Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any tips for avoiding BT's? On chapter 2,
    came across my 2nd BT area, got caught again, managed to leg it out of the tar pit again and they disappeared. I crouch, sneak around, hold my breath but i always end up right on top of one. Am i supposed to be going the opposite way that my spinning shoulder thing is pointing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    came across my 2nd BT area, got caught again, managed to leg it out of the tar pit again and they disappeared. I crouch, sneak around, hold my breath but i always end up right on top of one. Am i supposed to be going the opposite way that my spinning shoulder thing is pointing?

Yes, try using the pulse too

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Use the R1 (pulse?) when crouching and not moving, decide where you going (aim for about 20m) and when you get there repeat. Holding your breath does help too.

Thanks lads, yeah i would crouch and pulse, see the BT's and then move in a direction away from them but my shoulder thing would start freaking out and the next pulse would show them right on top of me. Then i don't know if i should do like the cutscenes and stay completely still while holding breath or leg it.

Ah i just need more experience with them.

After that particular encounter, i came across a river where i fell twice and chasing my cargo. Only dawned on me afterward that i could have thrown down a ladder. I'm sure once the systems click with me, it will be gravy.

I'm seeing a similar thing on social media between this and days gone. The majority of posts are negative and from people who obviously haven't played it. I get that the cool thing to do these days **** on, well, anything but don't let all the 'walking simulator' comments put you off trying this. The hiking mechanic is really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

For the BTs. The shoulder thing will point at them. The white side flashes towards the bt. If you stop when it starts going mad, they materialize in the air.

But you can't see them unless you are still. So once you start moving again they will vanish and you run the risk of one landing right on you.

Holding your breath will make it hard for them to locate you. But you kinda have to crouch move slowly 5-10 feet. Keep going away from the direction it is flashing and stop regularly for 3 to 4 seconds to let them form.

If they see you they hit the ground then start chasing you, grabbing your legs trying to drag you to the other world. Hit square to kick them off then just run like crazy :)

That doesn't include the invisible one that makes the foot prints. You just hear him and see the splodge. Sit still with your breath held until he walks off then move on. :)

It is so unnerving.

• Advertisement

BT tips worked a treat. Stumbled upon them while i needed to collect crystals, was able to move around them, get what i need and get away without altering them :)

Also had my first 'connection' moment. Large River i was crossing regularly, i found a ladder had been put down across half of it. I laid one down for the second half and now it had a clear crossing. Very minor thing but still felt like team work with some stranger and hopefully it will help other strangers.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

This game has something. It shouldn't be good just reading the mechanics but when you're hiking across a hillside, checking elevations for the best route, it just works. I don't know how but on chapter three now and just enthralled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I heard it likened to Shadow of the Colossus yesterday and I would agree with that. A large open world with nothing really in it, but you just can't put it down.

Really enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kudos to the actors who managed to finally say ‘Die Hardman’ with a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Few other bits for managing items.

Recycle all the time and start trips with a bare minimum amount of items. There isn't really any item you need that can't be built again. And when you recycle the materials go back into that store for you to use.

Use shared and private lockers. If you have non critical mission deliveries stick them in a shared locker and other players will bring them for you. While there look for other player's item to match your journey. You can also get boots, weapons and materials here. But remember to give as much as you take.

Use private lockers to store large amounts of materials. In chapter 3 on you need lots to build a road network. No point lugging them up and down so start storing them while in the area and cone back later.

Sounds like GeoCaching, the videogame! :p

• Advertisement

The trek down to Port Knot City was beautiful, ended way too quickly but then i had trekked fecking miles already. Just about to go through a gate which i think will mean the start of chapter 3 so wanted to wait for more free time as i sense some cutscenes :)

For the grenades, do you have to drop the empty box before you can equip more grenades? Is there anyway for the box to auto drop so you can just start on the next box of grenades?

You don't have to drop them. Press right on the d-pad and equip a fresh set of 5. In this menu there can be a few pages. Click Right stick to change page. Sometimes the other set are on page 2 or 3.

