Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

The terrorists are cowards and are not gonna go for you if it looks like you'll make it difficult for them.

Very true and if they come for me il not be bowing down to them or going down with out a fight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Took me a wee second to figure that out hahah but I get it now lol

While we are on the subject of cowradly rats

Let's rember prison officer David Black and his family who were torn apart by scum 5 years today!!

Never forget!!

To those who did it your day will come! Another 100 years from now you will have your just reward for what you did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

hey guys haven't applied for new campaign yet but from what I gather there is no personal statements etc so is it just really personal details etc and how long does it take to fill in ?

• Advertisement

hey guys haven't applied for new campaign yet but from what I gather there is no personal statements etc so is it just really personal details etc and how long does it take to fill in ?

No nothing like that 5 mins or 10 mins at the most!!

Took me 2-3 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 redsox101

could anyone enlighten me on the Vetting side of things; I'm just wondering what actually happens with providing the 3 year history, are previous employers contacted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

redsox101 wrote: »
    could anyone enlighten me on the Vetting side of things; I'm just wondering what actually happens with providing the 3 year history, are previous employers contacted?

Employers don't usually have to be contacted as vetting records with HMRC will show your employment history. 3 years isn't a long time.
    But just remember Things that happen outside of the 3 years may not stop you getting the job, but should still be declared, not declaring it may have your vetting declined.

Thankfully I'm squared away with that side of things and have no convictions.

I wouldn't have any issue with my current employer, but previous employers would be somewhat questionable! Given the security situation and people perhaps mentioning to others as you can imagine word easily spreads.

• Advertisement

They are making sure you have;
    1. No inappropriate associations
    2. Are not a affiliated to proscribed organisation or hate groups
    3. no criminal record
    4. No crippling debt
    5. Never had employment terminated for theft, gross misconduct etc

3. no criminal record
    4. No crippling debt

What would "hate group" include? In a politically correct society I would fear that would include anyone who has spoken up against somthibg that is wrong for example Muslim extremist mirdering people but would they view that as islampbobia?

EDL, Combat 18, Protestant Coalition etc

Thankful I've a full clean sheet with regards the vetting and got through it every 5 years for extracurricular activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TERRYFOLDS

3. no criminal record
    4. No crippling debt

What would "hate group" include? In a politically correct society I would fear that would include anyone who has spoken up against somthibg that is wrong for example Muslim extremist mirdering people but would they view that as islampbobia?
    Depends how it is said. Islamophobia is not political correctness it is blind hatred pure and simple. If you fear you have said something wrong maybe you need to address those fears and examine your opinions before becoming a community based police constable working in a diverse society and likely to come into contact with vulnerable minorities who are victims of hate crime and persecution. Not going to continue this discussion any further.

TERRYFOLDS wrote: »
    3. no criminal record
    4. No crippling debt

Depends how it is said. Islamophobia is not political correctness it is blind hatred pure and simple. If you fear you have said something wrong maybe you need to address those fears and examine your opinions before becoming a community based police constable working in a diverse society and likely to come into contact with vulnerable minorities who are victims of hate crime and persecution. Not going to continue this discussion any further.

I don't fear anything I've said I have my own opinions certianly and beliefs and will contine to have them but as a police officer I will help every body and anybody regardless of weather they are "different" from myself or not!

Mate if there is anything in your past they WILL find it.

If you think islamaphobia is just political correctness you need to seriously reconsider applying.

I have seen it first hand and had to help deal with the aftermath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I think you will struggle if you have a phobia against groups of people. You have to be able to walk into any situation with an open mind.

Talking about phobias, I have two phobias, arachnaphobia and mild claustrophobia, one of my biggest fears is how will I cope in the back of an armoured landrover with those tiny windows. There is a real fear I might struggle with that.

Lol I don't have any phobias against anybody I was just using that as an example. I can understand that goonerdee it would probably be hard at the start but if you kept being exposed to it it might subside enough to not be a major worry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

On the topic of overtime. This is a quote from a book I’m reading ““Each year it gets more complicated and more difficult to make your monthly claims. Furthermore the guidelines, which they don't teach you anything about, are extremely complicated. Any mistakes made on these claim forms could be considered as a false claim, a theft and could result in a criminal conviction. You may even lose your job. Due to the complexity, officers’ general lack of knowledge in this area and the consequences of accidentally making a false claim, officers simply do not bother making many of the claims that they are entitled to.” Not saying I believe it any care to shed light?

