Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

40/40 from Famitsu now, first game in a couple of years to get that. Hype is building.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

quokula wrote: »
    40/40 from Famitsu now, first game in a couple of years to get that. Hype is building.

Also gave MGS 4 40/40 .......so.......yeah......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Famitsu reviews can't be trusted. They take money for good reviews. Editor is also very good friends with Kojima.

That's not tin foil hat conspiracy stuff. Famitsu won't even hide it. They came right out and said it during a controversy a few years ago.

That controversy? The editor of famitsu appeared in an advert for peace walker and it just so happened to get 40/40.

At least they are honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

1279601.png

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Anything Famitsu related should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

As has been said they seem pretty easily bought, and there was even claims made at one point that game publishers were writing their own articles for their games rather than Famitsu writers (though this was years ago and remains unconfirmed as far as I understand).

The Peace Walker debacle says it all really.

• Advertisement

Peace Walker is awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think it was the e3 2018 trailer that first showed the gameplay trailer of Sam hiking around with a box on his back. I remember watching it thinking wtf is this rural delivery boy game but i then found myself being the most interested in the game since it was announced. The graphics, the music and there was something very relaxing about the hiking that made me want to play it.

The only thing really putting me off is the 70-100 hours it will take. Seems way too long.

RE the only thing putting you off... I'd imagine people would be pissed off if it was 20 - 30 hours. The length of the game ('value for money') must surely be something in its favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Famitsu reviews can't be trusted. They take money for good reviews. Editor is also very good friends with Kojima.

That's not tin foil hat conspiracy stuff. Famitsu won't even hide it. They came right out and said it during a controversy a few years ago.

That controversy? The editor of famitsu appeared in an advert for peace walker and it just so happened to get 40/40.

At least they are honest about it.

Peace Walker is arguably the best Metal Gear game I've ever played.

Wholly deserves a 9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I agree. But the fact Famitsu just said 'Yeah, we a magazine that promotes products rather than reviews them and we take promotions for reviews' was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

noodler wrote: »
    Peace Walker is arguably the best Metal Gear game I've ever played.

Wholly deserves a 9/10

The official (according to me) MGS rankings...

MGS3

MGS1
    MGS Peace Walker
    MGS 2

MGS4

MGS5

• Advertisement

You forgot Ghost Babel, aka the secret best Metal Gear game.

J. Marston wrote: »
    The official (according to me) MGS rankings...

MGS3

MGS1
    MGS Peace Walker
    MGS 2

MGS4

MGS5

At risk of detailing thread, V was alot better than IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

If Famitsu are selling top review scores, they really need to work on their sales pitch as this is only the fourth one in 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Out. Get out.

MGSV was better than IV because V was fun. MGSIV is anti-fun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGSV was better than IV because V was fun. MGSIV is anti-fun

Least 4 had a story :pac:

... nanomachines... everywhere! :pac:

Well it had a story.... and that's exhausted all the good stuff I can say about it.

It was so bad that I prefer the lack of story in MGSV as it actually let you do fun stuff. MGS4 was god awful and too long cutscene with 2 minutes of not fun gameplay inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agreed above, V felt like it had its ending ripped out and then i saw the video of the cut last chapter and was like aaaahhhh there it is, ****ing shocking. But i thought the gameplay of V was brilliant. Pick a drop point and a companion, listening to some beautiful humming and then take out a camp and try meet all objectives. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to agree. Both are flawed games in different ways, but the core gameplay in MGSV was fantastic, and many of the story beats were great (Shining Lights mission in particular). The pared-back story was a benefit in a lot of ways too. I like MGS4 a lot, but I'd definitely put MGSV above it.

For me (haven't played Peace Walker):
    MGS3
    MGS1
    MGS5
    MGS2
    MGS4

Bull**** Game-play in MGS4 is brilliant.

When you find it!

• Advertisement

Bull**** Game-play in MGS4 is brilliant.

When you find it!

I agree, I really enjoyed the gameplay, especially the variety of weapons and tools you could get as you progressed. The Octocamo was great too. But pretty much all of it was improved upon with MGSV imo.

The first two chapters were good but they are absolutely tiny when you consider how much actual game there was. Felt the game was a step backwards from 3 as well. Octocamo was a nice way to streamline the camo from 4 but other than that there were a lot less options to the player compared to 3. And the massive amount of guns at the expense of fun gadgets baffled me as if you play the game properly you won't be using most of the guns. Then there was the faction system that just plain didn't work and the awful boss battles.

And worse yet it put me off trying the fantastic Peace Walker for months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Not to derail the MGS love/hate fest, Death Stranding is ready for pre download. 48GB.

The gadget list is longer than that of MGS3.
    And the ones in MGS3 bar the death and sleep pills are all included.
    If you chose to use guns that was the choice of the player. Same as MGS3.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Not to derail the MGS love/hate fest, Death Stranding is ready for pre download. 48GB.

Can probably move some of the off-topic posts to the Heated Gaming thread :D:pac:

Penn wrote: »
    Have to agree. Both are flawed games in different ways, but the core gameplay in MGSV was fantastic, and many of the story beats were great (Shining Lights mission in particular). The pared-back story was a benefit in a lot of ways too. I like MGS4 a lot, but I'd definitely put MGSV above it.

For me (haven't played Peace Walker):
    MGS3
    MGS1
    MGS5
    MGS2
    MGS4

Yeah, the few isolated story beats there were were great.

Yeah, the few isolated story beats there were were great.

And while I was skeptical at first, going with Kiefer Sutherland was a great move. It meant they did have to reduce the dialogue a lot, making for tighter scripts and making the dialogue more effective. Hayter was iconic in the role, but when you see what Kiefer did with some of the scenes, there's no way Hayter could have come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

All this has got me wanting to dive back into MGS. But I'm gonna be busy delivering boxes for the next while...

JimBurnley wrote: »
    All this has got me wanting to dive back into MGS. But I'm gonna be busy delivering boxes for the next while...

Ha, reminiscing about MGS is making me want to get Death Stranding :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement