Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

I'd like to know the opinions of quite casual gamers, e.g. 2-3 hours 2 or 3 times a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'd like to know the opinions of quite casual gamers, e.g. 2-3 hours 2 or 3 times a week

You mean the guys that only play Fifa and sometimes COD if they are bullied into it by their mates?
    This game isn't on their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

tuxy wrote: »
    You mean the guys that only play Fifa and sometimes COD if they are bullied into it by their mates?
    This game isn't on their radar.

That's a bit reductive and snarky tbh. I think they're referring to people who are adamant gamers and love games but don't have 10/20 hours a week to commit to playing. In other words, is this a game a casual gamer with limited time will take six months to finish.

It's a fair question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gizmo wrote: »
    So out of curiosity, do you think the shared universe aspect of the game, or even the game itself, will become less interesting a significant period after release?

It kind of sounds like if one comes to the game later, they're going to be less likely to be able to rank up if there are significantly fewer players there to interact with their creations. :o

Maybe, but a good few years down the line as you only really need a small chunk playing. I'm sure most of it could be fudged from the database to make it look like others are around too.

Ranking up can be done through missions. And even NPCs give "likes" so it all blurs together. The whole time you play it feels like someone came this way before, rather than someone else is here with you. You leave things for the person who will come along in a few days.

It's a fair question.

If you only had 2 hours a week for gaming would you play this?
    I don't think I would.
    I'd just watch a few highlights from streamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love when Sony studios share custom art supporting each other on exclusive releases (even though they're probably told to do it :) )

https://twitter.com/BendStudio/status/1192849777781686274?s=19

https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/1192828770471727104?s=19

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1192823786506244099?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Off work so put in a good few hours today, absolutely love the game. On paper it shouldn't work but it does. The mechanics, gameplay and narrative are all woven together in such a way that I actually don't think Kojima saying he has created a new genre was as hyperbolic as many of us thought at the time.

I'm only 8 or so hours in so obviously can't say if I'll feel the same way after 70 hours, but at the moment it feels like GotY material for me.

Edit: One negative (and it's minor) for me is the somewhat bizzare product placement. It doesn't feel right to see cans of Monster littering Sam's quarters, or to see ads for a Norman Reedus' TV show plastered across a shower cubicle. It feels extremely out of place and a little vulgar.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Off work so put in a good few hours today, absolutely love the game. On paper it shouldn't work but it does. The mechanics, gameplay and narrative are all woven together in such a way that I actually don't think Kojima saying he has created a new genre was as hyperbolic as many of us thought at the time.

I'm only 8 or so hours in so obviously can't say if I'll feel the same way after 70 hours, but at the moment it feels like GotY material for me.

Edit: One negative (and it's minor) for me is the somewhat bizzare product placement. It doesn't feel right to see cans of Monster littering Sam's quarters, or to see ads for a Norman Reedus' TV show plastered across a shower cubicle. It feels extremely out of place and a little vulgar.

Good to hear, I won't get a chance to play this for a few weeks but I'm looking forward to the experience.

Do you think that Kojima is self aware enough to know how stupid the product placement is but he still does it as a joke?
    I honestly can't tell.

The Monster thing might be due to an in joke they have, or more likely a large bag of money.

tuxy wrote: »
    Good to hear, I won't get a chance to play this for a few weeks but I'm looking forward to the experience.

Do you think that Kojima is self aware enough to know how stupid the product placement is but he still does it as a joke?
    I honestly can't tell.

I think he probably is aware as you say, he loves breaking the 4th wall (and there is a lot of that here) so he probably has decided to have a little fun with it.

• Advertisement

Few tips.

In the cargo menu.
    Press triangle to instantly stack in the most efficient way.
    If you want to move multiple items, hold in square and move down to select all the items you want to move.
    When finished hold X to quickly exit.

If you park near a terminal you can deliver from the back of your truck or bike. You dont have to carry it over.

Few tips.

In the cargo menu.
    Press triangle to instantly stack in the most efficient way.
    If you want to move multiple items, hold in square and move down to select all the items you want to move.
    When finished hold X to quickly exit.