I think i know who erote that is this your man that is on youtube as well guerning about the police?

Goonerdee wrote: »

Talking about phobias, I have two phobias, arachnaphobia and mild claustrophobia, one of my biggest fears is how will I cope in the back of an armoured landrover with those tiny windows. There is a real fear I might struggle with that.

It's alright i'm not so hot on clowns or geese lol

takodah wrote: »
    On the topic of overtime. This is a quote from a book I’m reading ““Each year it gets more complicated and more difficult to make your monthly claims. Furthermore the guidelines, which they don't teach you anything about, are extremely complicated. Any mistakes made on these claim forms could be considered as a false claim, a theft and could result in a criminal conviction. You may even lose your job. Due to the complexity, officers’ general lack of knowledge in this area and the consequences of accidentally making a false claim, officers simply do not bother making many of the claims that they are entitled to.” Not saying I believe it any care to shed light?

Guarantee you can get your hands on the guidance once you are in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I've always found that a funny definition. Having a phobia is a fear of, not a hatred towards.
    I think most of us are all in the same boat, we just want to make our wee country better and help everyone...
    Other hate groups include National action, the newly outlawed white nationalist group which has been in the news alot. Another one people don't always know about is the BNP. Even though it is a political group it's still classed as a hate group and no UK police forces allow you to join if you've had membership. Even RAF police won't allow you.

Reference takoda post about expenses, get an accountant. You don't need to be self employed to use one. My job is full time employed and I still have one. They cost £250 a year, which is tax deductible. April last I got a rebate of over £1600. April 2016 I got over £500 plus tax that i somehow owed from years ago was cleared.

You can claim fuel expenses through PSNI or HMRC as long as you arnt at your regular station. You can claim back food if away from normal station throigh hmrc and also food that you paid for from anywhere if you then had to leave it due to a 999.

I think i know who erote that is this your man that is on youtube as well guerning about the police?

Aye it is banter. Would recommend reading his book. Thought it worth my while surrounding myself with all view points and insights before applying. Book didn’t put me off and does give a good insight into day to day life and roles etc. Also highlights his perception of problems within the psni. Taken with a pinch of salt of course. Better to be informed than not in my opinion. Things he highlights are if your a mason you can rank up quicker. Bullying is rife in some units.
    You want to avoid training with the plastic bullet gun as the paper work ain’t worth it.
    He talks about his application to special operations ( if true it’s a mad training/test to get in).
    Again pinch of salt

NiK9 wrote: »
    I've always found that a funny definition. Having a phobia is a fear of, not a hatred towards.
    I think most of us are all in the same boat, we just want to make our wee country better and help everyone...
    Other hate groups include National action, the newly outlawed white nationalist group which has been in the news alot. Another one people don't always know about is the BNP. Even though it is a political group it's still classed as a hate group and no UK police forces allow you to join if you've had membership. Even RAF police won't allow you.

Reference takoda post about expenses, get an accountant. You don't need to be self employed to use one. My job is full time employed and I still have one. They cost £250 a year, which is tax deductible. April last I got a rebate of over £1600. April 2016 I got over £500 plus tax that i somehow owed from years ago was cleared.

You can claim fuel expenses through PSNI or HMRC as long as you arnt at your regular station. You can claim back food if away from normal station throigh hmrc and also food that you paid for from anywhere if you then had to leave it due to a 999.

Could be worth while cheers :)

Aye it is banter.

Nah family of mine are aware of him, one knows him, and the consensus he is just a bitter and resentful person. He has money and a sense of entitlement....

The baton gun is fun though.

• Advertisement

Aye it is banter.

Nah family of mine are aware of him, one knows him, and the consensus he is just a bitter and resentful person. He has money and a sense of entitlement....[/quot

Fair enough.

Advertisement