Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

So since release, this thread has had zero negative things said about the game by anyone I think?

My only complaint is there is to much faffing around in the menus at the terminals when you do a delivery or anything else. How many times have I got to mash the x button, once should be enough. It does my head in but I'm loving the game overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

So since release, this thread has had zero negative things said about the game by anyone I think?

There is definitely small annoyances, but I think for me anyway the positives outweigh the negatives by so much that I don't even notice them.

If I really think about it, the main issues for me are:

- UI is pretty unintuitve to begin with. Most of my opening hours were spent feeling as though I had made my way through the menus by accident rathe than knowing what I was actually doing.

- BTs don't really pose much of a threat at anytime (at least so far). The first few encounters are incredibly tense. But once you learn how to spot them properly, and get access to equipment that helps deal with them, they become more of a nuisance and that intruige fades (somewhat).

- Human enemies pose absolutely no threat and interactions with them can be extremely dull. I think this will change later with how the story is progressing, but at the moment encounters are trivial and enemies seem far to easy to dispatch of.

All that said though these aren't issues that I think about moment to moment because the game is that good and I'm so absorbed by the world and its mechanics. At the same time I can absolutely see why someone might play this for ten hours and bounce off it, never to return again . It definitely isn't a game for everyone, but I think it is one that everyone should at least try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

IS there any spoiler free lore sites or videos? I feel a bit lost sometimes when they talk about BT's like I've missed something but I'm not sure if I actually have.

Only major annoyance I had was being trapped in a private room until after exhausting all other options I had a shower, then the option to leave popped up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I too felt like i missed what BT's were, still don't know what it stands for. In the private room, if you HAVE to do some kind of action, there will be an exclamation mark beside it. I think anyway.

I'm sure the BT thing will all become clear but I'd avoid story videos and let the game tell me (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would love to know how the story is for people you have completed the game.
    Is it overall good? or lacking? etc.

So much i've read is people saying how great the game is but not so much the completed story. It's a given tho as the game seems so long.

• Advertisement

So much i've read is people saying how great the game is but not so much the completed story. It's a given tho as the game seems so long.

I checked the trophies last night and it was like 30% finished chapter 2 and under 6% finished chapter 3. I think there might be 10+ chapters so might not hear much about endgame. I've already read about YouTube videos with endgame spoilers in title and thumbnail, hopefully will be able to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Im only on Episode 5 so haven't got the full story but in my opinion the story is the best part of the game, I'm finding the game play to be pretty tedious but everytime I feel like giving up there is a new story beat that pushes me on. You are best to read all of the interviews to get a better idea of the lore. You wont understand terms like BT, The Beach, Death Stranding etc if you go by character dialogue alone, there isn't much exposition to explain those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cheers for that guys.
    Im only on Episode 5 so haven't got the full story but in my opinion the story is the best part of the game, I'm finding the game play to be pretty tedious but everytime I feel like giving up there is a new story beat that pushes me on. You are best to read all of the interviews to get a better idea of the lore. You wont understand terms like BT, The Beach, Death Stranding etc if you go by character dialogue alone, there isn't much exposition to explain those terms.

So it's kinda like MGS5 in the sense you have to listen to the cassette tapes?

Cheers for that guys.

So it's kinda like MGS5 in the sense you have to listen to the cassette tapes?

MGS5 you could understand most of the story without the cassette tapes. In Death Stranding id say you definitely need have a flick through to understand some of the main terms but luckily in the interviews the main points are highlighted in yellow so its not too much of a pain.

There is some good info on the DS Wiki on the big lore items if you look at the Science category BUT DO NOT READ THE CHARACTER PAGES AS THERE ARE STORY SPOILERS THERE.

MGS5 you could understand most of the story without the cassette tapes. In Death Stranding id say you definitely need have a flick through to understand some of the main terms but luckily in the interviews the main points are highlighted in yellow so its not too much of a pain.

There is some good info on the DS Wiki on the big lore items if you look at the Science category BUT DO NOT READ THE CHARACTER PAGES AS THERE ARE STORY SPOILERS THERE.

I'm scared to go searching for anything in case I get spoilered. Would be hard to play through 100 hours without the story dragging you along!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I could not stop playing this game all weekend. Absolutely loving it. Had to do a huge trek last night in a blizzard over a huge mountain and although It was just walking for around 30 mins I was on the edge of my seat.
    -

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kudos to the actors who managed to finally say ‘Die Hardman’ with a straight face.

I've been playing Peacewalker and to give Kojima some credit where credit is due, it is a step up from 'Hot Coldman'. his writing has moved from kindergarten to edgy pre-teen.

fixXxer wrote: »
    I'm scared to go searching for anything in case I get spoilered. Would be hard to play through 100 hours without the story dragging you along!

