Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Penn wrote: »
    Wait til you learn about some of the other characters backstories.

I sometimes wonder if 'Kojima' is Japanese for 'creator of the Metal Gear Solid franchise'

I've been playing this more and I'm at the bit where a whole lot of Deadman origins get revealed to the player.

Kojima is mental. He comes out with great set ups like mgs and even death Stranding then he just goes mental with plot elements or characters.

He's getting more whacky with every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Played this on my sons Steam account...my god its sh1te. Weird sh1te but still sh1te. Reminds me of this

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Does the date of birth thing at the start have any real bearing on the game?

When you do a call out other players say happy birthday in response, that's the only thing I saw.

MGSV was great in that you were called back to base for an emergency then there was flashes and bangs that you realised was fireworks as they all came out and sang happy birthday to you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read that depending on your starsign, the B.Ts can react differently, some starsigns make them calmer while others more aggressive. Lots more about it but i stopped reading at starsigns. If that's true then ffs Kojima :)

• Advertisement

Only just staring out and of course I fell to my doom. But visually it's stunning even on a standard console.

Even what was said between two characters intrigued me but no doubt I'll be saying ffs Kojima too later on.

EDIT: and happens every time I come back to play a PS4 title and see a prompt to press X and end up pressing square :D

Enjoy man, don't get stuck in chapter 2 too long, don't mind that Bollox of point of no return message you get, you can get back later on and chapter 3 is where it really opens up gameplay wise.

Well theres enough there in terms of questions I want answered about the world and wtf is going on to have hooked me. I ignored a lot of the hype around this and the trailers and reviews ect. as I'd no intention of playing it at launch. I'm fully expecting to be calling Kojima all sorts by the end but in terms of a sci-fi premise in the prologue WOW!!!!
    Stuff like the tears and Sam being marked from contact with Fragile and mention of the rain and time has my head spinning. Then to dash to an incinerator with a corpse because yeah a corpse will turn a city into a crater and does :eek:

I'm struggling to think of a game, TV show or film that has got hooks that big into me in recent memory. Please don't funk this up like the Phantom Pain Kojima

Don't answer this if it's a spoiler. I might be just overthinking this minor detail but I'm on chapter 2 now and Die-Hardman just tried to give Sam
    something called a Q-Pid a necklace with metal objects on it, wasn't he already wearing one in the prologue and then was without it up to now
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't answer this if it's a spoiler. I might be just overthinking this minor detail but I'm on chapter 2 now and Die-Hardman just tried to give Sam
    something called a Q-Pid a necklace with metal objects on it, wasn't he already wearing one in the prologue and then was without it up to now
    :confused:

If I remember right,
    it's a new/upgraded one, given that Sam had somewhat retired and is now coming back.

• Advertisement

When you get caught by BTs is it better just to die/reload? Before I died was struggling to get away and BB was at max stress and cargo was ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

You get a birthday cake in the safe house
    Death-Stranding-Birthday-Cake-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

When you get caught by BTs is it better just to die/reload? Before I died was struggling to get away and BB was at max stress and cargo was ruined.

Depends how immersive you want to be. I'm always a fan of living with my mistakes in games.

When I left off last night I was stubbornly trying to get the bike to port knot city even though it became apparent that it might be easier to leave it behind.

EDIT: Well persistence paid off lol,

Something meant to ask I wasn't clear to me in chapter two and maybe gets explained further down the line but I think it was Die-Harman who mentioned something about
    them not being real or that they were copies or something along those line
    Maybe it gets explained a bit later.

So I've a bit of time into this now and just finished up chapter 3. Theres a lot to like about this in terms of characters and the story which is slowly revealing itself.

Not mad about the combat and stealth, they are poo and vehicle handling feels a bit weird and it does suffer from some of the problems TPP did in terms of repetition and the world at times.

Just finished chapter 3 I think.... got
    guns
    so combat might see a change now. Also got lucky with road building and built the first stretch outside lake knot city for massive increases in likes, that seemed to have spurred others into action and the road is half way to south knot city now, which speeds things up nicely.

Finding BT's very stressful at the minute, even with some tools for dealing with them. Mules just get bola and kicked.

Partner walks by there while I'm watching cut-scenes from chapter 5 and remarks that looks like Jill from The Leftovers ? FFS I knew I recognised her from something :D

It's actually impressive the names that got roped into this. Met Conan earlier too.

Got sidetracked for a really long time over the last few evening building a network of ziplines.

Up to chapter 9 now and feel that maybe the end is in sight?

When I left off I had been given plans for a
    quad rocket launcher
    and then told to prepare for
    combat with alrms going off

Guess I should take that massive hint :D

Fished the story and working on the platinum .... for now.

