Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Mike079 wrote: »
    Anyone got advice for a young guy only turned 20 applying this May? Sometimes I feel I am way in over my head going into this career at this age and kind of toying with my mind a lot. Not quite sure what to expect from the recruitment process if I am honest.
    I'm in the same boat, I'm currently 19 but if you feel you have a level of maturity suitable enough for the job and it's the job you really want then you go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

19 years old means you qualify for full pension sooner than most. Early retirement club ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Is it still 30 years service? Haha retiring at 49

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chucky1011

40 years now !

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

19 years old means you qualify for full pension sooner than most. Early retirement club ;)

You still need to work til you're 55. And it's not a 30 or 40 year pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Feeling very old, some of you kids are nearly half my age.

55 still a whole 10 years early

55 still a whole 10 years early

You 55 Bants?

Retirement age is 65 lol

Only 60 in the PSNI if you work up enough pension. :)

• Advertisement

Even better. Cruise time....

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

With the reported number of officers retiring this year I simply cannot see any way in which continuous recruitment can be put on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Found an article from last year in which they were planning on cuts of upto 6%. Does anyone know if this is an additional 3% taking it to 9% in total or is the latest 3% actually a reduction on what they had been expecting to cut?

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2016-08-29/psni-preparing-for-up-to-6-budget-cut/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

With the reported number of officers retiring this year I simply cannot see any way in which continuous recruitment can be put on hold.

I agree it's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule out anything. It's happened before in terms of recruitment being halted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Hopefully no freeze. I am aware of having more officers per citizen in the psni than the likes of in Manchester for example so cuts would be making the psni like the rest of the U.K. However the terror threat is very real here and that has to factored in.

Hopefully this is not affecting the current drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

I honestly think its about saying key words and doing things in the sequence they want. The classes helped me. I was lucky enough to get them free of charge and probably wouldnt have paid not knowing what to expect from them. I feel like they gave me confidence and i went in with a clear plan in my head. I would not have scored as high without them. Also great opportunity to meet people in the same campaign. They do have a high success rate as they dont teach specifics.. they teach transferable skills and make you think abit more about how to approach things. I also felt practising with strangers and getting feedback was invaluable.

Guys just wondering if someone could give me info on what are and how to access these classes? I have never heard of them before. All I've come across are programmes online, IST practice websites etc. I don't personally know any ex or current officers....I have a family member who did serve but several years ago. I have close friends who know officers and said they would ask them for help, but I wouldn't push that sort of contact as the officer doesn't know me! But obviously I'm missing something here! If anyone could enlighten me I'd be grateful.

mwat17 wrote: »
    I honestly think its about saying key words and doing things in the sequence they want. The classes helped me. I was lucky enough to get them free of charge and probably wouldnt have paid not knowing what to expect from them. I feel like they gave me confidence and i went in with a clear plan in my head. I would not have scored as high without them. Also great opportunity to meet people in the same campaign. They do have a high success rate as they dont teach specifics.. they teach transferable skills and make you think abit more about how to approach things. I also felt practising with strangers and getting feedback was invaluable.

Guys just wondering if someone could give me info on what are and how to access these classes? I have never heard of them before. All I've come across are programmes online, IST practice websites etc. I don't personally know any ex or current officers....I have a family member who did serve but several years ago. I have close friends who know officers and said they would ask them for help, but I wouldn't push that sort of contact as the officer doesn't know me! But obviously I'm missing something here! If anyone could enlighten me I'd be grateful.
    Use your family members as contacts they will find tutors. As per security situation we cant give you details on this forum.

Further to the above anyone who knows a tutor do not give their details to anyone on a public forum. If we know about this website the dissidents do as well. If you truly want to get into this line of work start taking personal security seriously. There are people who have no issue with killing police, prison and detention officers either prospective, serving or retired. The threat is very real ladies and gents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

Further to the above anyone who knows a tutor do not give their details to anyone on a public forum. If we know about this website the dissidents do as well. If you truly want to get into this line of work start taking personal security seriously. There are people who have no issue with killing police, prison and detention officers either prospective, serving or retired. The threat is very real ladies and gents.

Well said. I've seen more and more pieces of sensitive information posted on the forums. Be careful folks.

• Advertisement

Knowing several serving officers some of whom are in the "old school". The laissez-faire attitude some newer officers have towards the threat is terrifying.

Put simply, there are people who want to murder you and they dont car eif they kill your kids in the process as long as they get you, its just a matter of time until they start to become effective.

If they come for you you're screwed. So please don't give them a chance.

Supervision? Most jobs have them does the psni? And if so what's the frequency?

How often do you receive mentoring or direction or feedback.

And I can guess you soon get bad feedback if you screw up lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

takodah wrote: »
    Supervision? Most jobs have them does the psni? And if so what's the frequency?

How often do you receive mentoring or direction or feedback.

And I can guess you soon get bad feedback if you screw up lol.

All constables are supervised by a sergeant who reviews all of your active investigation regularly. They're there to keep you right. As a probationer you will meet with your sergeant every 10 weeks or so and complete a review which is recorded on file.

If you do a good job, you'll be told so. If you screw up, you'll know about it! Just always be honest and hold your hands up if you do something wrong, it can always be fixed

Thanks Majgreen. Appreciate it.

Any rumours on when this campaign is opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SN.Nibs

Apparently it's beginning of May now... But they keep pushing it back. If it is, I doubt they will start advertising recruitment opening until mid/end of April...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SN.Nibs

Apparently it's beginning of May now... But they keep pushing it back. If it is, I doubt they will start advertising recruitment opening until mid/end of April...

Still look every day just in case... any credible sources that anyone knows able to shed some light on the date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

https://www.psni.police.uk/news/Latest-News/02022017-chief-constables-report--northern-ireland-policing-board--2-february-2017/

Recruitment

A new recruitment campaign will commence in May 2017. The timeliness of this campaign has been made all the more important by the financial challenges and the anticipated rise in retirements throughout 2017/18.

Following the resumption of training at the Police College, appointments continue to be made from Recruitment Campaign 3 merit pool. It is anticipated that there will be sufficient applicants to make appointments from this merit list for the remainder of 2017. Commencing Recruitment Campaign 4 in May will enable continuous appointments to PSNI, by having a new merit pool in place by December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Timetravel wrote: »
    https://www.psni.police.uk/news/Latest-News/02022017-chief-constables-report--northern-ireland-policing-board--2-february-2017/

Recruitment

A new recruitment campaign will commence in May 2017. The timeliness of this campaign has been made all the more important by the financial challenges and the anticipated rise in retirements throughout 2017/18.

Following the resumption of training at the Police College, appointments continue to be made from Recruitment Campaign 3 merit pool. It is anticipated that there will be sufficient applicants to make appointments from this merit list for the remainder of 2017. Commencing Recruitment Campaign 4 in May will enable continuous appointments to PSNI, by having a new merit pool in place by December.

Excellent Timetravel!

You up for PCA soon too?

Advertisement