Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Unfortunately not, especially without a government. It tends to get tighter toward the end of the financial year but often it's a case of finding out they can afford another squad of x amount a month or so before hand. Just because you're on the merit list and awaiting a call doesn't mean your gauranteed a job sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Completely off topic but would anyone have a rough idea of when recruits from this campaign would be going to GV?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

I dont understand why those waiting on a call are applying again. They are gonna get in, the fact this campaign is running guarantees it. The only thing stopping them is maybe failing vetting.

Not having a go here but you shouldn't post opinion as fact.

Tell that to the 1309 ones who got Dear Johns despite a campaign starting in 1405.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

I dont understand why those waiting on a call are applying again. They are gonna get in, the fact this campaign is running guarantees it. The only thing stopping them is maybe failing vetting.

Tell that to the 1309 ones who got Dear Johns despite a campaign starting in 1405.
    Sorry, stupid question but what is a "Dear John"? I'm taking it means that even tho you are in the clear you are being let go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

majgreen wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, especially without a government. It tends to get tighter toward the end of the financial year but often it's a case of finding out they can afford another squad of x amount a month or so before hand. Just because you're on the merit list and awaiting a call doesn't mean your gauranteed a job sadly

Fair enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Slo85 wrote: »
    Completely off topic but would anyone have a rough idea of when recruits from this campaign would be going to GV?
    Anywhere from june/July 2018 if top of merit list to sometime in 2020. There is ones still waiting to go into Gv who applied in Sept 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

This is just a guess but it states that you must be at least 18 and no older than 57 on the 10th May 2018, so that could be when the highest scorers get into GV.

Great thank you. Do you know what happens if you have a holiday booked. Do they take the approach tough luck or are they accommodating?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

I'm waiting on a call but have reapplied just in case, for that exact reason.  Nothing is guaranteed, especially with the current political impasse.  Hate the thoughts of doing it all again but hate my current job more!  Hopefully though I'll get the call before I have to work my way through too much of the new campaign.

With regards to the holiday situation, I touched lucky and had my PCA 2 days beforehand!  I think if you have prebooked before applying they will try to accommodate you but I can't be sure.  If you book a holiday during the process, I think it's a case of tough luck!  I think there were some people in the current campaign even went as far as postponing their wedding!

For most people, it's their dream career for one reason or another - I wouldn't be prepared to throw it away over a holiday.  It can be frustrating for other family members as you can't really plan anything but it will be worth it in the long run if you want it enough.

I've a holiday booked but it could always be rearranged if I'm successful.

I hope you get the call soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rookie23

I'm in the same boat with a holiday booke round easter but I'd be more than happy not to go if it mean't getting in! Holidays are easily booked, this on the other hand not so much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

It's not cost effective to bin such a small pool. Think of the amount of monwy it has cost to process those people this far?

It will certainly cost a lot more to bring people up from scratch to the same point....

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

I've a holiday booked but it could always be rearranged if I'm successful.

I hope you get the call soon.
    So do I!  One last peaceful Christmas :D

It's not cost effective to bin such a small pool. Think of the amount of monwy it has cost to process those people this far?

It will certainly cost a lot more to bring people up from scratch to the same point....

To further the point if I was still waiting on vetting at this point then yea I would applly again but if everything is passed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Again Banterbus, tell that to 1309. There was at least one squad full who got binned despite having everything passed and cleared. It doesn't make much sense but it happens. Even with everything passed, it doesn't hurt to apply again and then cancel the application if you get then call. How bad are you going to feel if you get your dear John letter and haven't applied Again?

It happened to a friend of mine. It sucks.

If it happened to me, I'd deal with, devastating but no ones died. I will not put my life on hold for it so nothing really changes. My friend didn't put his life on hold tried again 1509 and is now a serving officer.

**** happens.

Without sounding cliché the police will always be there and they will eventually recruit. If you aren't tied down and really want to be a peeler theres the mainland forces and MODplod...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheBearcop

I'm waiting on a call but have reapplied just in case, for that exact reason.  Nothing is guaranteed, especially with the current political impasse.  Hate the thoughts of doing it all again but hate my current job more!  Hopefully though I'll get the call before I have to work my way through too much of the new campaign.

With regards to the holiday situation, I touched lucky and had my PCA 2 days beforehand!  I think if you have prebooked before applying they will try to accommodate you but I can't be sure.  If you book a holiday during the process, I think it's a case of tough luck!  I think there were some people in the current campaign even went as far as postponing their wedding!

For most people, it's their dream career for one reason or another - I wouldn't be prepared to throw it away over a holiday.  It can be frustrating for other family members as you can't really plan anything but it will be worth it in the long run if you want it enough.
    I’m in the exact same boat as you, I haven’t got the call yet and I have everything passed so I’m covering my back, it’s not hurting anyone sticking in another application. I want this and I won’t let anything stop me until I’m on that beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheBearcop

I’m in the exact same boat as you, I haven’t got the call yet and I have everything passed so I’m covering my back, it’s not hurting anyone sticking in another application. I want this and I won’t let anything stop me until I’m on that beat!

I fully understand now. I'm just not holding my breath for anything until i'm opening a cardboard box in the gym in GV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Davidb1988

any one any experience of the IST( new)  and AC 'coaching' that seems to be available?

• Advertisement

Davidb1988 wrote: »
    any one any experience of the IST( new)  and AC 'coaching' that seems to be available?

This IST is new to us all. However if you have applied to any silly service jobs the new IST looks to be very similar to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

hey folks!
    I used to have an account on the forum in the last campaign, however when i got put out at AC, I left for a while and the numpty i am forgot my account details. Was lurking on the board for a number of months and thought now that i've applied again i should make a new account. All the best to those applying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Davidb1988

I've looked at a few of the situational tests etc. available online. was more so the 'coaching classes' that seem to be on offer for the AC? If anyone had ever taken part in any of these?

Yes but cannot give names or numbers on a public forum sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

hey folks!
    I used to have an account on the forum in the last campaign, however when i got put out at AC, I left for a while and the numpty i am forgot my account details. Was lurking on the board for a number of months and thought now that i've applied again i should make a new account. All the best to those applying!

Welcome and all the best to yourself as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

How much are new recruit wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    On the guidance for applicants booklet it states "The starting salary for student officers appointed from this competition will be £19,578 (currently under review)." I believe when you become a probationary Constable this increases to £22,896.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    It's on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Hi guys, back on this again!

On the subject of weddings, anyone know how liberal GV is when it comes to this?

Certainly when I was going through Tulliallan (scottish police college) I guy on my course got a couple of days off. Mind you he did have alot of catching up to do!

Do you work weekends in GV or is it mid week 8 till 4s? Getting married next year is all! Ta

• Advertisement

You'll work a sat or sun if there is a bank holiday earlier that week.

Advertisement