Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Finished getting the last of the memory chips last night and got the platinum. Definitely my goty.

Really liked how even after you finish the story you continue to unlock interviews. The one that explains
    Sam meeting his wife and the reason she committed suicide in particular is pretty good along with Higgs' diary.

It definitely has its faults though. Chapter 6 is a slog and most of the time I died it was because of the weird fall damage calculation on downwards slopes. Also the vehicles can have a mind of their own.

Even though I enjoyed it I hope Kojima moves onto something else next. The story is well wrapped up plus the guy they used for the engineer's hologram is Junji Ito and I'd love to see what him, del Toro and Kojima would come up with for a horror game.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I finally convinced myself to pick this up a couple of days ago after receiving vouchers from my relatives and currently am around the 6 hour mark .
    I am not sure how drastically the game changes but my early impressions are somewhat odd .

When the reviews started coming in I did not put much trust into what gaming journalist have said as I feel alot of their opinions towards death stranding was way over the top , but judging by my short experience so far Death stranding feels like its MGSV without the stealth/Combat .

I am perfectly Happy playing a hiking game , but I was expecting more Kojima weirdness . maybe I am too early in the game :confused:

the online component isnt as compelling as its taken from From Software Souls games but I am curious does it expand the longer I play it .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On chapter three.

I won't say it's changed completely bit the relative frustration of the opening/early parts does subside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

the online component isnt as compelling as its taken from From Software Souls games but I am curious does it expand the longer I play it .

Yes in breadth but not complexity, the system remains essentially the same but it's usefulness expands. E.g. when you start hurting for Chiral bandwidth checking for friendly structures and incorporating them becomes fairly critical as they are bandwidth 'free'. Also
    one the last missions removes all of your own structures in the starting area and you have to make your way right across it. The more quality bridging you have developed will mean more friendly structures and items to use. You can walk across it with just a Bola gun or drive and have friends throwing quad rocket launchers for the major boss battle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I am perfectly Happy playing a hiking game , but I was expecting more Kojima weirdness . maybe I am too early in the game :confused:

This has Kojima all over it. All the fiddly, finicky, attention to detail things that are fun in moderation have been overdone and stacked on top of each other. I love that Kojima was given full control but perhaps he should have taken more advice from his team.

• Advertisement

Took a break from gaming over Christmas and got back to this earlier. Nearly got the platinum, just have to do the pizza deliveries to five star the last outpost. One thing that grew more and more annoying as I was traipsing about is the animation for the odradek scanner when you enter a BT area. It takes ages, it's annoying and it's unskippable. I know it's a BT area, I've passed through here a hundred times already! I don't need to watch the gammy robot hand fold out every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I I am perfectly Happy playing a hiking game , but I was expecting more Kojima weirdness . maybe I am too early in the game :confused:

You ain't seen nothing yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Does anyone have stuff to deliver to the Collector. A tough chap to 5 star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads my bike got destroyed just before I got to Lake Knot City. Is there a way for me to get another one before doing my next delivery, as it's through a big raider camp.

Lads my bike got destroyed just before I got to Lake Knot City. Is there a way for me to get another one before doing my next delivery, as it's through a big raider camp.

Go back to a distribution centre and fabricate one. The raiders aren't a real threat. Even when heavily outnumbered you can easily defeat them in hand to hand fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Booted this up today enjoyed the 15 minutes of gameplay that I got to play out of all the cut scenes. Jesus Christ, hope the whole game is not like this.

Chapter six now - hitting my stride.

Not sure about story to be honest, not loving the recent Mama arc.

It's all a bit messy for me so far.

Most of Those letters are kind of excruciating to read.

Find myself a bit obsessed with building roads.

No one else ever seems to actually complete one? Is that weird? I mean I can see materials have been contributed but not sure I've ever seen the finalisation of one other than one I've done myself.

On chapter 5

I wholeheartedly appreciate what kojima and his team have created with death stranding , with the 31 hours I have invested so far I can honestly say the game may not be for everyone , but it absolutely belongs as a apiece of art, not because of its story which tbh I understand the concept but I have no idea what anyone are talking about 80% of the time . But its world is just so captivating to gather supplies and just explore this world.

I just love walking with my Jenga Backpack and start walking , its so relaxing.

its not without its faults though , the menu system is a bit messy for my liking and my main criticism thus far is how simple the game is . B.T are an amazing idea but they oppose no treat , I feel they are a miss opportunity as they could really have been like Silent Hill -Esque enemies that would be terrifying but I have had no trouble when I got caught as they were easy to take down.

im currently rating at aroud a 6-7/10 game but I really am liking my time with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just finished the game today. A very intriguing game that is quite unique in it's concept. I liked it for the most part.

Booted this up today enjoyed the 15 minutes of gameplay that I got to play out of all the cut scenes. Jesus Christ, hope the whole game is not like this.

As far as I can remember bar:
    The odd Higgs monologue. One really awkward Deadman encounter. When you go to Heartman and the last 2 chapters
    not really.

I have finally finished the game. Overall my impressions are positive .
    To my experience what worked so well about Death Stranding was that it took the Item Management/ Base Building mechanics of Peace Walker/Metal Gear Solid 5 and made it the core of DS foundation.

