Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie MTB half the Wicklow way spin...Details T.B.C

Options
  • 02-12-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Just throwing it up here to have a thread by itself...
    Not sure of any details but sure might as well start somewhere.

Start from Marley park and finish in Glendalough or Glenmalure???
    Transport to be organised for the return trip....
    Distance about 50kmish....
    When....presuming some day over the Christmas break or a weekend...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Marley to Glenmalure is 60 km and near 2300m in gain - did it earlier in the year, a lot of featureless fire road but great achievement coming over the last hill out of glendalough!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone got a route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

count me in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Worth finishing in Glenmalure, the scenery between Glendalough and Glenmalure is some of the best on the whole Wicklow Way if the weather is nice. I did the full route south-north a few weeks ago on a HT26. Very easy to follow. We did it on a Thursday which was ideal in terms of not meeting walkers in the mountains. It's something to be conscious of when doing it at weekends.

Have you a strava gpx plastic. I might give S-N a bash before the one planned

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Have you a strava gpx plastic. I might give S-N a bash before the one planned

Sure. https://www.strava.com/activities/736554165

We made one wrong turn just after Glendalough, you'll see it on the plot. Long day. You'd spent at least a few hours in the dark doing it this late in the year. Wouldn't be the worst time to do it mind given all the recent dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Plastik wrote: »
    Jesus, that's impressive!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Think I'd be murdered if I brought a mountain bike home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Weepsie wrote: »

You know you want to join us.......mountain bikes aren't just for Christmas :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just brought home a CX bike unannounced so I've used up my allowance for a while. Looks great though.

Melanie Spath has a blog post about doing it from a few years ago. Think she might have an account here judging by posts a little prior to her blog post.

http://melaniespath.blogspot.ie/2009/10/for-one-last-time-i-was-going-to-take.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know you want to join us.......mountain bikes aren't just for Christmas :D
    Actually, they could be;
    http://www.biking.ie/index.php/bike-hire

I was up cheering on the lads doing the 100 mile Ultra on the Wicklow way so decided to walk in and check it out around Glencullen...raging I didnt bring the MTB with me...

Anyone around Saturday?? :P:D

I was up cheering on the lads doing the 100 mile Ultra on the Wicklow way so decided to walk in and check it out around Glencullen...raging I didnt bring the MTB with me...

To recce or do the spin to Glenmalure? Actually, it doesn't matter, I'm up for either :pac:

colm18 wrote: »
    To recce or do the spin to Glenmalure? Actually, it doesn't matter, I'm up for either :pac:

Good question :D
    We could recce the lot!!
    Getting back could be a pain in the hole though would have to try rope a driver in...Might be too short notice.

Im thinking start on the Dublin mountain way route to joining onto the Wicklow way...mind you we'd be cheating then...:cool:

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/dmwmap3_tallaght_hellfireclub_new.pdf
    http://www.dublinmountains.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/dmwmap2_hellfire_threerock.pdf

Rathdrum train station only 10km from glenmalure, could be an option?

Rathdrum train station only 10km from glenmalure, could be an option?

That will allow for pints!! Whoop:cool:
    Let me check on a driver i will come back to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I've done the first half of the WW a few times (and the whole thing: https://www.strava.com/activities/650827854 ), and I'd suggest you finish up in Glendalough and spin home on the road - it's not too far if you're a group. The reason I say it is the Glendalough to Glenmalure section is a very, very long fireroad climb (400+ m) followed by a long, mostly fireroad descent - it doesn't add a huge amount to the spin. The open mountain section at the top with a view of Lugnaquila is nice, admittedly.

This is what I'm suggesting, with a stop for food in Laragh: https://www.strava.com/activities/575681160

• Advertisement

Looks like you got a cracking day for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A nephew of mine won that race.
    Mad fecker!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A nephew of mine won that race.
    Mad fecker!

After spectating Eamonn puts our little half effort to shame really :)
    Mad things but fair play epic effort put in...navigation on top of the tiredness felt sorry for a few but the most were in great spirits..

Colm are we thinking there and back now im not sure where you are at fitness wise...
    I was allowing 8 hours but looking at Mr grieves strava looks a lot shorter
    better again ill ring you!!

From what I know of Mr.Grieves (read strava stalking) I won't be anywhere near his pace anyway :-P If cycling back, I' presume we're talking the return trip on the road?

From what I know of Mr.Grieves (read strava stalking) I won't be anywhere near his pace anyway :-P If cycling back, I' presume we're talking the return trip on the road?

Yes indeed but I think I've a driver....
    So see how we go?
    Decide in glendalough power on over to Glenmalure??

Yes indeed but I think I've a driver....
    So see how we go?
    Decide in glendalough power on over to Glenmalure??

Driver sounds good to me ;-) pm me your number, lost yours when I got this new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Can you let me know when you're thinking of doing this.
    I'd be thinking of doing some of the route so won't be getting in the way of arrangements you've made to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

full MTB or would a hardtail cut it..???
    also like to know when the date is ..Xmas break as originally mentioned by OP ?

You'll do it on a hard tail absolutely no problem.

• Advertisement

Lads myself and Colm18 are reccying the whole HALF route tomorrow you are more than welcome to join us still with the offer of a lift back to the big Shmoke(places limited mind)
    9am Marley park but I'm afraid to ask where it starts from exactly :p:D

We will defo be doing it again over the chrimbo we just have to confirm that spin and only fair we know the right way for that one...

pm me your phone numbers as i am not always at a a desk.

Advertisement