Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It plays a bit odd with mouse, it's not a game designed for doing 180 or 360 spins. I'm going to plug in a controller

I think this is one of the few where analog controller will actually work better than MKB (and I generally hate controllers), the balance system will feel more natural I think.

I'm looking forward to replaying this with better fidelity and FPS but will probably wait until it's on sale, have a few others in the backlog. Still, sooooo tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shiminay wrote: »
    I haven't pre-ordered a game in the longest time, but I picked this up last week ahead of today's launch cause I've seen enough of it on the PS4 whilst a friend was playing to think it's gonna be a far more enjoyable experience with a proper platform. Does anyone know what time it becomes playable?

The game looked and played well on ps4, I really don't think performance is going to affect your enjoyment of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

noodler wrote: »
    The game looked and played well on ps4, I really don't think performance is going to affect your enjoyment of it tbh

Yea unless you are strictly 60 FPS only (which is fair I suppose), the game looked perfectly good on PS4, particularly the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Oh the story is super nonsense and only really kicks in around chap 5 or 6. I think by chap 7, I was all in with the story and just played main missions to see how it would play out. Chapter 3 opens up new gameplay mechanics making traversing easier and faster, lots of fun putting the world back together but if you feel it's dragging, just move on with main missions.

You know what, I'll actually say the story is quite decent but the premise is bonkers.

It should have been a shorter game and I'm ati unsure about deliveries as a standalone game mechanic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    Yea unless you are strictly 60 FPS only (which is fair I suppose), the game looked perfectly good on PS4, particularly the Pro.

60 FPS makes every game play soooo much better.

But at least Death Stranding was a near rock solid 30 FPS throughout on PS4. Kojima studios pulling off some voodoo magic there. 30 FPS isn't so bad as long as it's consistent.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    60 FPS makes every game play soooo much better.

But at least Death Stranding was a near rock solid 30 FPS throughout on PS4. Kojima studios pulling off some voodoo magic there. 30 FPS isn't so bad as long as it's consistent.

Yea I am the same, always prefer 60 FPS but I am fine with 30 as long as it is rock solid.

One of the best things about the current generation of consoles is that most games stuck to their 30 fps target much more closely than the generation before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

60 is a bit on the low side, death stranding is really nice at 90/100 fps
    The game is not overly demanding so great for people with high refresh monitors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I always appreciate 60 FPS plus frame rates and love my 144hz PC gaming, but yeah the PS4 version always was surprisingly smooth for me within its limitations. Same with TLOU2, actually. I’ll take performance over resolution most of the time, but if 30FPS is smooth and consistent I’ll put up with and often barely notice it. It’s only when you get into tearing, frame-pacing and janky FPS issues that I really struggle these days. It’s why I’ll almost always go for third party or 3D indie games on PC wherever possible - by and large first person releases tend to have that extra polish put in to ensure things are smooth.

I always appreciate 60 FPS plus frame rates and love my 144hz PC gaming, but yeah the PS4 version always was surprisingly smooth for me within its limitations. Same with TLOU2, actually. I’ll take performance over resolution most of the time, but if 30FPS is smooth and consistent I’ll put up with and often barely notice it. It’s only when you get into tearing, frame-pacing and janky FPS issues that I really struggle these days. It’s why I’ll almost always go for third party or 3D indie games on PC wherever possible - by and large first person releases tend to have that extra polish put in to ensure things are smooth.

I'm somewhat flexible on framerate and frame-pacing, but if I see one screen tear I am quitting the game and uninstalling it there and then. Cannot put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

30 fps is the correct decision for the PS4 currently, it's old hardware and is still doing well visually all things considered.
    They make promises about 60 fps console gaming every generation but despite the very capable specification of the PS5 I think we are looking at another generation of mostly 30 fps.

• Advertisement

Aye. Both consoles are coming in around 2080ti tflops, it's not the whole picture but even on those as a base guide 4k@60hz is dependant on the game. Some are fine others can start to drop (I average around 50-55 fps in The Division 2 for example with it maxed at 4K). Horizontal advances like DLSS (or similar) may help overcome that we'll have to see. But the current projected raw horsepower does not guarantee 4k@60Hz. I think for most Console games it's not as big a deal, they are designed around lower FPS and the controller so mitigate the gameplay impact of the performance level internally. For FPS, no, the loss of response and the mechanisms used to mitigate it just aren't worth it imho. So it'll be nice if they standardise the Performance vs. Visual choices many already have for the PS4/Pro at the moment, with a standard 60Hz or more config with the click of a button.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just starting playing the first hour.

My first impressions are "what?"

My second impressions are also "what?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Azza wrote: »
    Just starting playing the first hour.

My first impressions are "what?"

My second impressions are also "what?"

As I said earlier in this thread, the story line and learning curve are about as linear as a Boreen in Kerry, however when it clicks it clicks

Whatever people might think of the story as that can be subjective I thought the in game currency being
    likes and thumbs ups
    was pretty clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So initial thoughts are technically it runs well 1440p maxed settings dlss quality on a 2070 ryxen5 3600x floats around 100fps. Dlss is impressive at the moment as I've found it very blurry in past games like bf5. This is flawless but so far apart from a bleak landscape there's not really much going on on screen when you're playing.

Story wise it's a load of bollox as I expected but whatever. Cutdcenes are heavy enough to annoy me but not massively so far.

Gameplay, the small bit I've experienced in an hour seems pretty chill and easy to get along with. Controls on k+m seem fine.