Over all I liked it but the ending and explanations didn't blow me away I was expecting something far more out there. I get what they were going for with the quests and it all worked for the most part. Game really comes into it's own when you hit the mountains and you get your network of ziplines all set up. SO satisfying.

The combat when it came up was rubbish and stealth was pointless. Riot shotgun the mules and cut the cords on the BT's when you get that and arely got caught out by the BT's late game but it was fun throwing level 2 nades at the big lads fully charged.

There are 72 items of gear in the game and the only reason to make maybe 50 of those is for a trophy.

My biggest criticism is that you are meant to be saving America but you get no sense of how many people are still living there, the cities seemed like outposts with a population of 1 or 2 people outside of the start of the game and you don't really get to see much if anything of the cities you visit.

Still it was a unique game and one I'm glad I played for oh 100 hours or so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just finished it and accordingly I played for 55 hours 7 minutes and 12 seconds - insane!

It's a good game but it's not without it's faults. Which are mainly story elements. It's hard to know what's going on at times and it's a bit longer than it needs to be.
    I swear if you were getting a pint with Kojima he'd burn the ear off you without just getting to the point or what needs to be said :pac: he does like to drag on and some elements of his stories are up his own arse!

But that said, for every bad there is good. Definitely recommend Death Stranding to anyone.

So... any tips for someone looking to consider getting this?

Is there something about getting through to chapter 2 asap?

I'd like to play it without spunking time on side mission bolox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So... any tips for someone looking to consider getting this?

Is there something about getting through to chapter 2 asap?

I'd like to play it without spunking time on side mission bolox

The learning curve is extreme, along with the storyline. I didn't _get_ it until the final chapters. It's very frustrating for the first ten hours or so. There's some good instructional videos on YouTube and it's unlike anything I've ever played, but one of the best I have

duploelabs wrote: »
    The learning curve is extreme, along with the storyline. I didn't _get_ it until the final chapters. It's very frustrating for the first ten hours or so. There's some good instructional videos on YouTube and it's unlike anything I've ever played, but one of the best I have

Was I right though about not pricking around in chapter 1? As the missions are available in chapter 2 anyway?

I'd rather not watch a video to avoid spoilers

Chapter 3 is really long, but keep going. Can't say much except that all the effort making roads etc is really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Was I right though about not pricking around in chapter 1? As the missions are available in chapter 2 anyway?

Well I rushed the first couple of chapters because I was frustrated with that curve, but wish I'd spent longer on them so I could get more familiar with the direction which it was taking me.

It's worth playing for the insane imagery and mentalness in story that is Kojima.

I didn't love the gameplay, it seemed at times designed to stop you enjoying yourself. What good are the bikes when there's rock EVERYWHERE, and I don't have time for building roads. Maybe if you like Minecraft you'd be more into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

It's worth playing for the insane imagery and mentalness in story that is Kojima.

I didn't love the gameplay, it seemed at times designed to stop you enjoying yourself. What good are the bikes when there's rock EVERYWHERE, and I don't have time for building roads. Maybe if you like Minecraft you'd be more into it.

The initial road building isn't too bad, once the area is in the chiral network, other players contributions mean they're quick to build. Those pre-mountain roads help you avoid areas and awkward terrain. The later roads cost so much and provide little benefit, it's probably not worth it.

bugs wrote: »
    The initial road building isn't too bad, once the area is in the chiral network, other players contributions mean they're quick to build. Those pre-mountain roads help you avoid areas and awkward terrain. The later roads cost so much and provide little benefit, it's probably not worth it.

Did you finish it out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

fixXxer wrote: »
    Did you finish it out of curiosity?

I did. I even fully restored the road builder near the novelists son (as unlocking his area was proving tricky). No big fanfare, no achievement, nothing. But the road itself isn't much use then anyway, zip line networks work better for everything except multiple drops or hugely heavy loads.

bugs wrote: »
    I did. I even fully restored the road builder near the novelists son (as unlocking his area was proving tricky). No big fanfare, no achievement, nothing. But the road itself isn't much use then anyway, zip line networks work better for everything except multiple drops or hugely heavy loads.

I found
    when you had to head back to Capital Knot City during the mega storm at the end, the roads had survived a lot better then the zip lines, so I was pretty pleased I'd spent all that time putting them together.

• Advertisement

2 will have a lot of side mission bollox and there will be a point of no return message when you try to move into chapter 3 but you can get back to chap 2 area end game. 3 introduces new gameplay mechanics and equipment that really helps traversing the environment so i recommend getting to 3 ASAP. 3 is long but our lets you get to grasp with gameplay before the story really starts kicking in in chapters 4, 5 and 6. Enjoy!

Advertisement