Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance overlap

Options
  • 02-12-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,
    My policy ends in January, I have checked on line for quotes and it is alot cheaper to start my new policy in December 2016 than to wait until the 1st of January. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

airmech wrote: »
    Hi,
    My policy ends in January, I have checked on line for quotes and it is alot cheaper to start my new policy in December 2016 than to wait until the 1st of January. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Nothing stopping you doing it but you will have to send in your NCB to your new insurer.

They will check it and see that you bought a policy when you had a live policy running at the same time.

They could well cancel your new policy as the automatic assumption would be that there is something dodgy afoot.

If that's what you want to do how about cancelling your existing policy say on the 29th December then start the new one?

They will probably charge you a cancellation fee though which is usually around €50. You will also lose this years ncd as you didn't hold the policy for a full year.

Unless it's a very large saving on a like for like policy ie excess, benefits etc then personally I wouldn't bother.

Advertisement