If you park near a terminal you can deliver from the back of your truck or bike. You dont have to carry it over.

Handy to know that you don't have to lift items off the bike, cheers for the tip. There is a whole host of little quality of life touches here and there that I think people will miss easily. If you take your time to read tutorials and fiddle with menus the, UI and menus are really nowhere near as daunting as they seem at first.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Handy to know that you don't have to lift items off the bike, cheers for the tip. There is a whole host of little quality of life touches here and there that I think people will miss easily. If you take your time to read tutorials and fiddle with menus the, UI and menus are really nowhere near as daunting as they seem at first.

Quick query, Grumpy you may be best placed to answer!

I've just built a bridge leading onto another bridge which someone else had built. My thinking was it will give myself, and others a full walkway across this body of water, wheras the first bridge only covered half the river.

Is there any guarantee however that those two bridges will appear alongside each other in the games of others though? I just realise if others perhaps only have sight of my bridge, they are going to question my sanity over its placement if they cant see the other one i was aimimg to link with lol

It will definitely appear for some players, I'm not 100% sure how it works. You do tend to see the same names pop up along with additional ones. I think there is a data base that links people you have connected with and adds x number to fill that instance.

If you like the other bridge and even try make a strand with the other player it will prob stay like that.

It will definitely appear for some players, I'm not 100% sure how it works. You do tend to see the same names pop up along with additional ones. I think there is a data base that links people you have connected with and adds x number to fill that instance.

If you like the other bridge and even try make a strand with the other player it will prob stay like that.

Cool, cheers for the reply. Going to be an interesting few weeks as we discover how this is all working!

I don't think we'll ever get inside Kojima's head :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Got asked for ID when buying this in Argos today, even though I’m in my early 30s.

They must be being overly cautious because of the piss grenades.

There are some nice stories in the memory clips. One about a song , he said he heard it and instantly saw Sam walking through the landscape. It is by a guy who owns a catering company. So he put the song in the E3 trailer and it went on to top the charts in a few countries. Plus he got him to cater the devs on a few occasions.

Another in Iceland his driver knew a band plating in a record store so they went to see them. Again he liked them so put them in the game.

He seems like a very decent guy.

Started the game, tried figuring out the buttons. Found sprint but didn't know how to stop, ran straight off a cliff, WTF moment and back at it. My god the graphics are incredible and the sense of movement is incredible. It might look like MGS V but it feels way more realistic.

Only downside i see so far is the vibration is so strong, will be swapping out my joypads quite a bit i think but this game seems like vibrations would be important.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Also, i too have to listen out for baby crying on a monitor, not looking forward to wondering if that's the monitor or joypad. Finally, baby gone to sleep, time to relax and put on a game where I'm minding a baby....

Actually happened, paused the game to check on the baby monitor, all quiet. Unpaused and put the joypad to my ear, yupp, just bb wimpering away. Volume on controller was low so messed with my head a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only had a chance to play the prologue but I’m definitely in.

There’s absolutely some Kojima bull**** (:() here, but on the plus side it’s also loaded with Kojima bull**** (:)). The man’s a lunatic who wouldn’t know subtle if it came up and smacked him right up in the goddamn head with a mallet (had to laugh at the lad casually exposition bombing the world’s modern history during a cross-country drive), but his team know how to craft a visually marvellous, idiosyncratic and atmospheric world. Some pleasingly creepy, mystifying stuff in that opening gamut of cutscenes. The strange, desolate landscapes were among the only worthwhile things about the Alien prequels a few years ago, and this captures that cataclysmic eerieness and dials it up to 11.

I am an absolute sucker for games that turn traversal into actual mechanics (rather than ‘hold button and parkour’) so the second I picked up the first crates I was satisfied the game had the necessary weight and physicality. All about delivering those packages, friends.

That said, the Monster energy product placement - although mere ‘placement’ is a rather mild descriptor - can get in the ****ing sea at the earliest opportunity :)

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Actually happened, paused the game to check on the baby monitor, all quiet. Unpaused and put the joypad to my ear, yupp, just bb wimpering away. Volume on controller was low so messed with my head a bit :)

And now the opposite happened. Heard crying, put joypad to my ear, nothing, checked monitor, yupp my other BB. Time to stop for the night.

