Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I still don't know what to make of this, and I don't care any more. Gonna wait for player reviews, because I think this will be one of those more artistic games which just don't click with me.

Saying that, hearing the Japanese voice acting would nearly make me get it. Everything is better with a Japanese VO!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Conan O Brien is an npc in the game

It gets weirder by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Maybe Kojima is winding people up again.
    He did it with MGS2 years ago. He did it recent enough with MGS5. Maybe what we are seeing isn't the full game. I expect some sort of troll outta him however big or small.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Spent the last couple of hours catching up on everything released about this so far.

Really admire the idea he’s going for with this and turning a game into a sort of social network, but the actual gameplay and exploration just looks very.....stressful, I suppose? Having to watch your every step and keep control of your balance, manage your cargo load and keep the baby happy, not getting too wet...I could go on. Fighting the Catchers looks interesting but a tad clunky at the same time.

I get the feeling it all clicks into place once you play it for a few hours and get the hang of the mechanics, but I fear many would give up on it pretty early and I could see that happening to myself too. Been seriously burned out on gaming for a little while now bar some light multiplayer stuff to pass the evenings, so I’m not sure about investing a lot of time into what appears to be a very fleshed out courier simulator.

But then again, it has Mads Mikkelsen as the fully mo-capped and voice acted antagonist. How could it not be amazing based on just that alone? You literally couldn’t cast a better villain than him, the story should be pretty special if anyone can make sense of it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Conan O Brien is an npc in the game

Accounts Department: So with the budget Sony has allocated to us we have some headroom to include some celebrity cameos in the game. Who would you like us to contact as potential candidates.

Kojima: Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Conan met the man himself at his offices:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well....months of rumours come true.

Confirmed for a PC release next summer.

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1188787623965401088

Was juggling the decision to try pre-order and trade in at Gamestop or use some of the CEX credit I had stocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Ordered this on the Game Collection the other night. Have purposely stayed away from all videos / trailers etc so going in almost completely blind. Excited to play a Kojima game where I sense the shackles might be off a bit and there is a bit of creative energy gone into it, MGS5 felt jaded.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be the most polarizing game in recent memory?
    Review Embargo lifts Friday, the fun starts then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I think I'll ask Santa for this. I want to play it but I'm afraid of wasting my own money on Kojima gone wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not watching the trailer, unsure if I'm buying it yet but what is the thinking in an 8 minute trailer? Presumably a rake of plot is shown in it?

Less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I want this game to be one of the best the PS4 has to offer.... But I'm skeptical it will be.

Wish the review embargo would lift right now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

So watched the 8 minute trailer, not too much spoiler in there. In fact I still don't know what the f#ck I pre-ordered :-) The trailer makes it look like an amazing sci-fi film, but not much gameplay. Has me excited still ... Bring on the weirdness!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭klose

Review embargo lifted today (in less than an hour I believe) was pretty hyped for this game when it was announced and the subsequent year or two after it but got fed up with the complete lack of any info about what the hell actually was going on in the game so haven't even batted an eye at it since the start if the year so let's so how the reviews go!

Pure Flop!

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review

IGN - 6.8

It was looking that way tbh

"If Death Stranding sounds like a series of glorified fetch quests, it’s because that’s exactly what it is."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Pure Flop!

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review

IGN - 6.8

It was looking that way tbh

"If Death Stranding sounds like a series of glorified fetch quests, it’s because that’s exactly what it is."
    Gamespot gave it a 9.

It's got 84 on metacritic, hardly a "flop", unless you value IGN above everyone else.

Seems like a really divisive game, overall.

Me personally, if it reads like its boring, repetitive and doesn't respect my time then I will avoid it.
    The cutscenses are also meant to be MGS4 in length :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thought id watch the launch trailer there,its 8 minutes long:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eurogamer review says it's a glorious mess. Sounds like my kind of game. I'm fond of Kojima games outside of his metal gear work but it seems he is surrounded yet again by yes men and went a bit overboard here. He needs directors and planners to say no to his stupider ideas.... and I hope he got a script editor as well.

With all the bland boring open world games out there at the moment it's good to see a game like this take chances. Looks at least interesting unlike the snoozefest of Days Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    . Looks at least interesting unlike the snoozefest of Days Gone.

Can't wait for Boards GOTY awards just to vote for Days Gone in every category, what an awesome ****ing game!

As for DS, definitely sounds worthy of a playthrough just for the experience, sounds too interesting not to play but gonna hold out a while, maybe give it a go over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is a positive IMO. MGSV had great cut scenes but they were too short with the story being relegated to audio logs.

I don't mind cutscene length as long as they're not boring. I remember actually falling asleep during an MGS 4 cutscene. Woke up to a 'press button to continue' screen only for a new cutscene to start. Like it new I'd fallen asleep and waited for me to wake up before continuing.

This is a positive IMO. MGSV had great cut scenes but they were too short with the story being relegated to audio logs.

Ah here MGS4 cut-scenes were ridiculous, one of them being about 40 minutes long

And I really like the gameplay in MGS4 but Kojima took the absolute piss with the story delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

As decisive as it gets, a few quotes from metacritic

Death Stranding is an irredeemable piece of garbage that should serve as a warning to publishers who give developers carte blanche to create ‘art’.

I was hooked from the first time I saw the title screen until the credits rolled 72 hours later. Death Stranding is immensely satisfying, and everything I could have hoped for and more from Kojima Productions.

A bloated, showy post-apocalyptic melodrama that makes a meal of some engrossing mechanics and themes.

Also IGN spain gave it a 87 and IGN Italy gave it a 90 so subjective and all that

I'll fit it in over the Christmas, to interesting not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I have been reading through a handful of reviews and the narrative seems to be the same that the game has lot of pacing issues with an repetitive mission structure and that can feel very tedious with a lot of annoying moments the player has to get through in order to see some of the games best moments .

I noticed some of the reviews do not line up with the scores provided like Easy Allies complained about the game for a good 7 mins in their 10 mins review video but still rewarded the game an 8/10

Kinda Funny and Danny O'Dwyer used a phrase which I don't quite agree with that the game is boring and that's ok and that games don't need to be fun

If a game designer is asking for 70-80 hours of my time I hope to have some enjoyment of what I am doing rather than trying to find a hidden meaning in a convoluted story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It looks shít lads.

Advertisement