Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion of Compliance with planning permission

• 01-12-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been asked to provide an opinion of compliance with planning permission. I have never done this before and I'm an arch tech with over 10years experience & I have PI Insurance (I am also a member of CIAT); is my qualification recognised by law society to provide such a service?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

It depends on who is looking for the Opinion. The acceptance or rejection of any such document is at the discretion of each individual solicitor according to the Law Society, and up until recently, 10 years in independent private practice was normally enough to satisfy many legal practices. Most of the banks (I believe) are operating on the basis of registered professionals - Architect, Engineer or Building Surveyor - but I'm open to correction on this as it's been a while since I've had to do one. If you're a Chartered Member I'd advise that you check with CIAT for an approved wording for the Opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Supertech wrote: »
    It depends on who is looking for the Opinion. The acceptance or rejection of any such document is at the discretion of each individual solicitor according to the Law Society, and up until recently, 10 years in independent private practice was normally enough to satisfy many legal practices. Most of the banks (I believe) are operating on the basis of registered professionals - Architect, Engineer or Building Surveyor - but I'm open to correction on this as it's been a while since I've had to do one. If you're a Chartered Member I'd advise that you check with CIAT for an approved wording for the Opinion.

its a bit of a mess when it comes to the banks
    some use the 'assigned certifier' restriction (BOI, Permenent TSB) though TSB can be relaxed if the point is forced with them.

AIB use something more along the lines of what existed before ie usual chartered membership, but also include CIAT in it AND those in private practise over 10 years.

sub prime lenders have a similar range, depending on who they are linked to.

at the end of the day, you can make your argument to the banks solicitors for acceptance and its up to them to decide.

sorry BJ , i was doing the above from memory, but ive checked and its slightly different

AIB accept:
    RIAI, IEI, ACEI, SCSI, CIOB, CIAT, IBCI, and ABE

BOI accept:
    persons on register of architects
    persons in practise as architect or engineer on their own account for min 10 years
    qualified engineers
    qualified building surveyors
    persons within EU entitled to call themselves architects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sorry BJ , i was doing the above from memory, but ive checked and its slightly different

AIB accept:
    RIAI, IEI, ACEI, SCSI, CIOB, CIAT, IBCI, and ABE

BOI accept:
    persons on register of architects
    persons in practise as architect or engineer on their own account for min 10 years
    qualified engineers
    qualified building surveyors
    persons within EU entitled to call themselves architects

so I could get someone from Poland to certify it?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    so I could get someone from Poland to certify it?

if they hold PI insurance to certify within ireland, why not?? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement