Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    2 will have a lot of side mission bollox and there will be a point of no return message when you try to move into chapter 3 but you can get back to chap 2 area end game. 3 introduces new gameplay mechanics and equipment that really helps traversing the environment so i recommend getting to 3 ASAP. 3 is long but our lets you get to grasp with gameplay before the story really starts kicking in in chapters 4, 5 and 6. Enjoy!

Ok sound thanks dude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So... any tips for someone looking to consider getting this?

Is there something about getting through to chapter 2 asap?

I'd like to play it without spunking time on side mission bolox

At the end of chapter 2 it asks you do you wish to continue on or stick around completing things in chapter 2. It's just side missions. You can always go back later and complete them if you wanted. As you said tho not that you would.

Chapters 1 and 2 are tutorial levels of sorts. As Chapter 3 is when the game really opens up. When I say tutorial it's more so the game is smaller in scale to get you used to things then the core game comes about.

Out of the 50 hours ish gameplay I did about 25-30% side missions then just focused on main missions. So set a side a month or two to complete this. I spent two months playing here and there.

Story doesn't make a lot of sense at times. You will understand more in the last 10 hours.

I'd say it's GOTY 2019. It's gameplay is quite different. Am a but sad it's finally over.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not sure I could recommend it to someone.

I'm glad I played it, the story beats, music etc but there's alot of grinding and you'd have to be the sort who has patience for Kojima's nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Out tomorrow on PC. I folded and bought it. Bored to tears by Last of Us 2 so looking for something different even if I'll probably be bored to tears by this as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Out tomorrow on PC. I folded and bought it. Bored to tears by Last of Us 2 so looking for something different even if I'll probably be bored to tears by this as well :D

You're probably gonna hate it but on the off chance you do connect with it, it's gonna be a special experience. Looking forward to picking it up again in the future and going for the platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    You're probably gonna hate it but on the off chance you do connect with it, it's gonna be a special experience. Looking forward to picking it up again in the future and going for the platinum.

I can deal with frustration and poor game design if the game is interesting.... so we will see. Kind of looking forward to finding out if I hate it!

PC port looks to be excellent at least:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-death-stranding-pc-60fps-was-the-original-vision

I can deal with frustration and poor game design if the game is interesting.... so we will see. Kind of looking forward to finding out if I hate it!

PC port looks to be excellent at least:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-death-stranding-pc-60fps-was-the-original-vision

It was a weird one for me, i had zero hype going into and then near launch figured I'd give it a go. Then saw reviews from people close to Kojima that were basically saying it was very boring and not much game in there. My expectations were rock bottom but i loved it. Even just the mechanic of traversing the environment, makes other games feel **** in comparison.

Anyway, get to chapter 3 asap, that's where the gameplay really opens up. If you're feeling bogged down or bored of deliveries, sick to the mains and get to chap 5 to open up the story. I personally loved the deliveries, found them very addictive.

Retro will be on by the weekend bemoaning peoples placement of ziplines and them not contributing to the roads :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Starting to pre-load this now.
    I have a a feeling this game is going reinforce my belief that Hideo Kojima is both simultaneously the best video game maker in the world and also the worst.

Metal Gear Solid V being a prime example.
    Really enjoyable gameplay versus "what is this sh*t storyline".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There's no way Retr0 will enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I haven't pre-ordered a game in the longest time, but I picked this up last week ahead of today's launch cause I've seen enough of it on the PS4 whilst a friend was playing to think it's gonna be a far more enjoyable experience with a proper platform. Does anyone know what time it becomes playable?

Shiminay wrote: »
    I haven't pre-ordered a game in the longest time, but I picked this up last week ahead of today's launch cause I've seen enough of it on the PS4 whilst a friend was playing to think it's gonna be a far more enjoyable experience with a proper platform. Does anyone know what time it becomes playable?

3 pm BST last I checked.

This and Halo 3 today. I hope the weather is ****e

Who am I kidding I won't be leaving my PC once I get home from work whatever the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I also picked it up because I'm bored od the last of us 2.

I really expect to dislike it and will be pleasantly supried if I find it fun.

First impressed are how much better it looks running at a decent frame rate!
    It plays a bit odd with mouse, it's not a game designed for doing 180 or 360 spins. I'm going to plug in a controller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

WFC8Kgq.png

Steam stream on right now for it: https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561199020432912

Can't chat unless you purchased it. Nobody talking about the DRM obviously.

I also picked it up because I'm bored od the last of us 2.

I really expect to dislike it and will be pleasantly supried if I find it fun.