On chapter 2 and I'm all in. I have so many questions but I'm looking forward to finding the answers. I'm also looking forward to delivering parcels but gonna take the advice on here and not hang around chapter 2 too long.

Chapter 3 is where it steps up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

What's the verdict from those playing? Part of me wants to get it but reluctant to do so as it seems to be based on things I generally can't stand in gaming. Fetch quests, complicated inventory management, over encumbrance. From everything I've read I would hate it yet I'm still genuinely curious about it. I've never played a HK game before (got Metal Gear HD collection but could not adapt to old style controls).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Was off yesterday with time to kill, so I caved and bought this after being on the fence since the reviews came out.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I'm on chapter 2, not certain but I'm guessing I'm near the end of it -
    I'm just about to start the long order from capital knot city to Port knot city, just after getting the bike working which is a godsend

Visually it's stunning, the landscapes look amazing. The story and world is unveiled gradually, alot of questions I had make more sense now, but still alot to be cleared up. Seems like the kind of game you have to experience - I wasn't too keen when I heard the missions were all essentially deliveries, but there's something strangely satisfying about completing a big one over tough terrain when you're under pressure
    Love how the mood/tone changes when a MULE spots you, or worse, the BTs show up
    . It's not like other games where to get from A to B, you just hold forward on the analog, you have to assess the terrain and plot your route. It sounds boring but in real time it provides more of a challenge than the usual traversal in games. It's also great when you come across a ladder or rope left by someone else, just when you need it most
    Early on when I was being chased by MULES the first time, I was running away and came to a huge drop off a cliff, but thankfully someone left a rope going down the cliff face!

I guess I'll see if the delivery mechanics become boring over time, but it sounds like the game really steps up in chapter 3, and even in chapter 2 there are new aspects introduced gradually after each mission. Enjoying it so far though.

What's the verdict from those playing? Part of me wants to get it but reluctant to do so as it seems to be based on things I generally can't stand in gaming. Fetch quests, complicated inventory management, over encumbrance. From everything I've read I would hate it yet I'm still genuinely curious about it. I've never played a HK game before (got Metal Gear HD coll3but could adapt yo old style controls).

Normal fetch quests are about just wasting time. Pick up item here drive to person there to get the next mission, and you just hold x or push up and the trek is forgettable.

Same with over encumbered in other games it's annoying because if you have 199.99lbs of items you can sprint but have 200.1 you can't move. And you never know what you will need.

But here the journey is the game. You battle the terrain, enemies, gravity. You balance the items and this impacts gameplay. You Help and get help from strangers. When you arrive you feel a sense of completion and those journeys stay with you.

It's kinda like mountain walking. To one person it is time spent at peace, in nature looking at stunning surroundings, testing their physical limits and when you get to the top a great sense of accomplishment.

To others it's just looking at the same boring grass/bushes and drizzle, and all you get is sore legs so why bother.

Grumpy thanks for the 'triangle to auto sort' tip. I went from constantly going off balance because all the boxes were stacked vertically to being spread out to shoulders, arms and back. I was faster and more agile, less falling :)

The music is so good as well and speaking of, really cool of the composer to try help out steamers to keep the integrity of the experience.

https://twitter.com/Ludvig_Forssell/status/1192986703662682112?s=19

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The music is awesome, some dacent choons! I'm loving the game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Advertisement

Few other bits for managing items.

Recycle all the time and start trips with a bare minimum amount of items. There isn't really any item you need that can't be built again. And when you recycle the materials go back into that store for you to use.

Use shared and private lockers. If you have non critical mission deliveries stick them in a shared locker and other players will bring them for you. While there look for other player's item to match your journey. You can also get boots, weapons and materials here. But remember to give as much as you take.

Use private lockers to store large amounts of materials. In chapter 3 on you need lots to build a road network. No point lugging them up and down so start storing them while in the area and cone back later.

Advertisement