Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the movie analogy is appropriate.

I mean some people could label Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker as boring. But in the same breath you could also call it a gorgeously filmed, fascinating masterpiece.

I'm all for games stepping out of the conventions that videogames seem to have to follow and becoming more interactive media than videogames. The world needs more games like this, elctroplankton, noby noby boy, etc. that challenge those conventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Critics seem to be rating this as if it's a movie, as opposed to you know an actual game.
    If the core game-play is **** then rate it accordingly.
    Some of the synopsis I am reading is mind boggling

Just one of many reviews;

"Death Stranding is a very weird game that amazes us with its narrative, complex lore and atmosphere, but falls short of expectations with it's wacky rhythm and it's dull gameplay."

Score - 90/100

Must have been expecting to give it 100/100 so and knocked 10 points for dull gameplay.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm all for games stepping out of the conventions that videogames seem to have to follow and becoming more interactive media than videogames. The world needs more games like this, elctroplankton, noby noby boy, etc. that challenge those conventions.
    What conventions are being challenged? It's 40+ hours of fetch quests in an open world.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What conventions are being challenged? It's 40+ hours of fetch quests in an open world.

Did you not see the footage where the main character took a piss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I found the negative IGN review pretty funny.

"The start was boring because I didn't have a gun so couldn't shoot stuff.
    Then I did get a gun and could shoot stuff, that bit was good.
    But then I had to go up a mountain and there was nothing to shoot, that was boring"

Made me want to play it more.

I play the Outer Worlds for the conversation and humor, big decisions, and decent gameplay mechanics. You can get into that world in an hour. I really appreciate that they allow encumberence to be a non-issue if you're my type of player who will invest perk points to be weaker overall but not have to deal too much with inventory. Was it Resident Evil who made you arrange everything to fit? Awful.

I can't deal with this idea that you have to build your backpack with menus and literal height and balance in mind, and then also balance it all the way while walking. People are talking about this game like it will be a nice experience, as if they won't be entirely active on controlling it while traversing. Oblivion was great for that.. You could have any drug under the sun and enjoy roaming around at 5am.

Death Stranding for me takes everything I hate about open world RPGs and makes them the game. Perhaps I will be shown to be wrong, but it's not looking likely from gameplay footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was listening to a bit of the KF gamescast on this. Wide range of views. Greg Miller loved it. Imran Khan (formally of Game Informer) found it very boring.

I have long since thought this looked rubbish as a game, and had no interest in it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the movie analogy is appropriate.

I mean some people could label Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker as boring. But in the same breath you could also call it a gorgeously filmed, fascinating masterpiece.

This would be more applicable if the game was condensed. Would work better over a short experience like a 10 hour campaign.
    Not 70+ hours of quite literally the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This would be more applicable if the game was condensed. Would work better over a short experience like a 10 hour campaign.
    Not 70+ hours of quite literally the same thing over and over.

It's not. The first 2 or so hours you have to walk as it shows you how to play. At this point it's hard to get across rivers, so you figure out you need to bring ladders to get across. You can't get down cliffs so you bring ropes.

You do unlock an ecto skeleton that lets you carry more and move faster. Then you get a battery and can start to use the bikes to get around faster, then you can get a truck, then you build a road network so you don't need to cross rocky terrain as much.

As you enter an area you are alone, once you connect it to tge network you share it with others and you all work to help each other out with the infrastructure.

Later again you build a floating carrier that you can load up and carry to locations that are hard to drive to. You can hop on this and snowboard down hills, it's great.

Every time you think something is about to outstay its welcome he adds something new to work on or help you.

The inventory menu is intimidating but again he has made it really well. You can auto stack everything in its optimal stack by just hitting triangle. You can select multiple items by just holding in the button and scrolling. It gets really easy to use. There isn't much pissing about.

It reminds me a bit of journey in how it makes you want to help people.

It's just a really well made, very unique game that works on so many levels.

