Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I ignored all the bad stuff said about this game just before was released so glad I did!

Just finished it there such an amazing story really enjoyed playing and taking it all in bit by bit.

Kojima is something else for emotional throwing you around in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Me whenever I see vehicles abandoned on my newly printed road.

It's all fun and games until 3 people decide to leave their trucks right in front of the entrance to a prepper. Then the grenades have to come out.

On the off chance they ever do a sequel there should be a multiplayer function where you invade another player's world to deliver a parking ticket :pac:

Anybody got the platinum yet ? I've started developing my zip line network to cut down the time needed to 5 star all the terminals. One of the trophies needs you to get rank 60 in all attributes but my Time attribute is 35 levels off and goes up at a snails pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Patch coming in December will allow you to remove other player vehicles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I ran right into a porter on purpose because I thought it was a MULE. I never felt so bad in any game this year lol

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Anybody got the platinum yet ? /quote]

Haven't had a lot of time recently to play anything but I got all the memory chips last night. I have to level up all the outposts to five stars, I probably have half of them done, this will be the most time consuming one. Ten trophies left in total, fabricate all equipment and level up all types of structures etc. Easy but time consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Yeah i got the platinum. For the timed deliveries i belive the doctor has a few big one that will shoot your bar up. If memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I ran right into a porter on purpose because I thought it was a MULE. I never felt so bad in any game this year lol

I did something similar at a distribution center. A few days after release when I guess everyone had found how to place holograms and were dropping them everywhere. I was driving into the center, milled through a line of holograms towards the lift at top speed only to see the last one wasn't as he flew about 40 feet through the air to smack off the back wall.
    Thumbs down from his mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm about minus 20k likes from porters because I also thought they were bad and drove around milling them.

Just finished chapter 9. Super game so far. I'd recommend anyone who gets to chapter 10 to read the Peter Eglert emails and do his pizza deliveries. The end of that side mission blew my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm about minus 20k likes from porters because I also thought they were bad and drove around milling them.

Just finished chapter 9. Super game so far. I'd recommend anyone who gets to chapter 10 to read the Peter Eglert emails and do his pizza deliveries. The end of that side mission blew my mind.

Sucha cool payoff for what seems like an absolutely mindless bit of filler initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    Definitely something weird going on with story in chapter one that you're not aware of. I'm predicting
    time travel
    is involved somehow. Could be way off the mark but we'll see.

Ending spoilers
    Well I wasn't far off. Was pretty obvious Bridget and Amelie were the same person.

One thing that bugged me all the way through the game was the naming of the characters and how they all had to 'mean' something important. It got tiring very quickly. Even the dudes in the distribution centres were named after them! It's like Kojima learned that lots of English words had double meanings and let his characters read the thesaurus to us. Most enjoyable chapter (and character) was Heartman, because he was the only one who spoke or acted like a real person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭klose

Only realised after I completed the main story that you have to finish off the roads yourself, for some reason I was under the illusion it built itself naturally sort of as the game plodded along as one day it was down just before the middle distribution centre and never thought any more of it.

Just connected lake knot to south knot so gonna go after the roads to mountain knot and the rest next, makes the game much handier for the small orders in the game can't believe I'm only after realising it.

klose wrote: »
    Only realised after I completed the main story that you have to finish off the roads yourself, for some reason I was under the illusion it built itself naturally sort of as the game plodded along as one day it was down just before the middle distribution centre and never thought any more of it.

Just connected lake knot to south knot so gonna go after the roads to mountain knot and the rest next, makes the game much handier for the small orders in the game can't believe I'm only after realising it.

Zip lines are much handier for small orders. You can travel faster and fly over BT zones and Mule areas if you place them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Zip lines are much handier for small orders. You can travel faster and fly over BT zones and Mule areas if you place them properly.

Nothing better than the animation for BT's and there's you cruising at altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Setting up an almost uninterrupted zip line between
    Heartmans Lab
    and the
    Great Tar Pit
    is one of my greatest achievements in gaming :D

fixXxer wrote: »
    Setting up an almost uninterrupted zip line between
    Heartmans Lab
    and the
    Great Tar Pit
    is one of my greatest achievements in gaming :D

I'm going for the platinum now. Raising all outposts to 5 stars is a lot easier with zip lines. I was focusing on the eastern area for the last few days and can reach every outpost between capital and port knot cities without touching the ground. Setting up zip lines to the wind farm was a bit tricky, its possible to get line of sight between some of the trees, but it's great to fly over the forest there as its infested with BT's.
    I have a good network around most of the mountain area in the central region except towards the tar belt so that's next I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Coming back to the starting point after defeating Higgs only to be faced with another god damn Cliford Unger fight. I'm losing the will to finish this game beaten this guy twice already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm about halfway through Chapter 8, but I'm going to tap out. I enjoyed a lot of the core gameplay, but it's just gotten so boring and trudging through the mountain repeatedly has sapped all my enthusiasm. The story also didn't grab me at all, so I googled it last night and... yeah... I think I'm alright skipping it, kinda guessed some of it anyway.

It's a good game, but it's hard work for not enough payoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I'm glad to hear it's not just me who got fed up on the mountains. I beat it, but it leaned way too heavily into the zipline mechanic in the back half of the game way past the point that it felt novel.

