Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie MTB half the Wicklow way spin...Details T.B.C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Now you say the whole route, whole as in to Glendalough right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

:D yep well maybe Glenmalure too!!:p

colm18 wrote: »
    Now you say the whole route, whole as in to Glendalough right?!

Fixed that for you.....:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

A tip: there is a tap with drinking water here (at the end of the road section near Oldbridge):

https://goo.gl/maps/Hey4i1ZL7CP2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Lads myself and Colm18 are reccying the whole HALF route tomorrow you are more than welcome to join us

Recce away folks. Have to do some shopping :mad: in the morning but will join in over the xmas. I'll pm you my number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A nephew of mine won that race.
    Mad fecker!

Pat is your Nephew?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

On Christmas tree duty tomorrow.

Hope the weather picks up for ye. Looking forward to the reports. Enjoy :)

Silly question given the terrain a mush mash of everything any idea'rs on tyre pressure??

Silly question given the terrain a mush mash of everything any idea'rs on tyre pressure??

I'd imagine a lot of it will be slippery mud and wet rocks so I'd be going on the softer side of things. Depends on tubeless or not though.

So how did ye get on? Did ye get lost/kidnapped by hikers? ;) Grand day for it in the end.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    So how did ye get on? Did ye get lost/kidnapped by hikers? ;) Grand day for it in the end.

Seriously tough! We were a fair bit slower than I expected, was a looong day
    https://www.strava.com/activities/798665077/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1481393668

https://www.strava.com/activities/798665077/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1481393668

Was there much hike a bike involved some of those gradients look wicked.

Any issues with walkers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

In fairness ye were kind of led into it...

@Plastik posted a ride which was pretty awesome, 16km/h ish with a 3% average climbing is unreal. Mel Spath was even faster.

Then Mr Grieve's was as fast again but he hardly stopped at all; probably a handful of lads in the country capable of that.

60Km on a mtb is a hard day, well done

@Iwillhtfu - there was a lot of walking/dragging the bikes as well as lifting them over gates etc. No issues at all with walkers , all very friendly which was great.

@ford2600 - yep , we spent much of the day asking each other how the f*ck did Mr.Grieves, Mel Spath & Plastik manage those speeds, amazing.

@Iwillhtfu - there was a lot of walking/dragging the bikes as well as lifting them over gates etc. No issues at all with walkers , all very friendly which was great.

@ford2600 - yep , we spent much of the day asking each other how the f*ck did Mr.Grieves, Mel Spath & Plastik manage those speeds, amazing.

The mere mortals got to Glendalough...
    Eventually ;)

That waterstop was a god send for one of us!! What happens on the Wicklow way stays on the Wicklow way!!

MODS delete this thread and never speak of it again.......

All joking aside it's not an easy spin and should be given respect.
    Navigation is handy enough but you would want to be familiar with the areas.
    Colm knew the first section very well I knew 2 and 3 and we kinda blagged section 4 as in we knew the get outs but not the trail. Garmin maps only used the once on the last section(while thinking we were finished and heading to Laragh we started heading towards glenmacnass on a trail) it eventually dropped into glendalough.
    A few surprises on the way as in terrain.
    Weather was a very important factor and we were blessed. Clear skies and no rain. The mist can drop on the high points and your very easily thrown off track. Wind in places and downhill on slippy railway sleepers at this time of year particularly from the drop off djouce can be dodgy.
    Transition from road to mtb is a complete different story..60km mtb today felt like 200km road at the end...bring plenty of food. You won't last as long on the mountains as on the road. Bring a can of coke as a break in emergency. Colm saved us at one point with the sugar blast.
    A great day had by all and well worth doing scenery was great but not sure I want to see the Sugarloaf again in the near future :D
    I'll think of more and throw it up if yis are still interested......
    Oh and you'd want to be in the full of your health fitness wise to consider the spin IMO..I thought I was fit but have a few questions to ask myself during the week...
    Rolling time was 5 hours but we were near 6 plus hours out..my phone battery died so will confirm actual time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Get that phone fixed, man.

:D

On a serious note, I wish I was there with you. No MTB in the house though, and even Ticknock to Glencullen is more than my CX skills can take... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Enduro wrote: »
    Pat is your Nephew?

Yes.
    He does runs like that for sport.
    I reckon he needs a hobby.!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Alek wrote: »
    Get that phone fixed, man.

even Ticknock to Glencullen is more than my CX skills can take... :cool:

Is there a good route from Three ROck to Glencullen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Define "good" ;-)

• Advertisement

Rolling time was 5 hours but we were near 6 plus hours out..my phone battery died so will confirm actual time.

From Marlay to Glendalough it was 4:30 rolling...the 10k from Crone Wood to Ballinastoe took over 2 hours :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Alek wrote: »
    Define "good" ;-)
    Anything usable to a fairly unskilled rider like myself?

From Marlay to Glendalough it was 4:30 rolling...the 10k from Crone Wood to Ballinastoe took over 2 hours :eek:

It was only a reccy.......had I known we were under time constraints i may not have taken as many pictures :D

Is there a good route from Three ROck to Glencullen?

Loaded question Andrew...
    Loads of routes but bike choice and skill level would define "good" route tbh.
    The better your skills the wider range of bikes you could do it on.

What bike are you thinking about doing it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Fair play, full or half it's a great spin. I think if I had only ever planned the ride half the route I'm not sure I would have ever gone back to do the other half. We arrived in Glenmalure after 65km/4.5h and I remember looking at the Garmin knowing that not only had we another 85km to do but that riding it S-N that you book-end all the climbing for the end. I'm not a strong MTBer and my technical skills are far from great so later on became a struggle from mental fatigue as much as anything else.

My true avg speed for the full route was probably somewhere around 12.5/13kph. We only stopped twice properly, for 10min at Glenmalure and again for about 10min at Glendalough. The big discrepancy between moving/total time on my ride was the Garmin auto pausing on the hike-a-bike sections.

It took two hours longer to ride the WW from Clonegal to Marley Park than it took me to ride Cork-Bray solo last year! And then it was the bones of another hour after that to get home on the MTB :rolleyes:

Im thinking of doing the Dublin mountain way this weekend...anyone done that yet?
    Ive walked it already but curious about the mtb version...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Im thinking of doing the Dublin mountain way this weekend...anyone done that yet?
    Ive walked it already but curious about the mtb version...

Yeah I do a good bit of it regularly, east to west is the best direction, the descent to Tibradden is fun but a very hard climb in the other direction.

Yeah I do a good bit of it regularly, east to west is the best direction, the descent to Tibradden is fun but a very hard climb in the other direction.

What route is it? any strava links I'll be up Dublin direction over the Christmas break so I see a number of adventurous spins on the cards. :)

Hamburger hill!!:eek:
    I ran it many times on run the line.....
    Near chocked on a jelly bean one year....:P

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What route is it? any strava links I'll be up Dublin direction over the Christmas break so I see a number of adventurous spins on the cards. :)

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/filead...reclub_new.pdf
    http://www.dublinmountains.ie/filead..._threerock.pdf

There are more links to segments you'll get them on that site ;)

Advertisement