Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Definitely something weird going on with story in chapter one that you're not aware of. I'm predicting
    time travel
    is involved somehow. Could be way off the mark but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Been thinking, i would absolutely love a Tomb Raider game using this engine where the terrain and weather are your enemies (throw in some animals and angry locals maybe) but bring it back to adventuring, exploring, navigating. I would buy the **** out of that over another Uncharted 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Picked this up on the way to work this morning. Day is seriously dragging now, can't wait to get stuck into it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

So I checked my playtime and I'm around 27 hours, about halfway through chapter 3 of 14.....

As much as I'm loving the game, I think I am going to have to blast through some story. I'd love to try and 5 star each outpost and distro centre, but at this rate I'll be here till this time next year!

I'm definitely not trying to 5 star or pick up the lost cargo as i know I'll get burnt out. I only pick up lost cargo if it's for the current destination. I'm sure I'll have chance to hunt resources of needed but definitely focusing on story and sidequests as i think there are enough of them to keep me going.

• Advertisement

So since release, this thread has had zero negative things said about the game by anyone I think?

My main negative so far is the location names, everything is ****ing something knot city, finding it hard to know where people are emailing me from. I remember the faces and names of the contacts at each city but their city name is generally a blank for me

Headed off from Lake Knot City ( i think, first place you start in chapter 3) and see the paver structure with no road. I donated all the metal and crystals, still need 200 ceramics to finish it so still no road but I'm getting tons of likes from people using 'my road'. Not sure what's going on there. I thought by going back to distro, unloading all my gear into private locker and just taking the building resources, that i could get my gear again from the postbox beside the paver. Check three box had none of my gear. So, when you store anything in the private locker, it's just for that distro? I guess it doesn't make sense moving gear between places without having to actually carry out as that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

5 staring only really gets you the horizon holograms and a place to rest. Can be handy having an extra bed in the middle of the map. So get 5 on the craftsman at least.

Don't forget if you recycle at any distro the materials go into that centre. And you can take them out. You can grab a can with 1000 metal or 800 ceramics. Great for getting those roads up and running.

Also raid the mules, they have been grabbing things too so have loads and a truck you can use.

Private lockers are stationary. Nothing really travels unless it is on your back. You can pick up everything and make regular stops at postboxes to entrust deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Can see now what people meant about the game opening up in chapter 3, seems to be alot more going on all round. Not sure how far I'm through the chapter (just did the weather station mission), but there have been plenty of additions to the gameplay. Between the roads, more structures you can build, vehicles and other methods of carrying extra cargo, the mule camps etc, the game feels like it's really opened up now. The map of the region feels massive too compared to the earlier region, it's only when you do the first couple of missions and then look at the areas on the map, that you realise the scale. Big variety of terrain too from what I've seen.

The interaction with other players completely changes in chapter 3 too, regarding the road building etc. It's pretty cool to start off building something, to come back later and see someone else has continued building, or finished it. I find myself always looking out for extra building materials so I can keep building the roads, but it doesn't take much before you're falling over with the weight. Also all the likes from other people using something you've contributed to, really adds to the feeling of everyone being connected in the game, which was Kojima's aim by the sounds of it.

In regards to Mules, i always feel like sneaking in and strangling them but because they ping your cargo, i always feel like I'm being hunted and leg it til i get out of their territory. Is it worth taking them on and hammering the square button? Are they easy to take out? Does your cargo take much damage in the fight?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    In regards to Mules, i always feel like sneaking in and strangling them but because they ping your cargo, i always feel like I'm being hunted and leg it til i get out of their territory. Is it worth taking them on and hammering the square button? Are they easy to take out? Does your cargo take much damage in the fight?

Get the Bola Gun, even at level 1 it makes enemy camps a doddle. I have it at level 2 and can now use it against BT's as well as humans. I believe it was the craftsman who rewards it though I could be mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They are easy enough to beat in fairness. Few slaps !! If you have a box in your hand you can hop it off them. You do get some upgrades to help take them on but ill let you discover them as you go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Does this game have the best walking in the history of video games? Spending such surely ludicrous amounts of money and resources on the physics and experience of walking across different environments is the sort of idiosyncratic indulgence I throw my complete support behind when it comes to AAA games. Setting out on a perilous hike with a load of fresh packages is far more satisfying and exciting than the words alone suggest. It’s the only open world title I can think of outside Breath of the Wild that gets traversal so very, very right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I got caught by a BT early and got dragged into the liquid. When I popped back up I was attacked by a giant squid thing which killed me before I could get away. My death ripped a huge crater in the landscape. Ye have probably seen that already but I thought pretty cool the way it was done and how you can leave your mark on the landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

This just arrived in the post for me today so I haven't had much time with it, just finished the prologue.

The intro was beautiful, I've been listening to Low Roar since the first trailer dropped, they really suit the tone of this game.

