Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warning pm from mod

Options
  • 02-12-2016 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As an avid follower of the dispute resolution forum, I've noticed a time sink in your procedure.

The standard warning pm seems to automatically state if you want to dispute the warning/ban, start a thread in DR..

So off the user goes, and starts their thread.
    A while later, cmod/admins first post will be 'please indicate that as per the procedure outlined above, you have engaged with the banning mod'....
    User then comes back to say, 'pm sent me here, but OK, I'll give it a go'.

Probably two days of wasted time.
    So two things from this,
    1. The mod could indicate wether they're interested in engaging with the user in the mod note section of the banning pm or
    2. Make the DR process flow chart visible on all versions of the site.

Cheers,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They are fair points to consider. Lots of posters either don't see the DRF flowchart, or simply don't pay attention to it.

I'll start a discussion with HQ on this one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is an element of inconsistency as the standard "warning" PM simply has a link to the relevant section of the site FAQs with no reference to the DRF.

The standard "infraction" and "ban" messages actually provide a link to the DRF and in particular the flowchart at the head of the DRF, as follows:
    If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.
    ie it states the link is to explain how to appeal, not to actually start an appeal. The flowchart then indicates the first step is to try and resolve it via PM with the relevant moderator

Maybe a standalone "box" with that flowchart is the answer rather than a redirect to the Dispute Resolution Forum itself

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The flowchart isn't even visible on the touch site.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the automatic PMs need to be overhauled. All automatic warning, infraction and ban PMs should tell the user to reply to the PM and have a link to Dispute Resolution in the event the PM discussion is unsuccessful.

Not the current situation of linking someone away from the simple 'Reply' button to a new forum and then again in three different directions:

1. Desktop site: expect them to read the flowchart or the charter.
    2. Touch site: expect them to read the charter since there's no flowchart.
    3. Responsive site: expect them to see the 'important threads' tab on the right hand side. Then, expect them to read the charter.

Assuming they've done that — and let's face it, a lot of users aren't doing that —, they're now expected to go back to the PM and respond to it.

:confused:

"To appeal this ban/warning/infraction, reply to this message. If you're not satisfied with the result of the appeal, go to [link] and follow the guidelines. State that you've unsuccessfully appealed this warning/infraction/ban to the moderator."

If they even read the first sentence of that then they're already better off than being sent on a wild goose chase between Private Messages and Dispute Resolution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement