Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kinda Funny and Danny O'Dwyer used a phrase which I don't quite agree with that the game is boring and that's ok and that games don't need to be fun

What a nauseating quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's not boring. It just doesn't blast you with non stop action and gives you time to explore. This gives the scary /action parts much more impact.

I love just wandering and having a break from it all.

Much like days gone players will love it as they aren't on a timeline to play it like reviewers are.

But it isn't for everyone. But it is original and ground breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yong's review which I found decent. Might be refreshing to anyone frustrated with journos being gunk at reviews.

Y'know I thought I'd hate it but it looks like something I could actually enjoy. That said I don't feel it's worth a full-price purchase so I'm definitely going to be waiting for PC release and some cheaper digital retailers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To counteract the 'boring' quote, Silent Hill 2 isn't a fun game to play. Also happens to be one of the greatest games ever made and a masterpiece of storytelling.

As for glorious mess, plenty of games fit that bill that are well regarded and loved. Fallout New Vegas, Nier and Nier Automata, Final Fantasy 7, Pathologic, Planescape Torment etc. Inventive games with a hodge podge of ideas that don't always work but you appreciate how inventive they are and are greater than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Silent Hill 2 isn't a fun game to play.

But it's also not boring. I guess 'entertaining' is better description for general positive experience of media. You can be scared, disturbed, intrigued, mystified and even confused with a piece of media, it can still be entertaining and you feel a retroactive positive experience of the game even if it was terrifying in certain moments. A game being boring would mean if SH2 couldn't even scare you, make you interested in any of the story or be impressed at the level design/graphics (they were incredible at the time for a console).

From what I can tell media outlets just find the concept boring and can't seem to get past it. But we know they don't even like games and are totally shyte at them so who cares what they say.

• Advertisement

Yong's review which I found decent. Might be refreshing to anyone frustrated with journos being gunk at reviews.

Y'know I thought I'd hate it but it looks like something I could actually enjoy. That said I don't feel it's worth a full-price purchase so I'm definitely going to be waiting for PC release and some cheaper digital retailers.

He did actually play it at least, i found his ladder and a few other bits that helped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

quokula wrote: »
    I'm not going to second guess reviewers who have played the game when I haven't.

However, that seems really unprofessional from Edge. They expect people to pay money to read their magazine, yet they won't review a major game because they can't be bothered to play through it? I get that he doesn't like it, but I don't like parts of my job and I don't just not do them and have a moan on twitter.

That is unbelieveable. Love it or hate it, it's arguably the biggest game of the year. And they just can't be arsed?

And he's the boss too. I shudder to think what the rest of the place is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm a little disappointed with the reviews (even though they seem generally positive).

It does sound like a slog for first half at least.

However, I am utterly intrigued tbh.

I have alot of patience, Retro made an excellent point about silent hill 2.

There are alot of games I didn't enjoy in the addictive, can't put this down, kind of a way bit that I persevered with. Typically this resulted in a pretty big pay off and a memorable experience.

Add to SH2, Everyone's gone to the rapture, Rime and even the likes of ICO/SOTV/Last guardian.

That being said, I probably will have to wait for a Xmas holiday or something to really try this. An evening after work in winter might be a tough sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cory Barlog tweet

I'm delighted that he's behind this idea of creating something unique and off the beaten path, but I've far more faith in Barlog to do something right, not so much with Kojima. Actually, I really don't know where the love for Kojima is coming from. Yeah, the MGS series was pretty damn good, 2 and 3 being standouts for me, but he loves to include long boring crap conversations that you just want to skip. Ruined 4 for me, which would have been brilliant otherwise.
    Rob2D wrote: »
    That is unbelieveable. Love it or hate it, it's arguably the biggest game of the year. And they just can't be arsed?

And he's the boss too. I shudder to think what the rest of the place is like.

I read it more like, they didn't want us to give a review before it's finished, but it's so boring that we didn't finish it in time for next print. I'm sure the review will be there in the following edition.

I'm gonna echo some others here, gonna wait for more player reviews and most likely pick it up in a sale, or if player reviews are crap i'll wait for it to be on PS+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He did actually play it at least, i found his ladder and a few other bits that helped me out.

What you giving it?
    7/8/9?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Been watching proper gameplay footage tonight and more reviews I just don’t think I will buy this at all now definitely not for me had no idea this was like 60% about delivering boxes

noodler wrote: »
    What you giving it?
    7/8/9?

I don't give scores but it is a game you need to play because it has just changed gaming and you need to understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't give scores but it is a game you need to play because it has just changed gaming and you need to understand why.