I was left cold by MGSV, it felt like Kojima compromised far too much and threw the baby out with the bathwater in terms of reigning in the cutscenes. So I'm absolutely loving the unapologetically long cutscenes full of Kojima madness. Should have had more of this stuff in MGSV.

Excited to have a proper crack at this over the weekend.

On chap 3, met engineer and craftsman ( the upgrades you get from them from the first deliveries are so handy). Completed a road just outside lake knot city, was a small road but felt extremely satisfying. Helped to contribute a much bigger road by the engineer, still in progress but it's great to get notifications that other people are contributing. Also, contributing to pavers has jumped me from 200 likes from other players to 12,000 and all i contributed were 800 metals, 1000 crystals and about 600 ceramics, didn't have to grind for any of them. If you see a paver, contribute something, anything. Your name will get attached to the road even if it's not built yet.

By the time i started typing this message, my likes went up to 13,400. I thought it was corny af when Kojima was talking about getting people connected and helping but Goddamn it, he's pulled it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Is it worth taking them on and hammering the square button? Are they easy to take out?

They're stupidly easy to beat. Just use your strap/rope thing. Wait until they take a swing then PARRY. And just bind them from behind. It's literally Assassin's Creed levels of just stand there and push the button. End up surrounded by bodies.

Stole a truck from a mule camp, cleaned out two more camps of metals and ceramics and used the truck to build a road from lake knot city as far as the craftsmans camp. Pretty chuffed with myself! Time to get some more story done now though.

I'd love a search function in the tips menu. I know you can skim through categories, but a deeper filter would be useful given the amount of stuff there is to scroll through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't think Kojima is doing himself any favours here:

Hideo Kojima Thinks Americans Are Too Dense to Understand Death Stranding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Don't think Kojima is doing himself any favours here:

Hideo Kojima Thinks Americans Are Too Dense to Understand Death Stranding

Some wild paraphrasing in that article to be fair and headlines pretty much at odds with the quotes.

The article arrives at 'Americans lack the sophistication to understand Death Stranding' where in fact he posits that Americans are more so fans of FPS games (which DS is not) and have a different artistic sensibility rather than an inferior one.

• Advertisement

Some wild paraphrasing in that article to be fair and headlines pretty much at odds with the quotes.

They're not too far off though, from Kojima:

I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters, and Death Stranding is not.

I always try to create new things, and disputes and discussions are fine, but it has to be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this brand of very original products, not only in video games but also in cinema

Paraphrase or not, that's how it reads to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hideo Kojima attributes stronger criticism in the US to Americans lacking the ‘artistic sensibility’ to understand Death Stranding

He'd make you roll your eyes. The artistic sensibility to understand why Monster Energy, Conan O Brien and Geoff Keighley have survived some form of apocalypse in his deep game?

Guy is a hack and peaked over 15 years ago with MGS3.

31% of User Reviews not liking this game. Alternatively, you could look at ~68% of Users liking it! https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding/user-reviews

31% of User Reviews not liking this game. Alternatively, you could look at ~68% of Users liking it! https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding/user-reviews

Yea, sure look how credible they are :pac:

Somehow this synopsis scores a 10

3c1ZdWP.jpg

Think RetroGamer mentioned how dodgy Famitsu are.
    Well Well, he may have had a point :P

"Death Stranding's Famitsu cameos spark questions in Japan
    40/40 vision."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-11-death-strandings-famitsu-cameos-spark-questions-in-japan

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Getting this as an Xmas present,was on the fence about it but after hearing a reports from a few friends.

It seems different anyway, hope the delivery loop doesn't become boring anyway.

I played days gone until the finish and even though it did have flaws it should not have got as poorly reviewed as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ronan power

Have Started to play it don,t have a clue what is going on but, amazing visuals and game play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think RetroGamer mentioned how dodgy Famitsu are.
    Well Well, he may have had a point :P

"Death Stranding's Famitsu cameos spark questions in Japan
    40/40 vision."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-11-death-strandings-famitsu-cameos-spark-questions-in-japan

They aren't dodgy though. Dodgy would be pretending that they give unbiased reviews. They freely admit that they are dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Had a look at what Kojima said. To be fair he's not wrong either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Put in a few hours last night, got through the prologue and 1st chapter. Looks and sounds amazing, including a cracking soundtrack. And that's me playing on PS4 slim and 8 year old TV, I imagine it's even more impressive with a Pro. The story is weird for sure, but intriguing at the same time. Wouldn't want to miss any of the cutscenes, they're very well done (and I hope they will eventually make sense!). As for the gameplay, it's certainly different - the feeling of keeping your balance whilst trekking through mountains with a hefty delivery on your back is way more tense and thrilling than it sounds: there's a bit of horror in there, there's planning to be done for the best route, and some degree of reactions /judgement as you use the shoulder buttons for balance whilst trying to walk as fast as is manageable. Looking forward to progressing, as sounds like it opens up a lot more in the coming chapters.

Advertisement