Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a320famalam

Woop! Hope everyone got some good news. I best be sharpish and sort some last min flights back from the mainland ;)

Woop! Hope everyone got some good news. I best be sharpish and sort some last min flights back from the mainland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slimmboyfat

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest any potential AC tutors which you have had experience with ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Smurfmaster1

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest any potential AC tutors which you have had experience with ?
    Thanks

I'll PM you in a sec mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Also interested in this if you could pm me too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

As I said in another thread...

For those considering a tutor for the AC be very very careful. You are entering a career where people actively want to kill you. It's not hard to pretend you were a serving officer and promise to give all the secrets to help you pass.

It's also worth noting that the AC changes over the years and even those of us who have completed it in recent years are unable to tell what to expect.

The information contained on this forum is far and above what you need to prepare yourself to pass. Take a full read first before shelling out

majgreen wrote: »

For those considering a tutor for the AC be very very careful. You are entering a career where people actively want to kill you. It's not hard to pretend you were a serving officer and promise to give all the secrets to help you pass.

It's also worth noting that the AC changes over the years and even those of us who have completed it in recent years are unable to tell what to expect.

The information contained on this forum is far and above what you need to prepare yourself to pass. Take a full read first before shelling out
    Excellent advice. Maybe the random guy I was talking to in a bar recently should take your advice instead of telling everyone in sight he was in the recruitment process after a few pints! I'd to tell him to keep it zipped. Seriously, I know its exciting but keep it to yourself. NEVER become complacent - even after several beers. (i'm not saying anyone here has been, just a word of friendly advice from someone who knows!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Loose lips sink ships and all that.

Tbh you should have just called him a muppet and walked away.

You don't want to just pass though, yes this forum will help you pass if you get to AC but sitting in the waiting room for 2 years would honestly juat sour me. To quote Tesco "every little helps"

You don't even need a PSNI tutor.

Any family that you have that do interviews for work would help you in asking people questions.

Know anyone who is a counsellor, nurse, doctor, physio? They all investigate things and so have to ask people questions.

I have a fair number of mates who have got in in the last few years. Those with a tutor got in pretty rapid those without didn't.

The only fear I would have with a tutor is complacency. You need to practice, practice, practice. If you do go for a tutor don't think they will carry you as you will be all on your lonesome at AC.

If I had have known about this forum when I went to AC I would have likely got that extra mark last time that would have put me over the line.

• Advertisement

My fear if I just go over the line would be if they are reverting back to the tempo of recruitment they had 2001-2009. Which I think is likely of this new process streamlines the process.

I.e. They take a certain amount after AC, say the 300 they needs plus a surplus of 100 to combat losses due to PCA fails medical fails and vetting fails as contingency, then chin the rest. Restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SN.Nibs

If some people wish to get a tutor for the AC stage like previously mentioned just be careful who you choose.

The whole point of the AC is to see how you perform under pressure and how you react to certain situations ie in the role plays when you are faced with a person who is shouting at you and up in your face how will you diffuse the situation effectively/calmly or will you go off on one a lot of you probably already know how to do these things in your daily jobs so don’t think about it too much.

I am a nurse myself in an emergency setting and these are all things I deal with on a daily basis. We also do role play all the time through training so if any of you do know a nurse or a doctor or someone who would deal with these kinds of situations it’s worth speaking to for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Personally, I'm preparing myself for the AC By learning the theory and formulas I have to use then learn to implement them into everyday scenarios that may happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

KN1231999 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm preparing myself for the AC By learning the theory and formulas I have to use then learn to implement them into everyday scenarios that may happen

Just wondering what do you mean by learning theory and formulas?

By theory, I mean the definitions behind the core behaviours, know them like the back of my hand, formulas is having things to say already pre learned in my head and just apply it to the situation at hand, and then all I have to do is learn the practical of it

That's good prep but what happens if something happens that you haven't pre learned? It's all good but it's not like an exam that you can just regurgitate what you have crammed.

Don't look at it so linear, because if you do then you will convince yourself that things need to happen in a specific way and when they don't, boom, unnecessary steps. You need to get out and ask people questions.

That's good prep but what happens if something happens that you haven't pre learned? It's all good but it's not like an exam that you can just regurgitate what you have crammed.

Don't look at it so linear, because if you do then you will convince yourself that things need to happen in a specific way and when they don't, boom, unnecessary steps. You need to get out and ask people questions.
    Like I said it's more of just having pre learned different strategies and talking techniques. Things I can apply to any situation

By theory, I mean the definitions behind the core behaviours, know them like the back of my hand, formulas is having things to say already pre learned in my head and just apply it to the situation at hand, and then all I have to do is learn the practical of it

I see what you mean mate, thanks

Like I said it's more of just having pre learned different strategies and talking techniques. Things I can apply to any situation

You need to practice those techniques by asking people questions, otherwise you won't know what works for you...

You need to practice those techniques by asking people questions, otherwise you won't know what works for you...
    I'll be going all out preparing for this. I'm passing this stage by any means necessary I won't let it slip. I'll sacrifice what I have to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Excellent advice. Maybe the random guy I was talking to in a bar recently should take your advice instead of telling everyone in sight he was in the recruitment process after a few pints! I'd to tell him to keep it zipped. Seriously, I know its exciting but keep it to yourself. NEVER become complacent - even after several beers. (i'm not saying anyone here has been, just a word of friendly advice from someone who knows!)

I hear it all the time. There is 4 people at my work who talked about it none stop that they were joining. All 4 failed ist, but the people who over heard them may not know that, so they could still be classed as legitimate targets by certain people.
    Only people that know I've applied is my partner and then 2 friends who are already in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

Panic has set in. Thought I had all of my GCSE certificates.... today I Have discovered my Math one is only a 'provisional statement of results'. I know, idiot.

Contacted AQA to ask for replacement certificate they said they don't provide full replacements, only a certifying statement of results which they said is NOT a certificate (cost of almost £45 too? So I'm confused)

PSNI have stated they will only accept certificates. I know my next step is to contact them via the info email....but as my stomach churns, I also turned to here incase anyone else has had the same issue and any help to offer.

Ask them to change your AC to a later date so you have breathing space

Certifying statement of results will be grand I believe, but yea get another date for your AC

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Makepeace80

mwat17 wrote: »
    Panic has set in. Thought I had all of my GCSE certificates.... today I Have discovered my Math one is only a 'provisional statement of results'. I know, idiot.

Contacted AQA to ask for replacement certificate they said they don't provide full replacements, only a certifying statement of results which they said is NOT a certificate (cost of almost £45 too? So I'm confused)

PSNI have stated they will only accept certificates. I know my next step is to contact them via the info email....but as my stomach churns, I also turned to here incase anyone else has had the same issue and any help to offer.

“we will require you to provide us with your original certificates or a final certifying statement of results, for all qualifications that you are presenting, within a maximum of three weeks from your assessment centre date.”

Final certifying statement would be fine, not provisional ....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Divingm

Can I just ask did people go suit for the assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Divingm wrote: »
    Can I just ask did people go suit for the assessment?
    Yeah, out of around 20 people at my AC, only 3 weren’t wearing a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

You want to give a professional image to your assessors. While there are no points for dressing smartly, I think at a subconscious level you're giving out a positive impression toward them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I think only 2 at my a.c. wernt in suits

Advertisement