Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tis' a bit much.
    I have always skipped them. Just keep jamming the button. Don't think I ever truly looked at them not even once :pac:

I skip as well but it's non stop. There's so much unimportant stuff you've to skip constantly and then you'll get a cut scene. I've just gotten to lake knot city and whilst I exaggerate I feel like the game had been about 65% cutscenes and pointless stuff I've to skip Vs actually playing. I'm losing patience with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I skip as well but it's non stop. There's so much unimportant stuff you've to skip constantly and then you'll get a cut scene. I've just gotten to lake knot city and whilst I exaggerate I feel like the game had been about 65% cutscenes and pointless stuff I've to skip Vs actually playing. I'm losing patience with it.

What's with constantly having to hold a button down for a few seconds to do something. I was actually really enjoying chapter 1 and 2, people say it really opens up in chapter 3. Sure I have roads and vehicles now but it's the same menus and cut scenes over and over.

And combat is simplistic... Simple parry mechanic and you can overcome an entire camp with a rope or the big scary BTs just throw a grenade but you can't do that from a bike no sir so ride, wait for the BT detected animation to f*ck off, get off bike animation, throw grenade, watch the event longer getting on bike animation, ride 10 metres and then repeat until you're out of the area or the path is wide enough to just ride around and ignore them.

I wouldn't be annoyed if there wasn't a great game in there somewhere but there is.
    Clearly Kojima listened to no inside or outside feedback on this. Play testers must have reported on the tedium of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Shame people not enjoying it. Honestly have it as one of my GOTY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

fixXxer wrote: »

It is a weird game, I absolutely loved it but I could never recommend it to someone.

Chapter 3, which makes up almost half the game, contains extremely long stretches of gameplay with no cutscenes.

I don't mind the game. I just haven't gotten to play a lot of it yet and I'm frustrated by silly rubbish that I personally feel is a hangover from it's console origins and being gimped by being designed around a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's just one of those things, it's not for everyone but if you're lucky enough to be all in with it, it's a very very special game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It and MGS4 are proof that Kojima needs people around him to say no to him to focus his narrative ambitions.

Or just hire and fecking writer and give them your ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Stealing from a thread on the Steam discussions but some Super-Utrawide (or other non-standard res) hacks. I tried this last night and while there is some fish-eye on the perimeter it's about the same as most games where you are pushing the FoV, and overall still looks great.

1. Open Program HxD > Click File and Open ds.exe
    2. Ctrl+R > Click "Hex-values" > Click Search Direction "All" > Write 55 55 15 40 in Search for,
    3. Replace with Hex value of your Resolution's Aspect Ratio , Here are some common resolutions:

2560x1080 = 26 B4 17 40
    3440x1440 = 8E E3 18 40
    3840x1080 = 39 8E 63 40
    3840x1440 = AB AA 2A 40
    3840x1600 = 9A 99 19 40
    3840x1620 = 26 B4 17 40
    5120x1440 = 39 8E 63 40
    5120x2160 = 26 B4 17 40
    6880x2880 = 8E E3 18 40

4. Click Replace All

5. Save and Play

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It and MGS4 are proof that Kojima needs people around him to say no to him to focus his narrative ambitions.

Or just hire and fecking writer and give them your ideas.

Exactly his ego needs to be kept in check.
    He's a good designer, he's a good director but he's a poor writer.
    He thinks he is a master in all these areas.

I'm still enjoying Death Stranding for what it is but it is just like MGS4, a flawed masterpiece.

To me he's like Stephen King. Amazing ideas and vision, but badly needs an editor although some people love the self indulgence and that's cool too.

I'd still call myself a fan.

To me he's like Stephen King. Amazing ideas and vision, but badly needs an editor although some people love the self indulgence and that's cool too.

I'd still call myself a fan.

Ha fair assessment, I've still haven't forgiven King for writing himself into the Dark Tower books. His stuff usually goes one of two ways, great story and rubbish ending or the other way around.

My newest least favourite thing is the juuuust too long animation for getting in and out of a truck.

When it comes to illusive/mystery man who smoks fags, Martin Sheen was better.

Does anyone else have the problem where it is auto aims on mouse and keyboard. In combat all I have to do is walk forward and press fire and I win?

When it comes to illusive/mystery man who smoks fags, Martin Sheen was better.

Does anyone else have the problem where it is auto aims on mouse and keyboard. In combat all I have to do is walk forward and press fire and I win?