• Advertisement

I play for around 4 hours a week so I don't think complex inventories, logistics, and gameplay mechanics are for me.
    I like easy escapism and shooting things in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have a 60 quid voucher for a game and i was planning on getting easy going need for speed on Friday but I'm leaning towards this now just from Grumpy's post above. Sounds so intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You just want to experience it and resell it while the price is relatively high. :) The price on this thing is going to plummet real quick or I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I'm excited by it, look forward to playing it. And the new bring me the horizon song too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

kojima must have the most pathetic neck beard arse licking fans of anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I think i'll be picking up my pre-order on friday and walking straight to CEX.
    Too many good games to be playing at the moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sweetie wrote: »
    I think i'll be picking up my pre-order on friday and walking straight to CEX.
    Too many good games to be playing at the moment.

Why are you still buying it if you're going to trade it in straight away?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why are you still buying it if you're going to trade it in straight away?

I preordered it ages ago on that Gamestop deal for an old game plus twenty quid but it sounds like too much work now. Happy to sell it to someone here either though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

sweetie wrote: »
    I preordered it ages ago on that Gamestop deal for an old game plus twenty quid but it sounds like too much work now. Happy to sell it to someone here either though....

You'll be able to get store credit instead

But that's not what he said...

Absolutely, have no idea where those quotes are plucked from but it ain't the below

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am getting really tempted to buy this... Problem is I don't have a PS4. But see them going for 300 euro. So 360 euro all in for console and game.
    Not to mention Detroit Become Human for 35 euro and Uncharted 4 for 20 euro.

Oh. So. Tempting.

**edit**
    God of war only 20 euro now too!?

**edit edit**
    Until dawn, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Ratchet and Clank 20 euro too. You PS4 players are spoilt for choice :pac: lol

JimBurnley wrote: »
    You'll be able to get store credit instead

I guess I could move it to another game but already have Cyberpunk, Nioh 2, Last of us 2 preordered with them. How far out is Metroid prime 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Am getting really tempted to buy this... Problem is I don't have a PS4. But see them going for 300 euro. So 360 euro all in for console and game.
    Not to mention Detroit Become Human for 35 euro and Uncharted 4 for 20 euro.

Oh. So. Tempting.

**edit**
    God of war only 20 euro now too!?

I've heard rumours there's a PS4 bundle coming to North America in November with God of War, Horizon and Uncharted 4. Don't know if same is going to be released over here though, or cost of same if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Penn wrote: »
    I've heard rumours there's a PS4 bundle coming to North America in November with God of War, Horizon and Uncharted 4. Don't know if same is going to be released over here though, or cost of same if it is.
    That appears to be the US-version of the bundle already available in Asia which would be a decent indication it'll make its way to Europe too. If so and if it makes it over at a similar price point, it'd be the perfect entry point into the PS4 eco-system.

This Wario64 thread has more details...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1187407599198539776

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have a 60 quid voucher for a game and i was planning on getting easy going need for speed on Friday but I'm leaning towards this now just from Grumpy's post above. Sounds so intriguing.

Imagine MGSV, set in the Horizon Zero Dawn landscape, with Days Gone levels of exploring. And where you can make poop grenades to throw at ghosts. And it's not a million miles away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Imagine MGSV, set in the Horizon Zero Dawn landscape, with Days Gone levels of exploring. And where you can make poop grenades to throw at ghosts. And it's not a million miles away :pac:

That's the type of review I've been waiting for. Now I'm excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Absolutely, have no idea where those quotes are plucked from but it ain't the below

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review

I was paraphrasing.

At around 4 minutes he was criticising the tense gameplay where you have to avoid BTs because you're defenseless, then he praises the action when you get a chance to fight them.

Then after that, he talks about how good it is around 10 hours in to unlock a bunch of guns and do more combat, before he returns to complaining when the gam gets to the next non-combat bit a little further on. He used the phrase "it was nice to do combat to add a sense of play", like shooting things in the face is the only concept of "play" that he can understand.

I probably find it funny in contrast to the Kotaku review, that came from a reviewer who was more interested in the experience and less interested in combat and described the bits that IGN hated as the best part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cheers for the Gizmo.
    How much is the bundle overseas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Sold

• Advertisement
Advertisement