Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What phone to get rid of apps?

• 02-12-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice please.

I'm looking for a cheap(ish) phone that has a fair bit of memory but will allow me to delete all or most apps and just leave 1 app (Spotify) that is easy and obvious to access.

Some background info: My brother has intellectual difficulties and by far his main love and source of pleasure is music. He does not need or would use a phone but is able to use and enjoy an MP3 player. However 3 such players have gone missing or got broken over the past 5 years and with them all the downloaded content causing him a bit of distress. As far as I know MP3 players don't have the ability to download the Spotify app.

I think the ideal Christmas present for him would be a portable "Spotify player" (ie a smartphone) with obviously a subscription so he can use it offline.

All the other apps that come with a smartphone will confuse him but I'm sure he would cope with the Spotify layout if for example it is the only app on the screen when he powers on. Is this possible?
    I would remove the SIM and download through the Internet at my place.

Any suggestions on a suitable phone? Good memory essential.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Choochtown wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please.

I'm looking for a cheap(ish) phone that has a fair bit of memory but will allow me to delete all or most apps and just leave 1 app (Spotify) that is easy and obvious to access.

Some background info: My brother has intellectual difficulties and by far his main love and source of pleasure is music. He does not need or would use a phone but is able to use and enjoy an MP3 player. However 3 such players have gone missing or got broken over the past 5 years and with them all the downloaded content causing him a bit of distress. As far as I know MP3 players don't have the ability to download the Spotify app.

I think the ideal Christmas present for him would be a portable "Spotify player" (ie a smartphone) with obviously a subscription so he can use it offline.

All the other apps that come with a smartphone will confuse him but I'm sure he would cope with the Spotify layout if for example it is the only app on the screen when he powers on. Is this possible?
    I would remove the SIM and download through the Internet at my place.

Any suggestions on a suitable phone? Good memory essential.

Seeing as its not being used as a phone, would you consider a small tablet - have a relative with hydrocephalus which affects him similarly, he uses a Samsung Galaxy Tab with most stuff removed, the bigger screen helps him navigate the stuff he uses better than on a phone. It takes memory cards as well so the sky's the limit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

He really needs something that fits in his pocket. He goes on lots of bus trips etc and a tablet wouldn't really suit. He's managed to cope with previous MP3 players so size not really a problem. I do think he would be a bit overwhelmed/ confused with lots of apps on a device. He would tend to obsess about detail.
    I think apps on the phone would be OK as long as he could navigate easily to the Spotify one or if it's icon was isolated or enlarged.

(But thanks for reply Stone Deaf)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Samsung specifically made devices that were phone-like, but had no phone in them.

Known as the 'Galaxy Player' range of devices. A search on eBay might point to a keenly priced purchase.

Not exactly up to date, from a technical point of view, but maybe would work with Spotify.

There's a wiki page on the range of released devices here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Player

Just an idea. I wouldn't be familiar with the minimum specs needed for Spotify, but some of the later models might work with the app.

EDIT: Some of the models had awful awful viewing angles for their screens. Samsung tat.

I would really suggest, if you're in Dublin, window shopping at the boutiques and kiosks on Moore Street, as the Player models do pop up often.

There's one on Adverts.ie at the moment, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Could you use a launcher like Nova Prime or Action Launcher to hide everything except Spotify?

Mr E wrote: »
    Could you use a launcher like Nova Prime or Action Launcher to hide everything except Spotify?

Is that easy to set up?
    Would it work on all phones?

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    Samsung specifically made devices that were phone-like, but had no phone in them.

Known as the 'Galaxy Player' range of devices. A search on eBay might point to a keenly priced purchase.

Not exactly up to date, from a technical point of view, but maybe would work with Spotify.

There's a wiki page on the range of released devices here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Player

Just an idea. I wouldn't be familiar with the minimum specs needed for Spotify, but some of the later models might work with the app.

EDIT: Some of the models had awful awful viewing angles for their screens. Samsung tat.

I would really suggest, if you're in Dublin, window shopping at the boutiques and kiosks on Moore Street, as the Player models do pop up often.

There's one on Adverts.ie at the moment, as well.

They seem ideal, particularly if I could get one with no pre-installed apps.

I wonder if anyone knows how I could find out if they would be able to handle Spotify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They seem ideal, particularly if I could get one with no pre-installed apps.

I wonder if anyone knows how I could find out if they would be able to handle Spotify?

Could you just leave the apps on the phone, as most have some that can't be removed, and just put the Spotify app on the home screen with no other apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is that easy to set up?

It is easy to setup, if you've any problems just come here and ask us, loads of people use it and can help you.

Nova Launcher will work on any phone and will let you hide all the apps you want. It'll let you increase the side of an app icon too so it's easy to see. I did this for my mum's phone too as she was totally overwhelmed with it at first.

There are Launchers for older people too that might work for your brother, they usually have very a simple interface with big icons. Something like this : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wiser.home&hl=en

Spotify will work on any phone btw. If your brother listens to a lot of music get a phone with an SD card so he can listen offline(while the internet is off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is that easy to set up?

Should do yeah. You can hide absolutely everything, but you'll still have access to the settings for Nova/Action Launcher via a menu on the app drawer. If your brother gets nosey, he may find those settings.

Also note that the "hide apps" feature is only available on the paid version of each (it's only a few euro to unlock).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

• Advertisement

Many thanks for all the good advice.

I got a Wiley Fox. I'll find out on Christmas day if it was a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Many thanks for all the good advice.

I got a Wiley Fox. I'll find out on Christmas day if it was a good choice.

Just remember you'll need to set it up. You should open it now and do that rather than using up your day on the Christmas maybe.
    I hope you'll be happy with it and that your bro will.

Advertisement