Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring cooker hot plate

Options
  • 02-12-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I have a home made meat smoker but the electric element failed. I got a used replacement but this replacement has 4 wires (the old one had 2).
    I put a multimeter across the terminals and got a reading of 240 ohms between 2 wires so I connected these. It heats but on a low setting. How should I wire the new one to get full power?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I presume the other 2 wires are another element in the same housing but you didn't mention any resistance so perhaps it's burned out and gone open circuit leaving only the low heat element working. If you're unsure you should not mess around with this stuff of course. Electricity is dangerous and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LooseNut

Thanks, I well used to electrics, there is no reading from the other 2 wires. Yes possible that it's gone open circuit but I suspect I'm not wiring it correctly. The control knob I'm using is controlling the temperature with only 2 wire coming from it to the element. Maybe I'll need to get a different switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Moved to Electrical where you might get better replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The 2 wires giving 240 ohms, is there any reading between each of them and the other 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Murphap is probably right, should be readings on more than one pair of contacts. The element was probably wired to a three heat switch.

Very much doubt changing your switch will solve your issue though if only one element is intact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Clearly it is a double plate. No mystery there. If only 2 connections are giving a reading from any possible checks, one part is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LooseNut

No other readings from the other wires in any combination, I'll assume the element gone. I'll source another and hopefully that will do the trick.
    I'll go hungry in the meantime.
    Thanks all.

Advertisement