Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Been a bit quiet on here, how are you guys preparing for the new IST ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Been a bit quiet on here, how are you guys preparing for the new IST ?
    Just taking loads of practice tests online.

Same here, also using a police exam book but other than the verbal reasoning part to it, it's pretty useless.

Same here, also using a police exam book but other than the verbal reasoning part to it, it's pretty useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Trying every online test I can find.

• Advertisement

Slo85 wrote: »
    Same here, running out of them now haha

Slo85 wrote: »
    Same here, running out of them now haha

I've bought some from websites too. Trying to be as prepared as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I'm doing every test I can find online for ist, but honestly most of my time is being spent on a.c. prep as that's where I failed last campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Yea that's why i'm itchy about personal security. The bastatds are trying to kill us let's not make their work easier.

• Advertisement

NiK9 wrote: »
    I'm doing every test I can find online for ist, but honestly most of my time is being spent on a.c. prep as that's where I failed last campaign.

This is my first time applying so I have no idea what to expect with regards to the AC. Keep looking at various things online.

Only tell those you love and trust. It's just not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rookie23

NiK9 wrote: »
    Can I ask what you are doing to prepare for the A.C? That's the part I'm nervous about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

takodah wrote: »

Bad brutes!!!! It will all come back on them one day though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chase1

Just got my acknowledgement email, exciting times!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

For me the article shows the threat is very real knowing people in the jobs personally I have seen that side to life.
    Some new recruits and people on here haven’t maybe thought about it in the same way. Always good to be cautious. I seen on another thread people giving out way to much info.

Can remember a few years back I was in a youth group and the police came in for a talk to us. Half an hour into the talk a woman ran in saying the police jeep was on fire. Both of the police ran for the door and the youth worker grabbed one by the vest dragging him back. The young policeman looked puzzled. The youth worker said it could be a trap and the officer drew his gun and went out after his partner. The car luckily was saved but damaged and it turns out it was just youths who did it. I remember the Sargent coming down from the station and thanking the youth worker for pulling the young constables back. He said something like “these young officers don’t know what it was like. That could have been a very different call out for me, thanks. “
    Always stuck with me.

Old hats I know think the lack of awareness of the DR threat is terrifying for probationers coming out of GV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I haven't even started yet but I can already tell personal security and threat awareness is instilled throughout GV.

No one is leaving GV with a lack of awareness!

Homer01 wrote: »
    I haven't even started yet but I can already tell personal security and threat awareness is instilled throughout GV.

No one is leaving GV with a lack of awareness!

I'll trust the people i know with 20 plus years experience

What?

• Advertisement

Theres a difference between awareness and appreciation. Being aware does not mean you appreciate the reality that there are people out there who will try and enjoy killing you.

People I know who have a wealth of experience have told me that some probationers leave GV without fully appreciating the threat.

Homer01 wrote: »

What?

The stuff that you hear about is only a sample of the reality.

Ask any peeler who works in Strabane, Derry or Craigavon.

What the public doesn't know is terrifying.

I don't have the inside knowledge you clearly have but I got the very strong impression from induction that the organisation takes personal security very seriously.
    When you say 'lack of awareness' is terrifying I think you are wrong as they are trained to a high standard to have that awareness.

NI is a very different place to 20 or 30 years ago; you can't really ding new officers because they didn't live through it. Surely it's up these more experienced officers to share their knowledge and experience to help us new officers.

Everyone was new once even the people you know with 20+ years service.

Just remember you need to come home to your family. Don't get complacent.

The terrorists are cowards and are not gonna go for you if it looks like you'll make it difficult for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

As with other things it will all depend on location, everywhere in NI is different. But an overall sense of personal security even now is good to have to get it instilled to you

Homer just has an issue with me.

Keep safe guys

Keep safe guys

• Advertisement

Keep safe guys

Please stop with the drama.

I don't even know you but if you say things on a public forum that I believe to be wrong then I will challenge that. As many others have done.

For example when you start asking people how they old are.

Advertisement