Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance policy not cancelled

• 02-12-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all.

I changed my life / mortgage insurance policy a number of months ago from one company to another - through an insurance broker.

At the time of changeover - I am almost certain i cancelled the first policy - although I don't have a written record or any proof of doing this. I've only noticed in my bank account statement now that the original insurance company have continued the policy and charging me over the past couple of months.

Without any proof of cancellation of the policy do I have any hope of getting the payments back or is there anything I can do?

I've tried to contact the broker that sold me the policy to see if they have any record but I they are no longer in business... :/

Not expecting to get any payment back at this stage now, I guess I should have noticed the issue after the first payment was taken myself - but any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jimzy wrote: »
    Hi all.

I changed my life / mortgage insurance policy a number of months ago from one company to another - through an insurance broker.

At the time of changeover - I am almost certain i cancelled the first policy - although I don't have a written record or any proof of doing this. I've only noticed in my bank account statement now that the original insurance company have continued the policy and charging me over the past couple of months.

Without any proof of cancellation of the policy do I have any hope of getting the payments back or is there anything I can do?

I've tried to contact the broker that sold me the policy to see if they have any record but I they are no longer in business... :/

Not expecting to get any payment back at this stage now, I guess I should have noticed the issue after the first payment was taken myself - but any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

I would be more worried about the new policy, only bought in the last few months and the broker that sold it already "gone". Are you sure you have a new policy before you make sure the old one is cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

I would be more worried about the new policy, only bought in the last few months and the broker that sold it already "gone". Are you sure you have a new policy before you make sure the old one is cancelled.

Thanks - yeah that was my immediate concern when I couldn't get them on the phone. I contacted the new insurance company directly and the new policy is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

How did you attempt to cancel the first policy? Written instruction etc?

Advertisement