaching for ist is probably just going to give you questions you could find online yourself. Although coaching for the A.C. may be of help. But company's can't be recommended on this board.

The coaches have adapted, trust me ;)

• Advertisement

takodah wrote: »

Aye fair enough. Hopefully there is one and who knows might I just Turn up to the other ones if they go ahead.

PM'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

takodah wrote: »
    Off topic: lgbt open nights for police recruitment.
    Great idea and really support the drive to make the service more inclusive. Sadly people can’t see that it’s not “if your gay” your in. It’s merely to appeal to people from a community that have high rates of hate crime and feel the police don’t represent them.
    AnywAy do you think there will be generic open nights?

Fantastic idea!

Anything that helps improve the representation across the service is to be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

Does anyone know of any upcoming coaching sessions for the recruitment campaign? Would like to know more about the AC

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

20-25 age bracket. Police family, third atyempt to join as I aleays wanted to be a peeler much to the amusement of my friends and family. Some family don't want me to do it because they remember the dark days. Significant other isn't too pleased but she supports my decision.

I always wanted to help people. Earlier in life it was the army like sparky but you don't really get to help people in the army.

Having worked in the health sector primarily in learbing disability and mental health I have seen some pretty mental **** but i want to help those vulnerable people before they end up in the places I used to work in.

I now work in an office and i'm twitching to be outside. I want to help people. I want to be the ad hoc social worker, youth worker, the first aider, the shoulder to cry on and the protector.

Catching baddies and getting to go on blue light runs will be pretty good to.
    Very interesting to hear al l your reasons and stories, thanks for sharing!

Cbm27 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any upcoming coaching sessions for the recruitment campaign? Would like to know more about the AC

We can't talk about the AC as we signed a non-disclosure agreement. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 srm17

KN1231999 wrote: »
    Bit off topic, and maybe personal but how long would you all say you had a passion to the join service for? i would say its been 5 years for me, i know it depends on age too. im in the age 18-20 range

I'm 20-25 age range, I ALWAYS wanted to do somthing of this nature, when I was younger it was the army but my mind changed because I dint want to be away from home, it all changed when I watched a programme on TV in 2009 called on the firing line I think it was all about London police firearms team and I just knew that was right up my street! I was mad about the police and my friends thought I was crazy! I couldn't understand why they don't think joining the police was awesome lol. This is my first time applying as I dint feel i was ready to apply and looking back I'm glad I dint in a sense I don't think I would have got in anyway I was still learning a lot about life and maturing. I believe I have a solid enough foundation now to give it a shot and hopefully have a relistic chance of getting in!

I'm in the exact same situation too.  Always wanted to do this from as long as I can remember, then tried the army when I was around 17 but think this will be more up my street.  Good Luck :) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cbm27

Cbm27 wrote: »

We can't talk about the AC as we signed a non-disclosure agreement. Sorry

Understandable. I thought the coaching would be able to give mock scenarios and role plays ect. Mabye best to worry about IST before AC I'm getting ahead of myself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

One step at a time... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Hello everyone, back once again on the forum now recruitment has started up. Thank you for posting up the information about the IST. I'm glad to hear the numerical test has been removed! I crashed and burned at the AC stage in the last recruitment campaign so currently thinking about applying again. I think my age is putting me of to be honest. I am the wrong side of 35!
    Anyway good luck to all those who are applying.

BB

Hello everyone, back once again on the forum now recruitment has started up. Thank you for posting up the information about the IST. I'm glad to hear the numerical test has been removed! I crashed and burned at the AC stage in the last recruitment campaign so currently thinking about applying again. I think my age is putting me of to be honest. I am the wrong side of 35!

BB
    PM'd you

Go for it - you're only as old as you feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

BB

I’m in the 35-40 bracket myself. As long as you’re fit enough age doesn’t matter. Though it is nice I’m not the only thirtysomething applying.

About what others were saying. I have always had two dream jobs, the PSNI and the one I am doing now. The PSNI is the only job I would consider leaving this one for. Unfortunately I was only able to apply for the PSNI later in life due to having poor eyesight corrected. Though its been that long since I started applying I’m wearing glasses again haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

I’m in the 30+ club too. Give it your best shot and see what happens. All the best matey!

As am I, but age is only a number.  If anything, we have a bit more life experience and maturity. 

Allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tubes46

also in the old guys rule bracket. sent off application this morn delighted the data sheet is gone for IST. also crashed n burned at AC last time. hope the experience stands. good luck to all applying.

• Advertisement

Seems you all have been in the AC and had a go at the beast, any advice you lads can give without mentioning anything?

Seems you all have been in the AC and had a go at the beast, any advice you lads can give without mentioning anything?

If what I’m about to write is classed as saying too much please remove.

If nothing has changed from the previous times, be confident and learn to write fast.

Goonerdee wrote: »

If nothing has changed from the previous times, be confident and learn to write fast.
    Thank you, definitely taking it on board. Making myself a little list of things I should be weary about (the way I speak, remembering to breathe etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Breathing is important. Can vouch for that.

Goonerdee wrote: »

Thank you, definitely taking it on board. Making myself a little list of things I should be weary about (the way I speak, remembering to breathe etc...)

Its all common sense, they aren’t out to trip you up. I say what causes people to crash out is nerves getting the better of them.

Dont be afraid to take a step back, breathe and step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Remember they are looking for you to demonstrate your competence against the list of Personal Behaviours, so make sure you have thoroughly read and understood the behaviours and can think of how you can put them into practice in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

blueboat wrote: »
    Breathing is important. Can vouch for that.
    I concur; breathing is indeed a vital tool

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

C3POPO wrote: »
    Remember they are looking for you to demonstrate your competence against the list of Personal Behaviours, so make sure you have thoroughly read and understood the behaviours and can think of how you can put them into practice in real life.
    Is there an actual list of these "Personal Behaviours"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Lockie101 wrote: »
    C3POPO wrote: »
    Is there an actual list of these "Personal Behaviours"?

Accountability:
    *Serving the public
    *Openness to change
    *Service delivery

Collaborative Decision Making:
    *Decision making
    *Working with others

Courtesy, Fairness & Respect:
    *Professionalism

Advertisement