You don't have to drop them. Press right on the d-pad and equip a fresh set of 5. In this menu there can be a few pages. Click Right stick to change page. Sometimes the other set are on page 2 or 3.

Ah **** thanks. I was wondering why my equipped stayed at 0 when i knew i had other cases, knew the way i was doing it couldn't be normal. But then, i didn't have time to go fiddling around with menus with the predicament i was in :)

As for Higgs
    i usually don't like hearing Troy bakers voice in games as he's a bit overused but just from that first meeting, he nails it. Character seems really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I may be wrong but I've noticed something that may be of use to others.

If you see an auto paver, contribute something to it as soon as you see it, even if it's just a couple of chiral crystals. It seems as soon as you dump even 1 chiral crystal into it, you will start receiving contributions from other players to the same paver. I'm struggling for mats in chapter 3 somewhat, but just by donating a few crystals to the pavers I've come across, I've still got a quite impressive road network due to the contributions of others.

Yeah i can't figure it out. I built the first two sections then another one appeared to be built by others, i found one other paver half full so finished that and got a nice road to the south (past the elder and craftsman). But since then ive been struggling by myself. So im wondering if some is tied to story progression. I just got to a new area in the south west with loads more but it looks like no one has been here. I might need to move along a story mission or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really Really intrigued by this but going to wait until the PC version as I know I'll never finish it on PS4. The wait will be a pain.

As for the Days gone comparisons.... don't put me off this game please! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Anyone come across the Horizon Zero dawn easter egg near the junk dealer
    tallneck hologram walking along
    ? Was amazing to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really Really intrigued by this but going to wait until the PC version as I know I'll never finish it on PS4. The wait will be a pain.

I figured this would be more of a cinematic experience I should play on my larger TV but I guess I could use my second monitor to do other things while playing past the boring content on PC. Now I'm not sure if I should wait or not...

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ha, nothing like days gone, just a similar reaction from people who haven't played it :)

At the start of chapter 3 and totally hooked on the story even though so much is still a mystery. Some long cutscenes but I'm finding them absorbing.

And the music is just incredible.

Yeah i can't figure it out. I built the first two sections then another one appeared to be built by others, i found one other paver half full so finished that and got a nice road to the south (past the elder and craftsman). But since then ive been struggling by myself. So im wondering if some is tied to story progression. I just got to a new area in the south west with loads more but it looks like no one has been here. I might need to move along a story mission or two.

I thought it might be tied to story progress as well, but haven't really played any story at all today and they seem to be going up at a crazy rate. I do seem to have hit a slump though towards the southwest, I can see a piece has gone up in the distance, but I'm missing chunks in between. Bizzare!

Love how rewarding it is though, its absolutely liberating once you piece a few stretches together.

• Advertisement

F***ing ghosts, f**k off!

That wind farm is the greatest c**t of a place. Thought I was never going to 5 star it.

Rob2D wrote: »

That wind farm is the greatest c**t of a place. Thought I was never going to 5 star it.

I haven't got 5 stars there yet. I do think I have gotten incredibly lucky there though with the equipment i have come across. A couple of really well placed bridges in my game (i have no idea how people managed to fit them down) have made the trickier bits of the area a bit easier to traverse.

So since release, this thread has had zero negative things said about the game by anyone I think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PC version is too far away.

That enough?

giphy.gif

Once you get to Port Knot are you gone? I went up there for a look last night without 5 starring the musician. Not looking forward to the trek back down the valley. Don't want to leave anything unfinished.

Once you get to Port Knot are you gone? I went up there for a look last night without 5 starring the musician. Not looking forward to the trek back down the valley. Don't want to leave anything unfinished.

You'll get the option to finish chapter 2 and it asks if you want to clean up any unfinished orders but once you start chapter 3, fast travel unlocks and you can go back any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Was away at the weekend so looking forward to finally picking this up today. Is there a long time for installation/download of any patches?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Was away at the weekend so looking forward to finally picking this up today. Is there a long time for installation/download of any patches?

Day one patch of 1gb, should be up and running in twenty minutes depending on your internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

And the music is just incredible.

Ah damn, that's me buying the game now so. Nothing like music to elevate a game or movie.

Advertisement