Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Interactive Touch Screen Calendar

Options
  • 02-12-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this as I am not a regular to the technology section, so forgive me if I have posted wrong.

I am wondering if it is possible to get a digital interactive/touch screen (wall mountable) calendar??....

I am a farmer, but I also have a full time job and a few other things going on that I want to try to organise.
    As I am working full time I need to have a good planning and organisation of what needs doing on the farm. So I want to start a calendar to hold me accountable.
    Basically, what I am looking for is a calendar (large screen) that I can input target dates to have accomplished something, such as "all paddocks closed off" on the 1st of April or "silage fertiliser out" on the 20th of February.
    The old saying, "what gets measured, gets cut".

I did Google this, but a lot of these seem to think that it is necessary to link this calendar to your phone calendar and update it through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. But ideally, I would prefer if I could access it through the main screen, alter it as needed using an onscreen keyboard.

Additionally, I was hoping that I could 'stick' the target to a date so it would carry over to the following year without having to input it again (but I could alter it to change to another date if needs arise).
    If it was possible to have a screensaver that disappeared to show the calendar at a touch but a password to alter information would be perfect.

Maybe a tablet/phone that can link this info to a large screen in the office or kitchen is my option???

I would appreciate any advise from those knowledgeable in the area!

Many thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to ask why would you not just use the calendar on your phone or use something like https://en.todoist.com/.

If your only access to the information is at home, it is very hard to make ad-hoc changes when they need to be changed. A shared calendar that can also be accessed by another device in your kitchen would be a better option.

You also get the advantage of online backup this way. Having all that information on just one unconnected device would be madness. Something happens to the devise and you would lose everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatyoman

Hi justsomebloke Thanks for the reply.

Is that todoist more of a short term planner?

I'm not really that clued in with technology. I can see your point 100% about changing on the go and loosing the information. My phone isn't that great to be honest, that's why I wasn't wanting to rely on it all that much.

Would you have any idea of what sort of devices I would need to organise this kind of a management approach? I will try to change my phone to a better phone.

If you were to go about organising this, how or what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As stupid as it sounds I would almost recommend a 10 inch cheap android tablet and use its calender or special app for your needs, then just stick that thing on the wall, maybe not with nails though.

What is the phone coverage like in the different places you work? Also what phone do you have and what other devices do you have? Computers, laptops, tablets, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatyoman

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replies. Well I get the idea of using a cheap tablet, but as justsomebloke mentioned, if I wanted to make changes on the go (out in the field or whatever) I could make the change on my phone.. which would seem better than trying to remember it long enough to get back home and input it into the tablet. Plus, my idea was to get a fairly large, easier to read screen, like 20 - 30" (if possible, maybe not).

Phone coverage would be good enough (I'm on Vodafone, which has rarely ever let me down to be fair to them). I have a basic Nokia, (its not a Lumia, its the predecessor- technically it is a smart phone, but, I would argue with that!!!:) )
    But have been thinking about upgrading the phone now if it would benefit me in terms of organisation.

Have a laptop and a tablet. They are all pretty up to date - Toshiba laptop and a Samsung tablet.
    Is that info of any use?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Ideally you'd have an app on your phone which syncs the changes to your tablet at home which uses the same app.

What I'd do is go on the app store on your phone and install anything that calls itself a planner or calander, enter test dates and see what fits your use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Google calendar? It'll sync all your devices automatically and it has a decent interface.

Ye, get yourself an android phone and use google calendar and google drive (unless you need the extra functionality of something like todolist or smart sheet if you need project management and gantt functionality).

You will be able then sync your calendar between your 3 devices and work on it on which ever device suits you at the time. A much more practical approach then trying to get a large touchscreen display setup. It's more practical to use some spare time during the day to look and modify your calendar, or doing it on the couch then only doing it on a calendar in your kitchen.

Then use google drive to have access and work on all your documents on the go. It's ability to use your phone's camera to scan documents will also become invaluable to you.

Advertisement