Big shout out to the glaring monster product placement. Post apocalyptic world but we'll be sure to keep these cans prominently in shot during a cut scene.

Question, might have been answered elsewhere but am I potentially missing out on plot points by taking shortcuts gifted by other players? For example I'm bring 'something' to an incinerator and the map shows what I imagine the right way but some dude called Igor has nicely left me some ropes and ladders which got me over some impassable terrain to shortcut me on my way but am I potentially missing out by not going the way the game intended me to?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Question, might have been answered elsewhere but am I potentially missing out on plot points by taking shortcuts gifted by other players? For example I'm bring 'something' to an incinerator and the map shows what I imagine the right way but some dude called Igor has nicely left me some ropes and ladders which got me over some impassable terrain to shortcut me on my way but am I potentially missing out by not going the way the game intended me to?

Nope, that's like an intro into the world of helping each other. That's the guy you meet at the start, if you don't use it, you are just looking at a more difficult trek up that hill. Once chap 3 gets going, you'll see similar items scattered around by real players in their own game world that ye kind of share. TIP: Use any item you can find! You'll be doing enough trekking around the map throughout the game and the game wants you to use these items and in return, drop items for other players.

When you use a utensil that another player has left, you automatically leave one like or can add more, these likes then advances the progression of the player who left the ladder or rope or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As you progress a bit further in the game, you won't see or be able to use things left by other players until you've connected that area to the network (done via main missions), so you'll almost always have to go the general way the game wants you to go and use all your own equipment/tools. Once that area is connected to the network though you're free to use anything left by other players. Even then, generally where things are left by other players like ropes/ladders etc, that is the way you're supposed to be going anyway, they've just left their items behind to help others.

Blergh game has crashed twice in a row now with a 'violation error' straight after the incinerator
    it seems getting too close to a BT does it
    . Maybe it's the games way of telling me I'm going the wrong way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So initial thoughts are technically it runs well 1440p maxed settings dlss quality on a 2070 ryxen5 3600x floats around 100fps. Dlss is impressive at the moment as I've found it very blurry in past games like bf5. This is flawless but so far apart from a bleak landscape there's not really much going on on screen when you're playing.

Story wise it's a load of bollox as I expected but whatever. Cutdcenes are heavy enough to annoy me but not massively so far.

Gameplay, the small bit I've experienced in an hour seems pretty chill and easy to get along with. Controls on k+m seem fine.

Big shout out to the glaring monster product placement. Post apocalyptic world but we'll be sure to keep these cans prominently in shot during a cut scene.

I have a similar set up with a 3700x and 5700XT and and am running at 1440p. Frame rate was very high, typically in the 110-130FPS and sometimes even hitting my max refresh rate of 165FPS. But I noticed screen pauses as the frame rate would drop 30-40 frames in one go. Got me thinking Freesync wasn't working and V-Sync was on instead. Switched off V-Sync and capped the FPS at 144 with the in game limiter and played around with the settings in the graphics control panel. Seems to have improved somewhat but I'm thinking the drops are so large and so sudden the judder can't even be hidden by Freesync and if I want to get rid of them I'll need to cap the FPS to 60.

Still other than that its looking good overall with no crashes. Graphics wyse the game looks good. Colours are somewhat muted, but at least the PC version didn't skip on using HDR. Aliasing is a moderate issue, I don't have access to DLSS but I hear its implementation is great in this, better image quality with reconstruction than native resolution.

PC version looks very nice, and the Pro version was no slouch. Could be a nice preview of the PS5 version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC version looks very nice, and the Pro version was no slouch. Could be a nice preview of the PS5 version.

There's not a whole lot different t be honest. It's all the same assets and post processing just at a higher resolution and framerate.

I'm surprised how nicely the game runs on modest hardware. Just goes to show how weak the PS4 hardware is in comparison to the PC and how underutilised the PC is when there's games as good looking as this, TLOU2 and GoW on PS4 hardware. It's also a credit to Sony's engineers that their engines run so well even when transplanted to another system. Digital Foundries analysis showed that the game was maxing out all the cores at about 90% of a PC CPU, that's some insane parallelization and optimisation. Would not be surprised if the rest of Sony's first party internal engines are this well coded.

Would not rule out the game getting raytracing update at some point and then rolling that out to the PS5.

Digital Foundry over on Eurogamer did a tech breakdown of the PC version.

Graphically very little changed, just improved LOD's and anisotropic filtering. the main difference is frame rate and the ability to render a native 4K as opposed to the PS4 Pro's checkerboard rendering (assuming you have a high end PC).

Still its a very nice looking game.

Are you playing in Ultrawide Retro?

Azza wrote: »
    Are you playing in Ultrawide Retro?

Nope, my 1070 is just about getting 60 FPS on 1440p. If I go to ultrawide I'd have to drop to 30 FPS (my monitor will only do ultra wide at 3440 x 1440) and prefer the better framerate.

It's a shame as I'd say this game would look stunning in ultra wide.

Just remember folks, real gamers build roads (let the addiction begin)

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Just remember folks, real gamers build roads (let the addiction begin)

Keep on keeping on

The menus and all the screens and confirmations you have to go through every time you interact with a terminal or cargo be it recycling or fabricating etc or picking up/dropping a mission is absolutely wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The menus and all the screens and confirmations you have to go through every time you interact with a terminal or cargo be it recycling or fabricating etc or picking up/dropping a mission is absolutely wearing.

Tis' a bit much.
    I have always skipped them. Just keep jamming the button. Don't think I ever truly looked at them not even once :pac:

Advertisement