How you get an early copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

See, someone said something vaguely similar to me about Journey and some other artsy type games, and I hated them all. Seems like this will be similar to me, lost on me if you will. Hate hidden meaning type games!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I think your overblowing it abit with that sorta talk

Doom
    Super mario 64
    Tomb raider
    Resident evil 1
    Metal gear solid
    Resident evil 4

These games changed gaming by bringing in completely new ways to how we look and actually play games

Death stranding looks like the same open world repetitive stuff we’ve been getting for the past decade

Mission received - go traverse the map to location - do mission - repeat
    Except from what it looks like traveling the map with your cargo is the mission

I’m not saying it’s a bad game but I’m not paying 60euros for it next Friday

If 40 hours in and the game still hasn' introduced some meaningful, fun / innovative gaming mechanic I cannot blame Edge magazine for not finishing it

You don't need to spunk 70+ hours when when the first 40 are ****e anyway

That Danny O Dywer review is such hipster nonsense, like the game is some higher power while actively admitting the game is boring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm delighted that he's behind this idea of creating something unique and off the beaten path, but I've far more faith in Barlog to do something right, not so much with Kojima. Actually, I really don't know where the love for Kojima is coming from. Yeah, the MGS series was pretty damn good, 2 and 3 being standouts for me, but he loves to include long boring crap conversations that you just want to skip. Ruined 4 for me, which would have been brilliant otherwise.

I read it more like, they didn't want us to give a review before it's finished, but it's so boring that we didn't finish it in time for next print. I'm sure the review will be there in the following edition.

I'm gonna echo some others here, gonna wait for more player reviews and most likely pick it up in a sale, or if player reviews are crap i'll wait for it to be on PS+.

He made a point of saying they ran out of enthusiasm and not out of time. And in a follow up tweet said they wouldn’t review it the following month either.

I guess drumming up twitter controversy probably sells more magazines than actually doing what you’d expect them to do and review the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In fairness to them they can't review it without finishing it so stuck between a rock and a hard place. They are doing a 40 hour write up on the game which is prettyuch a review so don't see any controversy.

USgamer said it's like a game from the PS2 era when you got unconventional games that didn't stick to genre norms. They might not have been entirely successful but they were fascinating and interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

So it's...

"You are over encumbered"

For 70 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Doesn't sound like my thing.

Surely more rewarding to do a lot of walking around and getting messages in real life rather than in a game, not to mention better for your health.

Wish Kojima had remained with Konami and I could have got my dream of a Liquid Snake-led Metal Gear game set before the events of Shadow Moses. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

All the trailers and I am still confused wth the story's about...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've been lukewarm on this since the first trailer.

Having been a massive Metal Gear fan I always felt that the messianic worship of Kojima could eventually end in a situation like what Death Stranding seems to represent.

This time four years ago we were all playing our way through The Phantom Pain, a game with such incredible open ended gameplay set in an open world (that didn't really need to be an open world) with a narrative that didn't really mean anything that eventually looped back to the first game and had an important chapter left out of the game altogether.

Now Kojimas new game, his first without his abusive paymasters in Konami, seems to be an ill judged affair that seems to be posturing itself as something so avant garde that it doesn't need to be engaging as a game.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'll play this game and feel differently, but the thought of plodding around carrying boxes for over 70 hours just doesn't appeal to me. My time as a gamer is something I have much less of as an adult with responsibilities, and as a result I'd like something to keep me engaged with a product I'll be spending my hard earned money on. Death Stranding was something I was looking forward to albeit quietly, and my reservations would seem to have been well placed.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a convoluted narrative, the lack of which in The Phantom Pain left me a little disappointed, but at least TPP allowed for fun to be had in the game world. In fact all the MGS games allowed for fun and experimentation, those games were so throughly play tested the control systems and gameplay mechanics just cried out to be played with, particularly on subsequent playthroughs.
    With Death Stranding I'm struggling to see where the replay value will be.

The notion that this is some fork in the road for games to become in someway radically different just isn't something I can see happening.
    Arguably Kojima already brought gaming to that fork in the road with MGS2, the industry and more to the point the public didn't care to follow the route that games narrative prescribed.

The most likely outcome will be Kojima being sat down by his new bosses at Sony and being given a friendly reminder that they expect something at least approaching a product that attempts to appeal to a large number of gamers. Whatever creative freedom they've allowed him on this project may well be changed if he continues to work for them after this.

A walking simulator that offers little in its game mechanics other than the ability to frustrate the player (again I may be way off the mark here but it would seem to be what reviewers are saying) and an avant garde narritve isn't guaranteed to get them a reasonable return on their investment in him.

Sadly it would seem that Death Stranding will be by Kojimas standards a flop. What he does from here should be interesting.

Glazers Out!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In fairness to them they can't review it without finishing it so stuck between a rock and a hard place. They are doing a 40 hour write up on the game which is prettyuch a review so don't see any controversy.

USgamer said it's like a game from the PS2 era when you got unconventional games that didn't stick to genre norms. They might not have been entirely successful but they were fascinating and interesting.

The game is called God Hand and the difference being is it had actual brilliant game mechanics that were misunderstood by a **** gamer.

Not walking around like a prick for 70 hours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BeerWolf wrote: »
    All the trailers and I am still confused wth the story's about...

Delivroo simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm a simple pleb and can't appreciate Kojima's art...

bjawk18aaaw31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm a simple pleb and can't appreciate Kojima's art...

bjawk18aaaw31.jpg

Seen that in a few reviews and was thinking what the f#$k. Wonder what the deep hidden meaning is, cos if EA or 2K did the same we'd never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Sounds like the Terrance mallick of video games. I was never a fan of kojima so that €60 will be spent elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Think I'll be waiting until it ends up on PS Plus.

Have watched the IGN and GameSpot video reviews. Even GameSpot's 9 review doesn't even make me remotely interested in playing it.

A hiking slash courier simulator with Facebook likes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement