Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a class repeat an exam because a few individuals were caught cheating.

Options
  • 02-12-2016 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

We had an exam last week in college. The exams were marked, grades published and later an email was circulated saying that a couple of people have been identified cheating on the exam. The lecturer is talking to the college about if he should take a action against the identified people, or have the entire class repeat the exam.

Now I'm not happy with this one bit. I spent a week studying, did an honest exam and achieved a high mark. There are so many deadlines in the next 2 weeks that I don't how I'm going to revise notes again. Is there any legality in the college forcing us to forgo our original scores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

It is a complete pain both for the lecturer and the students when that happen. The problem is that because there was more than one person cheating, the standard and integrity of the results for has been undermined for every student. If these marks count towards your final grade you may well have to resist exam, if not then hopefully they will just set offenders to zero and leave the rest of you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What are you not happy about?

The bit about the college lecturer talking to the college or the fact that some of your colleagues cheated?

Unless there is substantial, verifiable evidence that all students cheated, it would be extremely unlikely that all students would be forced to resit the exam because of the actions of a few. So my advice to you would be don't listen to hearsay, conjecture and vague information. Focus on what you have to do between now and Christmas and perhaps get the class representative to get a definitive answer from the lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I found the college quality assurance handbook online.

It states the procedure a invigilator (the lecturer in this case) should follow if he suspects cheating in an exam. He did not follow all of them. He is supposed to interview the suspected individual(s) before they leave the room, which he did not. He did the remaining steps of reporting to the college ect ect...

The penalties stated only apply to any individuals caught cheating, not spreading over an entire class of students. So if he tries to make us resit this exam, i'm using this on him. There is not a chance in hell,I'm repeating this exam.

Advertisement