Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biochem

Options
  • 02-12-2016 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi I'm currently in 5th year and thinking about my CAO next year already.At the moment think my course of preference would be Biochem in UCC,I do chemistry&biology and love them and have a flair for them.I see myself having a career in a science/medical area but wondering what kind of jobs and careers come out of this degree?!Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

boy1234 wrote: »
    Hi I'm currently in 5th year and thinking about my CAO next year already.At the moment think my course of preference would be Biochem in UCC,I do chemistry&biology and love them and have a flair for them.I see myself having a career in a science/medical area but wondering what kind of jobs and careers come out of this degree?!Thanks.

While I didn't do that degree, I know many people who have Biochemistry degrees that now work in the biopharmaceutical area and in the food sector. Others I know of have also gone on and done PhDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 boy1234

Do you know of the quality of jobs?Is there good employment rates post grad?Salary?Promotion opportunities etc?Thanks for response.

Do you know of the quality of jobs?Is there good employment rates post grad?Salary?Promotion opportunities etc?Thanks for response.

I know someone who is out of college 4 years now who did biochem. She currently works as a biotechnician and is in charge of a bioreactor in a pharmaceutical company. She is currently working for this company for 3 years and is on €50k+ a year, and is just below a managerial position currently.

I myself am doing a Masters atm, but have my employment secured for September 2017 in a biopharm company and will be on €38k as part of a graduate programme (though this takes into account my masters/higher level of education).

What course/masters did you do/are you doing??Very interested in a career in a Bio or Chemical background but not quite sure doing what yet.Seems like a good area though with good job opportunities and good chance at promotion.Thanks for all this help,very informative.

What course/masters did you do/are you doing??Very interested in a career in a Bio or Chemical background but not quite sure doing what yet.Seems like a good area though with good job opportunities and good chance at promotion.Thanks for all this help,very informative.

My undergrad was science teaching and my masters is in molecular cell bio (http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr44/). Its an industry that is currently booming in Ireland, with a load of biopharameutical companies in Ringaskiddy. Though don't think you're just restricted to biopharm. I know someone who is doing lab testing in Waterford for a company which people outsource their experiemnts/testing to. My best advice is to email course directors to try get a feel for the course, and try to pick a course that will also give you placement/work experience as this will be to your advantage once you begin looking for jobs.

• Advertisement

Think if I had to go for a course at the minute I'd pick BioChem as it's broad and you get a taste of everything but I'd definitely look into emailing people to find out more information.Thanks again.

Would love to do Pharmacy/Medicine,but points are just too high so looking at BioChem/Biomedical Science/Genetics/Chemistry of Pharmaceutical Compounds,all those type of courses

Would love to do Pharmacy/Medicine,but points are just too high so looking at BioChem/Biomedical Science/Genetics/Chemistry of Pharmaceutical Compounds,all those type of courses

If you do seriously want to go into biomedical science, I strongly advise you go to an IT for it and do your research. For example, my sister did medical science in GMIT and could go straight into working in a hospital lab. Two of my friends did biomedical science, one in NUIG the other in NUIM. Both of these people are now required to do an additional add on course in DIT/CIT/WIT before they are accredited to work in a hospital lab. A lot of people think that IT's aren't half as prestigous or that the degree isn't worth as much as a university degree, and that opinion is absolute bullsh1t. So if biomedical is what you want to persue, definitely ask course directors whether you can work in a hospital straight afterwards.

In relation to genetics, I have two friends who recently graduated from the course. You only really do human genetics in 3rd and 4th year, the rest is just general biology sort of stuff. Though I do know that the course is now introducing a work placement programme to give you a bit of experience.

Definitely make sure you go to open days next year, and be open minded about the course/college you want to go to as well. Don't be like me and spend 4 years doing a course you discovered you actually didn't want to do :)

Advertisement