You might have other weapons to me but I've the bola and I can't say I notice an auto aim but it'd be impossible to miss with it anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well I finished the storyline.

As I went through extremely long unskippably long end credits sequence I knew the game wasn't over but all I could think during it was Kojima don't do it...for the love of god don't do it...show some restraint man...don't you dare do it...you're gonna do it aren't you...

You're going have insist on having a second unskippably long end credit sequence aren't you!

A couple of hours later.
    "I F***ING KNEW IT!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Azza wrote: »
    Well I finished the storyline.

As I went through extremely long unskippably long end credits sequence I knew the game wasn't over but all I could think during it was Kojima don't do it...for the love of god don't do it...show some restraint man...don't you dare do it...you're gonna do it aren't you...

You're going have insist on having a second unskippably long end credit sequence aren't you!

A couple of hours later.
    "I F***ING KNEW IT!"

Yea the ending sequence was long AF but it was brilliant

Markitron wrote: »
    Yea the ending sequence was long AF but it was brilliant

Brilliant would not be my choice of words.

There didn't need to be that first credit sequence. He could have still have played out the gameplay sequence that occurs during it but sticking in the credits there was just to remind people in case they forgot who made the game.

Overall the story was pretentious nonsense as many have already pointed out.

Its still a game worth playing in my opinion and I'll give marks to Kojima for uniqueness but holy smokes is he full of himself.

Azza wrote: »
    Its still a game worth playing in my opinion and I'll give marks to Kojima for uniqueness but holy smokes is he full of himself.

He always was, remember how many times his name was in the credits for the original metal gear solid?

• Advertisement

LOL or how each mission in Metal Gear Solid V had a credit sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I thought it was a good idea the way the ending was done.
    In theory Sam was stuck there for all eternity with nothing to do and no where to go. You get a small glimpse of that as the player with the way the ending was structured. You think its bad now? Imagine being stuck like this forever with no way to die or get out.

In theory Sam was stuck there for all eternity with nothing to do and no where to go. You get a small glimpse of that as the player with the way the ending was structured. You think its bad now? Imagine being stuck like this forever with no way to die or get out.

I get that, that's what the intention of developers was. They went for that at the risk of boring people. Which is fine. Some people will appreciate the scene and some will find it boring, though if you made it that far you probably won't find it boring.

But why stick in credits there when they ran the credits again an hour or so later. Which also raises the question, did they extend that sequence just to accommodate the credits.

Thinking of picking this up again (€25 in CEX) and going for the platinum. Anyone who has the plat, was it an enjoyable feat at least? I loved the deliveries but it it super grindy?

Picked it, overwhelmed with all the stuff on the map and not remembering anything. Did a few deliveries and getting back into the swing of things. Damn, i forgot how relaxing the game was. I also realised i never met Geoff and one of the trophies is to get everyone online, better take a trip to the bollix.

Seriously neef a tips and tricks fresher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I started this after seeing Limmys love for it.
    Only on the opening few chapters now so still setting the story out for me.
    The mechanics of walking are interesting and the inertia when carrying loads of items is taking time to get used to.
    The BTs are scary fookers. Just quietly making my way around them at the moment.

I platinum-ed it, Steam clock is showing 106.6 hours in game but you can subtract a couple of hours for pauses and for playing on a few extra hours after I got all the achievements.
    I heard reports that people where completing everything in around 60-65 hours. I didn't rush or anything but I wasn't slow either so 60-65 hours doesn't seem right to me.

As for grindy, its a bit of a tricky one to say. If the gameplay you needed to go through in order to platinum the game was in any other game you would call it grindy, but here its just a continuation of the games core gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

A bit like
    Roland in The Dark Tower

A bit like
    Roland in The Dark Tower

Ka is indeed a wheel after all :)

I'm actually re-reading... listening to the audiobooks at the minute and up to wizard and glass and by god it's hard work now knowing what's to come when himself writes himself in.

• Advertisement

I forgot how addictive the orders were, took me a while to finish up as it kept being "1 more delivery". I am clearing up Eastern Region at the moment, spent very little time here as i got to chap 3 as quick as i could. Can't believe i missed the harmonica from the musician and can play bb's theme anytime i want. Have a nice little network of ziplines going, making things nice and easy.

I know people say Kojima needs to be reigned in but this story really gets me, not just the story but his "let's make connections" which i thought sounded like Bollox but it's really satisfying meeting these holograms and rebuilding their lives.

Advertisement