Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It changes as you use it and from the weather. If you walk or drive a path a few times you will start to see it change into a natural path. It's pretty cool.

Rain is called time fall. If you are stuck in it everything starts getting old really quick. Your truck gets all rusty and turns into a banger if you spend too long out driving in a shower.

Others can build things that you can see and use. If you don't like it you can dismantle it and it will just be removed from your game, so there is no trolling.

You can play it offline but i don't see why you would. Finding the stuff people left is half the fun. A big part is contributing to shared lockers, leaving helpful equipment etc.

Interesting.
    I guess I should of added to my question. Like it seems a really cool feature. But what if someone bought the game in a year say. Would the landscape just look totally built up and not "bare" like it is now.

Probably a silly question...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good question. I'd say it's like when you log in, the game looks to put on a server with people who are on a similar chapter to make sure nothing is too different. Doubt there will be a lot of people on each server as it would be ridiculous to have 100's ladders lying around. Would be interested to know the tech side of the sharing feature.

Also, i too have to listen out for baby crying on a monitor, not looking forward to wondering if that's the monitor or joypad. Finally, baby gone to sleep, time to relax and put on a game where I'm minding a baby....

60 in Argos for anyone interested, got mine reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Played the 1st 75 mins last night.. Its full on Kojima,whether you like that or not.. It looks stunning too.. cant say if i like it yet as its 80hrs long ive heard so well see after getting a bit more into that Post-apocalypse-Man Pat gameplay Loop..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is 60 euro the cheapest in stores for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I played a bit too. It's seems pretty cool so far. Reminds me of those old obscure 70/80's sci fi movies that were just really weird. Mixed with what seemed like eldrich horror at times.

Having to manage the load on your back to stop it tipping over is funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wait, there's crying baby noises? I'm out!

I'm getting Yoshi's Island PTSD

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm getting Yoshi's Island PTSD

As long as it's not like Max Payne nightmare baby crying level. Jesus!

I saw this on Reddit last night, people buying copies of the game for strangers to build connections. Pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/teejaye84/status/1192503500258734080?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Is 60 euro the cheapest in stores for this?

if you arent in a hurry for it..

https://www.thegamecollection.net/death-stranding-ps4/?sqr=Death%20Stranding&

bigphil2 wrote: »

Interesting. Do they deliver to Ireland? or have to parcel motel it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Interesting. Do they deliver to Ireland? or have to parcel motel it?

They deliver to Ireland for £4.

My go-to retailer for nearly every game purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

They deliver to Ireland for £4.

My go-to retailer for nearly every game purchase.

Simply games and Base.com usually have good deals too.

Base can take a while though up to 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Started late last night, so i got to play for around 15 mins and watched an hour of cutscenes. Loving it!

My only quibble so far is that the font size is tiny in the menus. cant read it from my couch. Loving the tone and atmosphere of the world so far though. Can't wait to have some proper time with it this weekend

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Started late last night, so i got to play for around 15 mins and watched an hour of cutscenes. Loving it!

My only quibble so far is that the font size is tiny in the menus. cant read it from my couch. Loving the tone and atmosphere of the world so far though. Can't wait to have some proper time with it this weekend

Crap I had this issue with another major game before think they actually patched it at some point!

How far back from the screen are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭klose

Picked it up in argos, they have some new really strict id policy so unless you're going grey and wrinkly bring your id!

I can't believe small text is still a thing near the end of 2019. Should be mandatory to include a bigger font size.

Crap I had this issue with another major game before think they actually patched it at some point!

How far back from the screen are you?
    Im around 15ft away from the screen, but it's a big screen and hasn't really been an issue for me with any other game. It's grand, just a minor annoyance. I suppose when people are making the games they're right in front of a monitor and don't consider how that text is gonna look from a couch.

Im around 15ft away from the screen, but it's a big screen and hasn't really been an issue for me with any other game. It's grand, just a minor annoyance. I suppose when people are making the games they're right in front of a monitor and don't consider how that text is gonna look from a couch.

I can't remember what game I had this issue with but until they sorted it was bloody annoying!

Hopefully it's not to bad cause I ain't moving the sofa ha!

One of the first games I found that did the annoying small text was Dead Rising 1 in 2006.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They had an excuse then as they weren't used to HD graphics and most people on SD TVs were using garbage composite cables instead of s-video or RGB scart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm having no issues reading the text and my eyesight isn't the best.
    One of the first games I found that did the annoying small text was Dead Rising 1 in 2006.

I remember that, this is not even remotely close.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I'm having no issues reading the text and my eyesight isn't the best.

