Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FinderScope options

Options
  • 02-12-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I have an 8" dob with a 9x50 Right Angled Finderscope. I do most of my viewing in my back garden, which is in a reasonably dark suburb of Cork.

I'm thinking of changing the finder and I am hoping I can tap into the experience of this board for advice on either a Red Dot finder, a Telrad, a Rigel Quikfinder or an expensive Illuminated Right Angle Corrected Image Finder.
    From reading reviews, etc, it seems that the Telrad or Rigel will suit me, the Rigel seems to be recommended for smaller scopes where as my dob should be able to handle the larger Telrad. Has anyone a similar setup to me who could offer some advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 AreWeAlone

I only have experience with the red dot finder and, although it's a bit finicky and I've had to do some running repairs, I find it does the job acceptably. The constant slagging it gets in reviews is unjustified imo.

Apart from being more expensive, the Telrad seems a bit ungainly and cumbersome, and you could say it's a case of overkill for what should be a fairly basic function of the scope. But your 8-inch will manage it alright.

Don't know much about the Rigel sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

I've no experience with telerads but I second the red dot finders.

I've used them with 16" dobs in dark sites very successfully.

Michael.

Advertisement