First impressed are how much better it looks running at a decent frame rate!
    It plays a bit odd with mouse, it's not a game designed for doing 180 or 360 spins. I'm going to plug in a controller

I actually started to enjoy the last of us 2 :D but I'm early in. If it's as long as people say I'll probably grow sick of it.

As for this game.... 2 hours in and I don't know wtf is going on. Taking a Halo 3 shaped break!

Digital Foundry tech analysis

It's a solid port, I'm happy with that aspect. I didn't know Kojima checks in with valve every once in a while, I figured he only had a real interest in Sony's consoles.
    So far I'm enjoying it, I'm just not sure if I will still fell the same way in a 20 hours or so.

Seems like an excellent port. Runs great although I've had one hard crash to desktop.

As for the game..... I've only finished Chapter 2 so basically the tutorial but it already the story seems like baffling pretentious ****e.

Seems like an excellent port. Runs great although I've had one hard crash to desktop.

As for the game..... I've only finished Chapter 2 so basically the tutorial but it already the story seems like baffling pretentious ****e.

Oh the story is super nonsense and only really kicks in around chap 5 or 6. I think by chap 7, I was all in with the story and just played main missions to see how it would play out. Chapter 3 opens up new gameplay mechanics making traversing easier and faster, lots of fun putting the world back together but if you feel it's dragging, just move on with main missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh Mama.... if you already feel the story is pretentious you need to have some heart, man, or you're going to end up feeling quite fragile. You'd have to be a dead man not to appreciate the strands of story throughout.

....Die-Hardman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How bad are the cutscenes in this? Thinking of splashing out on PC for something different but I really have no patience for game stories and even less for watching hours of Kojima cutscenes. Am I going to be driven demented by the story or is it easy enough to just 'play'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How bad are the cutscenes in this? Thinking of splashing out on PC for something different but I really have no patience for game stories and even less for watching hours of Kojima cutscenes. Am I going to be driven demented by the story or is it easy enough to just 'play'

The first few hours are very cutscene heavy. After that, far less, usually just chapter starts and ends but a lot of gameplay in those chapters (Chapter 3 onwards), but when they do happen they can go on for quite a bit.

For how utterly ridiculous the story is the cutscenes at least have never been boring. It's also funny that to think what was going through these actors minds when they were asked to say some of these lines.

They haven't really gotten in the way of me enjoying the game like the opening of Last of Us 2. I'm still intrigued enough to keep going with it.

I quite enjoyed the cutscenes. And this from someone who fell asleep during an MGS 4 cutscene just to wake up to a 'Press start to continue' message which seemed to continue the cutscene. Like that fecker Kojima knew I had dozed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If you can go along with the utterly bonkers story, the cutscenes are actually quite good and very pretty at times.

The end of the game is basically a 2 hour cutscene and there are some really really good scenes in there.
    Penn wrote: »
    The first few hours are very cutscene heavy. After that, far less, usually just chapter starts and ends but a lot of gameplay in those chapters (Chapter 3 onwards), but when they do happen they can go on for quite a bit.

Yea this game has significantly longer stretches of gameplay than any other Kojima game. Chapter 3 (or maybe 4) is probably about 40-50% of the entire game and barely has any.

Felt the intro had a decent gameplay to cutscene ratio that it wasn't aggrevating. And the cutscenes while utter nonsense are entertaining at least. There's no watching eggs fry like in MGS4.

So far.

Felt the intro had a decent gameplay to cutscene ratio that it wasn't aggrevating. And the cutscenes while utter nonsense are entertaining at least. There's no watching eggs fry like in MGS4.

So far.

There will be times when some characters won't shut the **** up whilst dumping exposition but its (relatively) rare

Let's face it, Kojima is living in an echo chamber where nobody would dare say no to his ideas no matter how bonkers they are.
    As nasty a company as Konami are at least they probably gave him a reality check ever once in a while.
    I watched the press video release for the PC verion and he just waffeled on about some movie and soundtrack he was currently enjoying.

He has a very enthusiastic taste for god awful Hollywood dreck.

His best games were when he wasn't flying high and surrounded by yes men. I think he is an amazing game designer but needs to park his writing ambitions. I can only imagine the amazing game he would produce if he just hired Amy Hennig or similar.

• Advertisement

Let's face it, Kojima is living in an echo chamber where nobody would dare say no to his ideas no matter how bonkers they are.
    As nasty a company as Konami are at least they probably gave him a reality check ever once in a while.
    I watched the press video release for the PC verion and he just waffeled on about some movie and soundtrack he was currently enjoying.

Yea his games are self-indulgent and barely make any sense, but they at the very least are unique, which is rare in big-budget games.

Like I can't see Ubisoft making a game where you have a foetus in a jar plugged into you so you could see half dead monsters.

Advertisement