Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's always Metal Gear Survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's always Metal Gear Survive?

There's never Metal Gear Survive...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    There's never Metal Gear Survive...

Played the beta, what an absolute mess.

Getting back to DS, interesting setting shows that other people can spoil the story with their signs. No idea how. Grumpy, did you see signs that were spoilers?

6s16hlfx42x31.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's kinda funny and good thinking ahead, in fairness.

Kojima talking about wanting to build connections between people but knowing full well that Xx_R0d3URMA_xX will spoil the game for people given the chance.

• Advertisement

Absolutely but I'd love to know what content the signs can show. Like is it a sequence of emojis that someone display a message that "BB=BigBoss clone". And if you turn it off, what might you be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Absolutely but I'd love to know what content the signs can show. Like is it a sequence of emojis that someone display a message that "BB=BigBoss clone". And if you turn it off, what might you be missing.

Yeah I'd wonder how it can determine which signs are spoilers or not

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Penn wrote: »
    And while I was skeptical at first, going with Kiefer Sutherland was a great move. It meant they did have to reduce the dialogue a lot, making for tighter scripts and making the dialogue more effective. Hayter was iconic in the role, but when you see what Kiefer did with some of the scenes, there's no way Hayter could have come close.

Hmmm...I loved the few lines he did but I have to say it mainly worked in my head because of what we find out at the end of the game.

https://youtu.be/rjDAxXj9H8k

Challenge anyone to say Hatter wasn't great in that PW ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Never underestimate player's ability to be dicks :)

The signs are limited to a few preset ones. They serve as help or a warning, so I guess you could get a warning sign that says ghosts ahead and then you don't get that shock. Or ones that say go this way, climb up here that could maybe be a spoiler but it's kinda the idea of the game.

I generally built ones that say Shelter/ladder/rope -->, then have a few more arrows that will bring you to a cave or ladder or bridge etc.

I guess they could get a bit annoying once the player base gets in there and starts spamming them with fake news ! so you might want to just turn them off.

Thanks! Ah basically Dark Souls so and yes, can only imagine the 'leap of faith' type messages getting you to jump off a cliff. I think in a game this long, I'd be keeping them on and following advice to find things that help. Sounds like what Kojima wants as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

It's starting to download now! Not sure if I' even excited about it any more though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

So they opened the case, inside was the limited edition Death Stranding PS4 pro and controller, the game, Sony wireless noise cancelling headphones, Cupid necklace that Sam wears in-game and usb with soundtrack on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Demios wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m not sure if it’s been asked already but has anyone heard about midnight launches for it around the country?

Might not have the casual gamer audience to justify it but it is a Kojima game so I wasn’t sure if there would be openings.

Thanks

Is that still a thing nowadays midnight launches ?
    Especially now with digital giving instant access

The only thing I can imagine will have a huge impact that would have a midnight launch would be GTA6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It reminds me a bit of journey in how it makes you want to help people.

Excellent! Thank you. I've been waiting for someone to give us an idea of what it's like, and now having read that, I know wholeheartedly that it's not for me!

If the game can't be completed without the help of other players, it's badly designed imo.
    So they opened the case, inside was the limited edition Death Stranding PS4 pro and controller, the game, Sony wireless noise cancelling headphones, Cupid necklace that Sam wears in-game and usb with soundtrack on it.

And the rich continue to get everything for free!

Excellent! Thank you. I've been waiting for someone to give us an idea of what it's like, and now having read that, I know wholeheartedly that it's not for me!

If the game can't be completed without the help of other players, it's badly designed imo.

And the rich continue to get everything for free!

I'd say absolutely can be completed with no signs but if I'm looking at a very long game, I'd definitely accept a short cut/hint to cut down on some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Free shít. Now say the game is amazing.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Free shít. Now say the game is amazing.

I'd love to think they'd donate them to a kids hospital or hold a competition to give them to fans. Saying that, if i was a super cool 'influencer', I'd be keeping all that free **** :)

Slightly OT, but I'm edging ever closer and closer to finally making a game, and obviously I'm thinking years into the future when I'm rich and popular, but I wouldn't send free games to anyone but end-user fans. I'd offer special editions specifically for reviewers to purchase, not available to the general public, but I think this gifting lark is wrong, because there's an expectation to give a good review then. If anyone wants to post a TL;DR version of the reviews from those 4, i'd like to see what they say (but not enough to bother checking myself). If anything, these 'personalities' can afford to buy it more than anyone else.

I'm not sure if they are actual reviewers?? Just influencers so people with a ton of followers who hang on their every word. So instead of a biased review, they would just create a video about 'you won't believe what i just got??!!" Fans see it and also want what they have. I think that's how it works.

Apologies if i get that wrong about any of them.

Best of luck with the game Potential!