I would think that playtime will come down substantially when players build more infrastructure, the vast majority of time is spent crossing terrain on foot or backtracking. When I started playing on Thursday evening there was no roads and it was a pain going between the hubs but once the roads are built and you can cross terrain on vehicles you can wrap up a lot of the deliveries quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Went over to a friend's house on Friday and saw this in action. So taking the Hideo Kojima madness out of it, there's a better game here than I first thought. I hadn't realised there were vehicles - I don't know if that's considered a spoiler or not, but it hardly makes the game a "walking simulator" and certainly made it more appealing to me. I'm not paying full price for it, but I'll keep an eye for it on sale in the future.

I got first access to a bike in chapter 2. For it fixed up and it was ready for use. I had a big trek, went to the bike and decided to hike instead. Not because hiking is more fun but because i was worried about crashing the bike or getting it stuck somewhere and i just wanted to focus on my cargo and not worry about looking after a vehicle as well. Sounds very weird but this game has you thinking about things differently. I'm sure driving the bike would have been more 'fun' but i thought my legs would be more reliable.

Starting to get when some people said "it's not fun but i love it". I think it's a lot of fun though, so far anyway.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I got first access to a bike in chapter 2. For it fixed up and it was ready for use. I had a big trek, went to the bike and decided to hike instead. Not because hiking is more fun but because i was worried about crashing the bike or getting it stuck somewhere and i just wanted to focus on my cargo and not worry about looking after a vehicle as well. Sounds very weird but this game has you thinking about things differently. I'm sure driving the bike would have been more 'fun' but i thought my legs would be more reliable.

Starting to get when some people said "it's not fun but i love it". I think it's a lot of fun though, so far anyway.

Was that the bike
    outside the Bridge base with a dead battery? They told me I needed to find a generator to kick start it but not come across one yet.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Was that the bike
    outside the Bridge base with a dead battery? They told me I needed to find a generator to kick start it but not come across one yet.

Yupp, one of the next deliveries will see you get a generator which will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I brought the bike everywhere. Poor thing doesn't have an easy life with me that's for sure! :pac:

Left it behind when I headed for Port though; was scared to lose it. A good choice in the end I think.

Straight question

Can you skip the cutscenes? Not been able to find info for this anywhere.

I'm at Lake knot city, last night I decided to build some roads. Outside the distribution centre there are loads of trucks. Trucks would make carrying lots of metals and ceramics to the pavement builders a lot easier. Problem is all the trucks are locked. Do you get access to them further on in the story or are they only for npc's?

• Advertisement

Straight question

Can you skip the cutscenes? Not been able to find info for this anywhere.

Press start and select skip during cutscenes. Will save a lot of time when you dont have to watch Sam shower or take piss.

I'm at Lake knot city, last night I decided to build some roads. Outside the distribution centre there are loads of trucks. Trucks would make carrying lots of metals and ceramics to the pavement builders a lot easier. Problem is all the trucks are locked. Do you get access to them further on in the story or are they only for npc's?

I read online you cant but you can fabricate your own trucks or rob them from MULES.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My only complaint is there is to much faffing around in the menus at the terminals when you do a delivery or anything else. How many times have I got to mash the x button, once should be enough. It does my head in but I'm loving the game overall.

Is it the bit where you hand in a delivery and have to X through all the screens and watch the scores/likes etc?

If you press R1 it turns on "auto skip" and it will fly through them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You rob them from the mule camps. Those other ones are always locked. Once you have a truck you can move loads. If you build the roads they have a power trip in the middle if you drive on it you don't use the battery.

He has done a good job of making it a bit annoying so you appreciate the quality of life upgrades when you get them and they arrive at the right time. The power armour, the bike, the trucks, the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

While I have read the positive comments here with interest, it's still not doing it for me. I'll probably pick this up for free on PS+ in 2025 and regret never buying it.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    While I have read the positive comments here with interest, it's still not doing it for me. I'll probably pick this up for free on PS+ in 2025 and regret never buying it.

HAHA, I can't wait for the inevitable gimli post aka "I caved!"

My prediction. Friday coming with decent odds at 4/1.

Just to add to the above, I love my BB and I will DIE for him if needs be.

This has sold well first week at #2 for the UK Chart Sales
    I expected this short term given the massive publicity it's getting

Is it the bit where you hand in a delivery and have to X through all the screens and watch the scores/likes etc?

If you press R1 it turns on "auto skip" and it will fly through them for you.

That's it, the auto skip never stays on though. Its a small but annoying thing for me! Loving the game otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement