Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I might pick it up in a sale down the line, but not feeling the love for it based on those reviews (even the positive ones).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The sheer length concerns me, but the descriptions of an extravagant AAA walking / job simulator that’s boring on purpose suggest it is extremely my jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I would imagine a good few people will rush out and buy this Day 1, and being as divisive as its sounding the likes of CeX will be flooded with copies. Definitely not something I'll be rushing out to buy. I'd put more value in players comment on forums once its out as opposed to actual review which seem to vary wildly in their opinion of the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is a positive IMO. MGSV had great cut scenes but they were too short with the story being relegated to audio logs.

God no, MGS4's cutscenes helped kill that game. The third chapter on twisted the knife in the **** sandwich. I never want to waste time with a game like that again.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Can't wait for Boards GOTY awards just to vote for Days Gone in every category, what an awesome ****ing game!

As for DS, definitely sounds worthy of a playthrough just for the experience, sounds too interesting not to play but gonna hold out a while, maybe give it a go over Christmas.

Well it's not a bad game in fairness, just not a great one. I just found it's banal mediocrity and how safe it was so utterly boring. Even if Death Stranding bores me at least it's trying something different and that excites me far more than Days Gone, the painfully adequate open world zombie game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone who likes some good video game writing, check out Heather Alexandria’s deep dive on this over on Kotaku. Really takes the time to wrestle with the things the game is trying to do. Just a great piece of critical writing.:

https://kotaku.com/death-stranding-the-kotaku-review-1839474313

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Kinda Funny and Danny O'Dwyer used a phrase which I don't quite agree with that the game is boring and that's ok and that games don't need to be fun

If a game designer is asking for 70-80 hours of my time I hope to have some enjoyment of what I am doing rather than trying to find a hidden meaning in a convoluted story.

I could go along with that statement. The best movie I've seen this year was The Joker and that was pretty much the opposite of fun.

I'm actually more excited about the game now than I was from the trailers, the delivery gameplay sounds like they've done something really new and different with the realistic approach to prepping and hiking, and it sounds like something I could chill out to.

However my big worry is where it all goes a bit silent hill, I don't want my relaxing walk to get interrupted by an abundance of jump scares, I get way too stressed out by those kind of games.

Still a must buy for me, looking forward to getting immersed in some incomprehensible Kojima narrative, it's been a while.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't deserve to play this, I'm still too ashamed of my words and deeds since MGS5! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Doesn't look like a game for me. I don't get enough time to play these days and I don't see much to interest me in these fetch quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So is it a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It looks shlads.

that's the kind of review I'm interested in. Concise and to the point, no need to struggle through walls of text and then have to try and decipher the conclusion.
    also in relation to cut scenes the only ones I've ever been interested in are
    - Aeris' death
    - TLOU from beginning to end
    - skippable ones

• Advertisement

The sheer length concerns me, but the descriptions of an extravagant AAA walking / job simulator that’s boring on purpose suggest it is extremely my jam.

Says the man who slates RDR2! :pac:

Says the man who slates RDR2! :pac:

Absolutely, but this sounds like it actually has gameplay systems and things to see (however preposterously). That’s a big difference from the flavourless ****e of RDR2 - but we’ll see!

Absolutely, but this sounds like it actually has gameplay systems and things to see (however preposterously). That’s a big difference from the flavourless ****e of RDR2 - but we’ll see!

You see that's not factually correct either.
    RDR2 does have game-play systems and it does have an astonishing amount of stuff to see

Even if I also have major issues myself with some of RDR2s design (Primarily pointless filler and a god awful travel system)

Travelling from point a to point b is a repetative choir in RDR2
    Death stranding it seems has the exact same fundamental problems when travelling from point A to Point B with folks scoring this high even if they openly admit that the core of the game-play loop is boring

You can't possible use one stick to beat one game with and apply polar opposite logic to Death Stranding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm about 20 hours in and i love it. The walking mechanics are great, when you make a delivery it feels like you have done some work, not that you just held down a button. He does a great job of giving you something new just as you start to get bored. It's not just walking.

The opening few hours are like hiking around Kerry. Drizzle, green grass, mountains.

You can get lost on doing jobs, but once you get used to where you are going and what/how to carry things it's great.

The online stuff works well. You are on your own but on your own with loads of others. Helping each other but never meeting.

Best advise don't read any reviews just play it and enjoy it. It's an amazing game in lots of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

The online stuff works well. You are on your own but on your own with loads of others. Helping each other but never meeting.

So like, does that mean that by the time the rest of us start playing, the whole world will be full of stuff from the people already playing? Do you leave ladders and stuff lying around?

Rob2D wrote: »
    So like, does that mean that by the time the rest of us start playing, the whole world will be full of stuff from the people already playing? Do you leave ladders and stuff lying around?

I've been wondering that after reading a few reviews.

Really positive comments about some of the online interactions, but is it just going to be flooded with stuff at launch? Likewise if I play a year from now will I be missing out on a key part of the experience if there's no longer a community?

Rob2D wrote: »

I dont think it will loads in millions of ladders but enough from your server. I used a few ladders from well known reviewers, you give likes to things that help you.

Anything in the way you can delete and remove from just your world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I'm about 20 hours in and i love it. The walking mechanics are great, when you make a delivery it feels like you have done some work, not that you just held down a button. He does a great job of giving you something new just as you start to get bored. It's not just walking.

The opening few hours are like hiking around Kerry. Drizzle, green grass, mountains.

You can get lost on doing jobs, but once you get used to where you are going and what/how to carry things it's great.

Best advise don't read any reviews just play it and enjoy it. It's an amazing game in lots of ways.

Ahh no your grand have canceled that Smyths preorder anyways not into the idea of delivering boxes for a lot of game time

Will probably get when it’s on sale at Xmas or January

See this was the problem with hiding so much of the gameplay

biggebruv wrote: »
    Ahh no your grand have canceled that Smyths preorder anyways not into the idea of delivering boxes for a lot of game time

Will probably get when it’s on sale at Xmas or January

See this was the problem with hiding so much of the gameplay

They hid it because it's amazing to discover it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think it's reviewing a lot higher due to it being a Kojima game. Really it appears to be an average game.

Online one word keeps popping up "boring"

https://twitter.com/nathan_brown/status/1190182964530991104?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey grumpypants how did you manage to get a copy early?

I think it's reviewing a lot higher due to it being a Kojima game. Really it appears to be an average game.

Online one word keeps popping up "boring"

https://twitter.com/nathan_brown/status/1190182964530991104?s=19

I'm not going to second guess reviewers who have played the game when I haven't.

However, that seems really unprofessional from Edge. They expect people to pay money to read their magazine, yet they won't review a major game because they can't be bothered to play through it? I get that he doesn't like it, but I don't like parts of my job and I don't just not do them and have a moan on twitter.

When are devs going to understand? Fast travel is not a difficulty balancing matter, it's a quality of life feature. We're not skipping challenge, we're skipping over repeating the same paths over and over again after having already done the work to discover the fast travel point in the first place.

I haven't played the game, but it's pretty clear from what I've read that traversal is an important core part of the gameplay.

Having fast travel would be like putting fast travel to the finish line into Gran Turismo. Why bother going around the same track over and over again having already seen it once?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah, I absolutely would not subscribe to the idea that it's okay for a game to be boring, it 100% is not.

Some people will say anything to justify something Kojima does. There was talk amongst fans that he intentionally made MGS5 underwhelming, as if that's a totally okay thing to do.

If you want me to part with my hard earned cash and 70+ hours of my time, your game better fcucking not be boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah, this doesn't look like a game for me.
    Kojima is mental.

When I read comments like "glorious mess" I can't help think they would call it a plain old mess if it was from an unknown dev. But it's from Kojima so there must be some deeper meaning behind how boring it is.

Advertisement