It also became the only real way to make progress on that part of the game, which made things repetitive, boring and unchallenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Penn wrote: »
    I'm about halfway through Chapter 8, but I'm going to tap out. I enjoyed a lot of the core gameplay, but it's just gotten so boring and trudging through the mountain repeatedly has sapped all my enthusiasm. The story also didn't grab me at all, so I googled it last night and... yeah... I think I'm alright skipping it, kinda guessed some of it anyway.

It's a good game, but it's hard work for not enough payoff.

So kind of like what happens in MGS5 at a point? (haven't played DS yet)
    That being >> You've already done enough. The missions are becoming meh as they are the same ol, same ol.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me who got fed up on the mountains. I beat it, but it leaned way too heavily into the zipline mechanic in the back half of the game way past the point that it felt novel.

It also became the only real way to make progress on that part of the game, which made things repetitive, boring and unchallenging.

Gotta disagree there. I went back to the start and began setting up ziplines all the way to the Tar Belt. Not got it completed yet but having a great time flying back and forth making deliveries all over the place. Finally 5 starred a few Knots. Great sense of achievement when I see all the ladders and ropes I had previously set up but now looking at them from the air at great speed.

• Advertisement

So kind of like what happens in MGS5 at a point? (haven't played DS yet)
    That being >> You've already done enough. The missions are becoming meh as they are the same ol, same ol.

I never really found that in MGSV. The gameplay was so great and variable that I always enjoyed it, even when missions got repetitive. Here, too much of the gameplay is kinda frustrating and bland that even though it's still enjoyable for the most part, it just really stretches things too far. Like the main character a lot of the time, it's just not balanced well enough.

At least in MGSV it always feels like you're properly doing something. You're properly achieving a specific goal. Missions/tasks are varied in some way even if it's the same base gameplay. I don't feel that enough with Death Stranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

fixXxer wrote: »
    Gotta disagree there. I went back to the start and began setting up ziplines all the way to the Tar Belt. Not got it completed yet but having a great time flying back and forth making deliveries all over the place. Finally 5 starred a few Knots. Great sense of achievement when I see all the ladders and ropes I had previously set up but now looking at them from the air at great speed.

I found it very satisfying the first time I set a network up that connected the distro center between south and north (cant remember the fecking names of cities cause they're all the same) through the weather station and across the mountains.

But it got old when it was nothing but that for chapters 6 and 8. Once you do it once it's just the same thing over and over imo. It's the fact that the game keeps going on but doesn't refresh things much for about 10 hours or so, just ziplines and ziplines.

I found it very satisfying the first time I set a network up that connected the distro center between south and north (cant remember the fecking names of cities cause they're all the same) through the weather station and across the mountains.

But it got old when it was nothing but that for chapters 6 and 8. Once you do it once it's just the same thing over and over imo. It's the fact that the game keeps going on but doesn't refresh things much for about 10 hours or so, just ziplines and ziplines.

Yeah it was starting to become a bit annoying as you can't always set up ziplines along the way because the area might not be in the chiral network, then you might not always be going back that way either. Plus you're trying to link with other people's ziplines but they might not always be in a good spot for you. And then you have to deal with having to lug PCCs with you when a lot of the missions in that section didn't give a great amount of capacity to bring them, as you also had orders and weapons to carry.

It just really began to put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭klose

So the road goes from lake knot to south knot and branches off towards mountain knot also? Is that it? I've finished it there thought there would have been a trophy for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah it was starting to become a bit annoying as you can't always set up ziplines along the way because the area might not be in the chiral network, then you might not always be going back that way either. Plus you're trying to link with other people's ziplines but they might not always be in a good spot for you. And then you have to deal with having to lug PCCs with you when a lot of the missions in that section didn't give a great amount of capacity to bring them, as you also had orders and weapons to carry.

It just really began to put me off.

At times I found it easier to put the order on your back so you could see where you were going. Set a waypoint, put the order in your locker then set up a zipline route.

I know it sounds tedious as f*** but it felt like I was outsmarting the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I just put about an hour into this but really don’t want to invest 50 hours in it. Are there any good videos that cover the overall story?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Lads I just put about an hour into this but really don’t want to invest 50 hours in it. Are there any good videos that cover the overall story?

Not sure of any videos, but I think you would be wise to at least get to chapter 3 before jacking it in. A lot of people done a 180 on the game upon reaching chapter 3 as it really does open things up.

Obviously you may still dislike it, plenty did; but an hour in and you really have only seen a tiny fraction of what the game has to offer and getting to chapter 3 doesn't require much of a time investment. Doable in 3 hours I reckon with minimal messing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

goon_magee wrote: »
    Not sure of any videos, but I think you would be wise to at least get to chapter 3 before jacking it in. A lot of people done a 180 on the game upon reaching chapter 3 as it really does open things up.

Obviously you may still dislike it, plenty did; but an hour in and you really have only seen a tiny fraction of what the game has to offer and getting to chapter 3 doesn't require much of a time investment. Doable in 3 hours I reckon with minimal messing around.

Thanks man I’ll stick with it! Was just a bit disheartened cos the first hour is 50 minutes of cutscenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Agree with the points above about it becoming a slog when you hit the snow bit to be fair you can power through it pretty quick if you just focus on the story missions.

• Advertisement

Now have start of the game all the way to port knot city connected to a zipline network. Is there anyway to make
    the robocouriers
    a bit more... reliable?

Advertisement