Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Up soon, pure buzzing!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Timetravel wrote: »
    Up soon, pure buzzing!

Go smash it!!!

Go smash it!!!

Are you waiting on a call now?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Timetravel wrote: »
    Are you waiting on a call now?

Waiting, extremely impatiently now! Hoping in next round or one after!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

Is recruitment campaign three referring to 1509?

• Advertisement

Is recruitment campaign three referring to 1509?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Divingm

Current serving officer in North Yorkshire and want a transfer so will keep me eyes peeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Divingm wrote: »
    Current serving officer in North Yorkshire and want a transfer so will keep me eyes peeled.

What's the pay like compared to here? As I have considered trying across the pond if unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Divingm

Well I am top pay scale and that's £38,000 so I assume the same but not looked as yet

"Instead, the PSNI intends to make a number of changes to the recruitment process, reducing the timescale from initial selection test to appointment from 12 months to six months."

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/police-in-northern-ireland-produce-plan-to-get-more-catholics-into-force-35596140.html

• Advertisement

"The PSNI is also considering the benefits of introducing an apprenticeship scheme as an alternative entry to the rank of constable."

What's your thoughts? An easier or harder entry ?

takodah wrote: »
    "The PSNI is also considering the benefits of introducing an apprenticeship scheme as an alternative entry to the rank of constable."

If only this was an option when I was 16

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

I wonder how they would carry out an apprenticeship for the PSNI though, would it be through Garnerville? I imagine providing it externally would pose a security risk to apprentices.

If it was carried out in Garnerville how would this differ/ be more beneficial to the current recruitment/training process?

I'd guess the main benefit of an apprenticeship style programme would be the the option to pay trainees far less than the current salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

"A new recruitment drive is to be launched in the Autumn"... pushed back again perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

"A new recruitment drive is to be launched in the Autumn"... pushed back again perhaps?

Still says "New Year" on the join PSNI website, maybe just hasn't been updated yet.

I wonder how they would carry out an apprenticeship for the PSNI though, would it be through Garnerville? I imagine providing it externally would pose a security risk to apprentices.

If it was carried out in Garnerville how would this differ/ be more beneficial to the current recruitment/training process?

I'd guess the main benefit of an apprenticeship style programme would be the the option to pay trainees far less than the current salary.

My guess would be longer processes but pay less as well with an apprentice scheme.
    The 6 month slashed from 12 month turn a round in recruitment will be good for us tho. Multiple chances to get in within a year.
    I think the apprenticeship would be the longer alternative to the normal processes which would go on anyway. But again who knows.
    I'm 25 so taking a longer route is an option but for others it may not be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

In my view it makes sense both logistically and from adminstration point of view will make things a lot easier.

I do feel however the shorter timeframe will lead a lot of people to get in but no make it through probation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

Allowing people to transfer into the PSNI from other Forces, now that would be a good idea! Why has this been overlooked again!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

Allowing people to transfer into the PSNI from other Forces, now that would be a good idea! What has this been overlooked again!
    The amount of people I know who want to transfair back is crazy. If that was extrapolated out UK wide I'm sure you could fill a couple of intakes at GVille no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

"A new recruitment drive is to be launched in the Autumn"

*bashes head against table*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Allowing people to transfer into the PSNI from other Forces, now that would be a good idea! What has this been overlooked again!
    The amount of people I know who want to transfair back is crazy. If that was extrapolated out UK wide I'm sure you could fill a couple of intakes at GVille no problem.

Absolutely, tonnes of us locals doing the job in the mainland crying out to get home. They are missing out on real experience from keen cops.

Absolutely, tonnes of us locals doing the job in the mainland crying out to get home. They are missing out on real experience from keen cops.

At the end of the day there will come a reckoning because the PSNI is at breaking point. The new centralised custody system has a crew who arrest someone out of action for atleast an hour and a half.

"In response to the findings, the initial selection test will be carried out online, so that candidates do not have to physically attend." bbc news.

Online is interesting as it can relieve the nerves for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

We've all been through the IST and seen how strict they are with ID etc...how do they validate that the person taking the test online is who they say they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Ive applied for jobs where you do the online initial part. In those jobs you had to do another one at the next phase to prove it was you who could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Ive applied for jobs where you do the online initial part. In those jobs you had to do another one at the next phase to prove it was you who could do it.

I was thinking that. Surely that would defeat the purpose however of moving it out of the public exam halls? I mean, their stated intention was that they thought that sort of environment was discouraging for catholics? Do you think the questions will be harder than the IST in previous campaigns, given that there is the potential for cheating sitting the tests at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Does anyone have any more information re: next campaign date? I've heard from officers and PSNI staff that it is to be launched in May but this Belfast Telegraph article contradicts that. Is it a mistake perhaps? Can mods confirm?

We've all been through the IST and seen how strict they are with ID etc...how do they validate that the person taking the test online is who they say they are?
    Have you heard of the princec2 exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

The nifrs have went down a similar path of online tests so I would say in all likelyhood the psni will implement dependent on the sucess of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any more information re: next campaign date? I've heard from officers and PSNI staff that it is to be launched in May but this Belfast Telegraph article contradicts that. Is it a mistake perhaps? Can mods confirm?
    The radio also said it would be held in autumn, hopefully its not true but with all these changes happening it's likely

Advertisement