I wish I was not too quick to judge the game prior to when the game was coming out as I was already going in with a mindset I was going to hate this game .

Luckily I am not the type of person to let frustration get the better of me regarding to DS slow start but as soon as I took on that first delivery mission and started walking , I knew this was the game I needed right now.

As I stated before its just to relaxing to walk and explore this game , they could of removed all the action entirely and I still would have been happy just to jog along and keep delivering . it was an incredible feeling , only one other game ever to match this was Zelda Breathe of the wild .

Its not without its faults though , The inventory is a mess and the map is a little to messy to try to find the location you needed to go to.
    I could of much preferred all the real life actors and item advertisements not in the game since it somewhat took me out of the game altogether at times.

Seeing all the cameos aswell , I felt it became a little too much of a product placement of some sort than a different world to put myself into.

My main issue still was that the game was too easy and the BT mechanics was incredibly half baked . Given the studio prior was working on P.T , they really could have made the fights feel like you were stepping into Silent Hill .

Especially aswell you are told not to fight them , but they were so easy it lost all sense of panic bumping into one , it was very disappointing.

In the end I didn't think the game deserved a 10/10 nor does it deserve a 3-4/10

the moments just walking and delivering was the highlight for me and if I were to judge it by that then I would give the game anywhere to a high 8 or 9/10

but judging it as a whole with the let down of the B.T I give it a 8/10

Its def worth trying but Its not for everyone

I'm not finished just yet.

The writing is really terrible so far (on chapter 10), the emails are terrible, the plot is really half baked.

Like MGS games they let you make all these borderline superfluous gadgets and weapons that you don't need to use or shouldn't use.

Delivering gets old, the standard missions that keep popping up are the equivalent of random number generator missions. Nothing noteworthy, no real side plot revealed and **** all reason for doing them unless you are trophy hunting (or need yet another unnecessary gadget).

That being said. It's beautiful, the world I'd beautiful (but oh so barren and I've never played a game so big that rewards you so little for going off the beaten track). Music choice was strong also.

One mechanic which worked was the strutures online. I've never played a game where you were actually so happy someone built a road, or put a generator/safehouse/bridge somewhere. It's almost always useful as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

One thing I would have liked to see in this game. Since players are allowed to share equipment and use each other's structures, it would be nice to actually see other players themselves. Make it a bit like GTA online or World of Warcraft where you can see and interact with other players. The world seems so barren and empty without other life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

On chapter 3, enjoying this a bit more now. Its relaxing to play anyway and some of the new gadgets I got make delivery a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Riddle101 wrote: »
    One thing I would have liked to see in this game. Since players are allowed to share equipment and use each other's structures, it would be nice to actually see other players themselves. Make it a bit like GTA online or World of Warcraft where you can see and interact with other players. The world seems so barren and empty without other life :)

This would have taken away from the game for me personally. The thing I loved most about it was how the majority of my journeys were in complete isolation, I didn't even like bumping into the roaming NPCs as they pulled me out of that sense of isolation, so I can't even imagine how jarring I would have found it if I looked over my shoulder and found "K1nGSn1peR94" (insert any other generic gamer tag of your choosing!) trekking up the mountain behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

goon_magee wrote: »
    This would have taken away from the game for me personally. The thing I loved most about it was how the majority of my journeys were in complete isolation, I didn't even like bumping into the roaming NPCs as they pulled me out of that sense of isolation, so I can't even imagine how jarring I would have found it if I looked over my shoulder and found "K1nGSn1peR94" (insert any other generic gamer tag of your choosing!) trekking up the mountain behind me.

Or hitting you with his truck, stealing your items and making you fail deliveries.

I think the potential for griefing in this game would ruin it if people were in the same game map.

I'd prefer to have actual npc's at the outposts and distribution centres. It's mad that you trek across the country or up a mountain bringing stuff to people and they won't even come out and shake your hand or offer a cup of tea or something! Instead it's talk to my stupid hologram, ungrateful bastards!

yeah to be honest it was bad enough with trucks left blocking doorways.

Just finishing up now.

God the story really has gone off the rails.

I've played every MGS bit this is more gibberish than anything.

However, I will say that ending hit hard.

Won't say anymore.

Finally bought this. Descriptions made it sound like the most boring game of all time, and so did the YouTube videos. But I'm really enjoying it :-)

However, to the dick who built a generator in the middle of a river forcing me to drive over to charge my bike, because it was there, my bike is stuck and I can't get at it and only had it for an hour!

Finally bought this. Descriptions made it sound like the most boring game of all time, and so did the YouTube videos. But I'm really enjoying it :-)

However, to the dick who built a generator in the middle of a river forcing me to drive over to charge my bike, because it was there, my bike is stuck and I can't get at it and only had it for an hour!

#JustPorterProblems

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I got this at Christmas and havent played it yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

You never forget your first bike. Mine exploded when I did a jump at the top of the ramp that leads down in to Captial Knot City. She deserved better ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I got this at Christmas and havent played it yet :o

...good to know....

Advertisement