Well that's put me in my place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

The text is absolutely tiny at times on menu items on 4k 55" / ps Pro. I find myself having to lean forward at times.

The text thing becoming pretty common and is a big pain in the rectum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Had the same issue with Outer Worlds recently, tiny text and had a sit forward to read it. Weird design choice.

So, have many on here been playing Death Stranding today. I'm more interested in opinions from actual gamers than magazines. Has anyone who had voiced concerns about the game and bought it anyway been swayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Interesting.
    I guess I should of added to my question. Like it seems a really cool feature. But what if someone bought the game in a year say. Would the landscape just look totally built up and not "bare" like it is now.

Probably a silly question...

Not at all, it is a mental game to explain:D. Like trying to explain how great the walking feels until you play it. You can't wrap your head around why walking with stuff on your back feels great.

When you start the game you are offline and alone, so everyone starts from the same point regardless. Even when you do join the "network" later and see players' things, there isn't a huge amount of stuff. I think it is also linked to your rank to avoid getting too much help. .

Here is an example. I started and walking was hard, I was piled up with boxes and wobbly. I went to cross the river. You run out of stamina in fast water and I lost my footing. I slipped and lost all my gear. It floated down the river a bit. I got out and ran down the bank and fished it out. Next river same thing. It was a right pain.

But when I got to the location and got to open up the network and I could see other players' items. On my way home I came across a ladder Yongyea had built across the river, so I could just run across that and stay dry. I gave him a few likes for that. Later I was going up a hill and found a good way to climb so I set a sign saying there was a climbing route here. Put up a ladder and a rope down the other side to help people get over. The next day I had a few players like that.

That's how it goes. It is a light touch "helping", that just makes things a small bit easier. you work as hard for others as you do for yourself. I spent 6 hours getting materials to build a road network to get from one end to the other.

In my menu, there is a list of Players I have interacted with. If you see ones that like your work or you liked theirs a lot you can make a "strand". The more you help people and do missions the more you can rank up and get more strands. I'm 167 and have I think 37 strands.

I can now borrow bikes from the shared garage, I can leave items for others to deliver, or if I am going to X building I'll check the locker and bring the parcels for 4 or 5 friends.

Plus on top of that the rain destroys stuff, so it will break down over a few days.

It's layers and layers of complex ideas, built on top of great mechanics, in a beautiful looking world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Here is an example. I started and walking was hard, I was piled up with boxes and wobbly. I went to cross the river. You run out of stamina in fast water and I lost my footing. I slipped and lost all my gear. It floated down the river a bit. I got out and ran down the bank and fished it out. Next river same thing. It was a right pain.

But when I got to the location and got to open up the network and I could see other players' items. On my way home I came across a ladder Yongyea had built across the river, so I could just run across that and stay dry. I gave him a few likes for that. Later I was going up a hill and found a good way to climb so I set a sign saying there was a climbing route here. Put up a ladder and a rope down the other side to help people get over. The next day I had a few players like that.

That's how it goes. It is a light touch "helping", that just makes things a small bit easier. you work as hard for others as you do for yourself. I spent 6 hours getting materials to build a road network to get from one end to the other.

In my menu, there is a list of Players I have interacted with. If you see ones that like your work or you liked theirs a lot you can make a "strand". The more you help people and do missions the more you can rank up and get more strands. I'm 167 and have I think 37 strands.

I can now borrow bikes from the shared garage, I can leave items for others to deliver, or if I am going to X building I'll check the locker and bring the parcels for 4 or 5 friends.

Plus on top of that the rain destroys stuff, so it will break down over a few days.

It's layers and layers of complex ideas, built on top of great mechanics, in a beautiful looking world.

That has piqued my interest for this more than anything else has that's been put out.

Ya its great to actually read real experiences about this game because so much conflicting things been wrote online it's so hard to actually believe what's what.

Went out and bought the game on my break there so hopefully get time later to jump into it.
    It's long long time since a game has got my attention in a unique way like this one!

Really hope all the moaning is just from people looking for something that was never there anyway!

Sony Playstation Ireland giving away a PS4 Pro and copy of Death Stranding. Just have to comment Norman Reedus to enter.

https://www.facebook.com/112781868780241/posts/2654286927963043/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Really interesting stuff...
    So out of curiosity, do you think the shared universe aspect of the game, or even the game itself, will become less interesting a significant period after release?

It kind of sounds like if one comes to the game later, they're going to be less likely to be able to rank up if there are significantly fewer players there to interact with their creations. :o

Advertisement