Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

braun thermascan digital thermometer

Options
  • 02-12-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Bought this 2 years ago at the mean cost of about E40/50. Not cheap. Have had to replace the battery for the first time but since replacing the battery, it's been acting up and can't seem to get it back working. It beeps continuously. There is nothing in the manual to explain. There was no special method to change battery- looked it up before doing this. It's more than a bit annoying as they are E50 new now in the same shop- albeit a different model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The user manual gives a help line phone number - probably best to give them a ring.

1 800 509 448

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Did you try emailing Braun? I had similar with a Brother thermometer acting up, it was maybe 3 years after I bought it but when I emailed them and just asked for advice on fixing it or what my options were they straight away offered to send a new one. I'd try manufacturer direct rather than the shop you bought from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

ssmith6287 wrote: »

Ok so I rang the Irl helpline to be told it does not work in "my region" . Like WTF already?!

(thermometer beeping away here.... :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ssmith6287 wrote: »

is it the one shown in this link? is the battery a 1.5V since rechargeables are usaully 1.2V and some devices need 1.5V, and can think a 1.2V is low in power. Also is the battery confirmed brand new, many poundshop ones are crap, even if it says its duracell.

That guide says to press and hold the button for 8 seconds to change from F to C, try doing that, a long press and hold can sort of reset many devices.

And I presume the battery is in the correct way, some can detect it is in wrong and start beeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Take it back to the store you bought it in. The Manufacturer doesn't come into play. Your contract is with the store of purchase. Ask them what they're going to do about the faulty item you purchased from them :)

rubadub wrote: »
    is it the one shown in this link? is the battery a 1.5V since rechargeables are usaully 1.2V and some devices need 1.5V, and can think a 1.2V is low in power. Also is the battery confirmed brand new, many poundshop ones are crap, even if it says its duracell.

That guide says to press and hold the button for 8 seconds to change from F to C, try doing that, a long press and hold can sort of reset many devices.

And I presume the battery is in the correct way, some can detect it is in wrong and start beeping.

will give it a go.

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Take it back to the store you bought it in. The Manufacturer doesn't come into play. Your contract is with the store of purchase. Ask them what they're going to do about the faulty item you purchased from them :)

2 yrs later, wouldn't fancy my chances..

rubadub wrote: »

Thanks, this is a different model to mine. Battery is one of those flat penny like ones.

anyone know why the helpline doesn't work??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 1800 number? They're national only so if its UK it wont work from the ROI.

Are you using crappy or rechargeable batteries? Any metering equipment can be sensitive to lower voltages. An Alkaline (Non rechargeable) has a nominal voltage of 1.5V, the same in NiMH(Rechargeable) is 1.2v. A remote control say won't care. A thermometer may well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Button/coin cells are rarely rechargeable. I would ensure its a decent brand - and new, not old stock lying around a shop or from a card of 50 for a quid from a pound shop. Also check the chemical type matches (this is the first two letters before the number, from memory)

A 1800 number is Irish - UK uses 0800 - but if its not working they have likely disconnected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Are you calling from a mobile phone?

Try calling from a land line, sometimes 1800 numbers can't be called from a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Do you know the model, there seem to be lots. I had a quick search for the generic name and beeping and found lots of sites discussing it. Some saying some optical thing had to be in place. If you use quotes while searching google it helps a lot, like search "beeping" "braun thermascan", it forces them to find that phrase in quotes.

Are you sure the batteries are in the correct way, coin ones are easily put in upside down. Usually when putting them in the named size is facing you so you can still read the writing on it. Not a 100% rule though.

SKU041501.3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

L1011 wrote: »
    Button/coin cells are rarely rechargeable.

From the manual linked above...
    The thermometer is supplied
    with one 1.5 V type AAA (LR03).
    For best performance, we
    recommend Duracell® alkaline
    batteries. Insert new battery
    when the battery symbol
    appears on the display

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ED E wrote: »
    From the manual linked above...

From the rest of the thread, we know that's not the right model and the OP has specifically stated it's a coin cell!

ED E wrote: »
    The 1800 number? They're national only so if its UK it wont work from the ROI.

Are you using crappy or rechargeable batteries? Any metering equipment can be sensitive to lower voltages. An Alkaline (Non rechargeable) has a nominal voltage of 1.5V, the same in NiMH(Rechargeable) is 1.2v. A remote control say won't care. A thermometer may well.[/quote

Not rechargeable. It's Panasonic, bought in Sam Mccauleys who I'd have thought would have genuine batteries. ]

Advertisement