I'm not sure myself either, and absolutely no problem if that's all it is, free advertising. My problem is if said personalities then started to tell people to buy the game because of x, y and z, even if x, y and z are lies/incorrect. Maybe I'm getting that wrong, i'm not all up to date with streamers and their carry on.

Oh it's a far, far way away from anything, need to learn how to make a game first! :pac: :D Curently trying to figure out which engine/program to use, but before I can do that I need to settle on a style, which I think will be 2D side scrolling. Would love to use the same engine as Dust, but I think that's an in-house MS one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

"influencers" are reviewers now and can kill or make anything.

OT 100% srsly needs its own thread fair few people on here live off the word of some sap on youtube.

100% OT tho, best of luck with the game.

I'm not sure myself either, and absolutely no problem if that's all it is, free advertising. My problem is if said personalities then started to tell people to buy the game because of x, y and z, even if x, y and z are lies/incorrect. Maybe I'm getting that wrong, i'm not all up to date with streamers and their carry on.

Oh it's a far, far way away from anything, need to learn how to make a game first! :pac: :D Curently trying to figure out which engine/program to use, but before I can do that I need to settle on a style, which I think will be 2D side scrolling. Would love to use the same engine as Dust, but I think that's an in-house MS one.

Pearce and Septiceye would be the two main gamer influencers, the other two are more actors who are also gamers. I think the whole point was to get the community together to solve a puzzle and just generate some extra buzz. Alanah does the occasional stream on her own Youtube channel along with content on Funhaus and I’ve never seen her outright tell people to buy a specific game.

In relation to developing a game, take a look at Unity engine

For those planning to get this digital and have a US or Canadian PSN it actually works out at around 56 euro. Getting a bit tempted myself but not sure if I’m better off waiting for Jedi Fallen Order next week instead

For those planning to get this digital and have a US or Canadian PSN it actually works out at around 56 euro. Getting a bit tempted myself but not sure if I’m better off waiting for Jedi Fallen Order next week instead

Definitely going physical to trade in for either need for speed or Jedi if it doesn't turn out to be my cuppa tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm not sure if they are actual reviewers?? Just influencers so people with a ton of followers who hang on their every word. So instead of a biased review, they would just create a video about 'you won't believe what i just got??!!" Fans see it and also want what they have. I think that's how it works.

Apologies if i get that wrong about any of them.

Yeah influencers are in no way reputable reviewers in the way gaming websites and magazines are (or should be)

A few hundred quids worth of freebies is really nothing compared to their normal fees for talking about products. Top influencers don’t talk about anything for free.

I’ve worked with companies trying to get products in the hands of influencers and these sort of gimmicks are a common way to try and get them talking about something far more cheaply than their usual fees.

I’d never trust a word one of these people says about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sony doing a cool thing at the moment on Instagram . Alanah Pearce, Jacksepticeye, Ron Funches and Janina Gavankar were each sent locked Death Stranding cases and need to work together with the public to unlock them.

Alanah Pearce
    Jacksepticeye
    Ron Funches

That's probably far more exciting and entertaining than the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

!

That's not true. 1. This can be played offline so the help is never needed. 2. If you make a game that makes gamers want to be nice then it's a genius design.

Good luck with your future game, i'd love to see in a few years how trying to make a game shapes how you look at and really appreciate games. Others look at this and says it's a boring walking sim. I look at it and wonder how he built a mechanic that makes walking so rewarding, how did he get the footwork so natural in an open world, how does the engine render so nicely and so quickly at scale. How did he build a mechanic that makes me want to spend hours collecting resources to make others have a better experience with the game. How did they manage to make this huge game and keep the quality so high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's not true. 1. This can be played offline so the help is never needed. 2. If you make a game that makes gamers want to be nice then it's a genius design.

Good luck with your future game, i'd love to see in a few years how trying to make a game shapes how you look at and really appreciate games. Others look at this and says it's a boring walking sim. I look at it and wonder how he built a mechanic that makes walking so rewarding, how did he get the footwork so natural in an open world, how does the engine render so nicely and so quickly at scale. How did he build a mechanic that makes me want to spend hours collecting resources to make others have a better experience with the game. How did they manage to make this huge game and keep the quality so high.

Hours of blood sweat and tears from under paid software engineers working unpaid crunch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The more I learn more about Death Stranding the more I see some of Kojima's previous ideas come to life or expanding on.

- In original artwork for MGS4, Raiden was shown to be carrying a baby around. The baby was believed to be that of Sunny. The picture is here.
    - The whole online 'connecting' aspect kinda feels like an extension of MGSV. Even in that game there was an event where if everyone disarmed their nuclear weapons a hidden cutscene would happen. Really a theme about coming together as DS seems to do.
    - Probably missing some more. Just thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

My copy came early from gamestop, I'm delighted! There has not been many games lately where I wanted it early, but I'll be ordering from them online again when it comes to The Last of Us and Cyberpunk.

Advertisement